August 24th, 2010

Poll: Jersey voters give 'Shore' thumbs down

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/07/29/art.jerseyshore.file4.newsweek.jpg caption ="The cast of ‘The Jersey Shore’ gets low marks from New Jersey voters."](CNN) – It appears a majority of New Jersey residents agree with Gov. Chris Christie: The hit MTV reality show "Jersey Shore" is doing more harm than good to the Garden State.

According to the new poll from Quinnipiac University, 54 percent of New Jersey voters say the show is bad for the state's image. It's a sentiment that reaches across party lines (Republicans agree 57 – 18 percent while Democrats agree 52 – 22 percent) and gender division (men say the show is bad for the state 51 – 25 percent and women agree 57 – 15 percent).

Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, put the findings bluntly:

"New Jerseyans to New York: Keep your low-lifes at home and away from our seashore," he said.

The poll comes a month after Christie made clear he's no fan of the program that has launched a string of new stars including "Snooki," "The Situation" and "Jwwow."

"What it does is it takes a bunch of New Yorkers, who are – most of the people on 'Jersey Shore' are New Yorkers – takes a bunch of New Yorkers, drops them at the Jersey shore, and tries to make America feel like this is New Jersey," he said then.

The poll surveyed 1,190 New Jersey voters from August 9-17 and carries a sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. Ed L

This is political news?

August 24, 2010 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  2. JonnyC

I guess he doesn't realize that both New Jersey and New York are cultural cesspools... This is a pot-kettle situation.

August 24, 2010 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  3. Neil

Why is everybody making such a big deal about this dumb show?You don't like it don't watch it.Governor Christie,nothing better to do?

August 24, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  4. Ron in Califonia

MTV continues to put out a string of sleazy reality shows with sleazy people. If there is anything good about these programs it gives the sleazeballs an income and keeps them off welfare ...at last for now.

August 24, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  5. Niki

I think New Jersey gov. is being a little sensitive. I watch that show, not because it has mind bending plots, but because it's mind numbing entertainment. I am fully aware (as I'm sure MOST viewers are as well) that the majority of the cast is from New York. I do not look poorly on New York or New Jersey or Rhode Island for the cast. Just like I'm from Michigan, does that mean I'm from Detroit? No it does not.

If you're going to be a gov. then get a thicker skin. And honestly, what gives New Jersey a poor image to the rest of the country is all the whining and complaining about a state that probably attracts more tourists now than before, and probably helps out businesses more now than before.

August 24, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  6. Crystal

They are taking this way too far. I'm from NJ and no matter if the show was on or not; the state has a bad image. It starts with Christie and all of the harm he has brought to the state and state employees. Can we vote him out???

August 24, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  7. sandrakae

How are the ratings?

August 24, 2010 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  8. Poor Jersey

Poor Jersey,the top half is nothing but NYC lowlifes now and half the southern portion is Philly and Atlantic City mobsters.Only a couple of Counties,Cape May,Salem,and Cumberland could stilll be considered the Garden State.

August 24, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  9. RevZ

I really don't know who's more stupid: the "stars" of this show or the people that keep watching

August 24, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  10. A Concerned Parent

Who in their right mind would watch crap like this? I watched part of one show with my teenaged daughter – and then switched it off. The people on this show must be acting because they can't possibly be this stupid.

August 24, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  11. Augsbee

Seems to me The Real Housewives of New Jersey are just as low-lifes and trashy as those of Jersey Shore.

August 24, 2010 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  12. stefan

Not only is it bad for NJ, It is bad for the entire country.

August 24, 2010 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  13. Kelly

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch!

I am not a fan of the show, but the show in no way makes me think poorly about the state of New Jersey. I know that there are people like thise everywhere in the country, and a majority of the people in jersey are normal folks.

August 24, 2010 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  14. PEDRO

Just because someone ran a Poll of a topic does not make it politics. I can't believe there is not something more substantive for CNN to cover with 10 weeks until mid-term elections.

August 24, 2010 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  15. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Governor, I could not agree with you more. My only question is how can these mooks be considered "stars"? They aren't even representative of New Yorkers! They are a bunch of underachieving slackers being followed around by a camera crew seeing how they react to totally invented situations. I caught a small part of one episode and came to the conclusion that they took the worst parts of Survivor, Big Brother, etc. and came up with this garbage. I say send them to Alaska and let them be Caribou Barbie's problem. Maybe they can take over that house the reporter/stalker was renting and see how they interact with Todd?

August 24, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  16. punch em all not just snooki

Stupid is as stupid does

The show gets ratings and hence $, and that's the bottom line for MTV. How about a poll of the other 49 states and international markets? If everyone else in the world enjoys laughing at Guido/Guidette Idiot Nation who cares? Most of the characters aren't even originally from NJ

August 24, 2010 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  17. jack

the show is nothing but a joke and is just another example of the dumbing down of America. the sooner this is gone the better, unfortunately, it will probably be replaced with another load of garbage.

August 24, 2010 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  18. Shawn

This show, just like any other MTV program, kills braincells. It's what we are being fed and fortunately, I'm not biting.

August 24, 2010 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  19. Anonymous

What a bunch of losers

August 24, 2010 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  20. Saboth

I wonder if there will ever be tv shows where intelligent, responsible people are vindicated? It says something about a society when the village idiots are paid more than its scientists, policemen and teachers.

August 24, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. Monrob

CNN, why is this in the political Ticker?

August 24, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  22. MarylandMom

I can't believe that shows like this are considered for television. I guess people will just watch anything on TV. For my family, we choose quality television that teaches us something or enhances our lives. This falls in neither category. I would be ashamed if people thought that these slimy people represented my state too.

August 24, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  23. Shawn

This just in: New Jersey doesn't like plastic people!

August 24, 2010 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  24. kwa

get a grip people!

how is this show any different than any other reality show? the cast does the same thing as "The Real World" cast except they're 1000x funnier, and their appearance is way more over the top.

And what was Jersey known for before JS? it was just the smelly stretch of land between New York and Philly with an excellent highway system so you can get out of the state as fast as possible. Now, at least non-local people are actually stopping in Jersey for more than just gas and a coffee.

I guess I'd rather be known for living in the land of "guidos" than living in the land of sewage

August 24, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  25. gt

that shows how stupid those viewers are...

August 24, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |