August 24th, 2010

Poll: Jersey voters give 'Shore' thumbs down

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/07/29/art.jerseyshore.file4.newsweek.jpg caption ="The cast of ‘The Jersey Shore’ gets low marks from New Jersey voters."](CNN) – It appears a majority of New Jersey residents agree with Gov. Chris Christie: The hit MTV reality show "Jersey Shore" is doing more harm than good to the Garden State.

According to the new poll from Quinnipiac University, 54 percent of New Jersey voters say the show is bad for the state's image. It's a sentiment that reaches across party lines (Republicans agree 57 – 18 percent while Democrats agree 52 – 22 percent) and gender division (men say the show is bad for the state 51 – 25 percent and women agree 57 – 15 percent).

Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, put the findings bluntly:

"New Jerseyans to New York: Keep your low-lifes at home and away from our seashore," he said.

The poll comes a month after Christie made clear he's no fan of the program that has launched a string of new stars including "Snooki," "The Situation" and "Jwwow."

"What it does is it takes a bunch of New Yorkers, who are – most of the people on 'Jersey Shore' are New Yorkers – takes a bunch of New Yorkers, drops them at the Jersey shore, and tries to make America feel like this is New Jersey," he said then.

The poll surveyed 1,190 New Jersey voters from August 9-17 and carries a sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. No Way Joe

Put them all in the unemployment line. They stink.

August 24, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. jae

I have never seen this show, and I never will because just by looking at them, I would say that they are kids that should not be friends of yours. They are just nasty people. they give new yorkers a bad name and they are not even from new york. I blame MTV. I grew up watching this channel. I used to love it until they started catering to the upper class white kids. MTV used to play all music, now, you dont even see music on the channel. isnt called Music Television? it should be called, NMTV, NO Music Television, only rich spoiled white kids.

August 24, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. Riley

Only a small group of people like this show. That's why it is only on MTV. The 'stars' will all be broke in 3 to 5 years. Hope they enjoy their few mins of "fame'.

August 24, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Tina

What is this article talking about? It's great news for Jersey Shore. This kraken of horror lives off controversy and bad press.

August 24, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. HJA

What a joke. Not a functioning brain cell in the bunch. MTV 's producers put out more trash than all other stations combined.

August 24, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. DIANA

Why is this in politics? I didn't read the article because I didn't click on the entertainment section.

August 24, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  7. Jason B.

I look at the included picture and 2 thoughts come to mind:

1) The guys look like they're really enjoying holding that pole.

2) The gals look ready to go dancing on that pole.

August 24, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Donkey Party

Get over it. It's as accurate a depiction of the Jersey Shore as you'll find, just as accurate a depiction of Jersey as "The Sopranos" was, or "The Hills" or "The Streets of San Francisco" was of CA.. Incidentally, where was all the drummed-up outrage over those shows??? Why do so many Americans hate the truth? People are so gullible. I bet you can even get them to believe that all Muslims are part of Al Queda, oh wait, too late, nevermind. Stupid sheeple.

August 24, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  9. Kat

Jersey is what it is. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, you can only try to hide the fact it's a pig's ear. The Jersey Shore cast are keeping it real, I know several people from Jersey from Perth Amboy, South Amboy, Woodbridge, Trenton that act just like the JS cast when they are out partying. If you don't like how the JS cast presents the "Shore" then clean it up, and try to get some class.

August 24, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  10. arthur robins

sorry- never watched it! just heard about it.

August 24, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

This might cause McCain to re vet his running mate for 2012. While the slogan. 'McCain/Snooki 2012 for a good time,' reaches out to the masses, McSurge may not get Christie's support, and he cannot win without New Jersey.

August 24, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  12. ML

I don't even equate these "characters" with New Jersey. I watch the show and it's entertaining. They are absolutely ridiculous and definitely are not role model material. However, anyone who actually watches the show knows that they don't rep NJ. The Jersey Shore just happens to be where they vacation in the summer, just like thousands of other NY'ers every year. This is what happens at places like Seaside Heights. It's not a phenomenon.

August 24, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  13. malabar

Send Pauly D my way!

August 24, 2010 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. GL

I agree as well and I don't live there. I am not a fan of Reality shows any way. They are nothing but a was of TV space. They are rude and only attract too the not so smart people in this country. These type of shows make the American people looks very uneducated and stupid.

August 24, 2010 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. carolae

I'm a Jerseyite but am retired now and live out of state. This show definitely depicts NJ and the girls as sluts. These are New Yorkers trying to make our state look bad. Growing up down the shore, I never saw anything like what they portray. I hope this show gets cancelled and with that, the cast can find another state to degrade.

August 24, 2010 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. Tony

The reason they might hate the show is because reality sometimes hurts. I grew up there during the 80's and all the "guidos" would drive down to seaside in their I-Roc Z-28 & Firbirds Trans Am with their muscle shirts and gelled out hairdo's and basically do the same thing the people on the show are doing. It was a great time. The show is funny but a train wreck and that's why people watch it. No harm intended. Badda Bing Badda Boom.

August 24, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. Notafan

It's more than time for this no-talent, delusional freak show to go. Their 15 minutes of fame were up in the first show. Did someone actually think this was entertainment? This has dragged the aggregate NJ IQ total down by about 75 points.

August 24, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  18. GL

That what I am saying. These shows are nothing but low-lifer trying to make money of the stupid and unedcuated people in this country.

August 24, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. Shania

This show is a train wreck. i watched a few minutes of the show, and well I wasn't missing much. I am guessing same theme every night. Yawn

August 24, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  20. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Many of these "people" are NJ residents? If they are how much of the time do they acutally spend in the state? I don't think their actions and attitudes really reflect well on NJ.

When I go to the shore with my family, we don't do any of the shenanagans that they do. We play on the beach and go on the rides.

August 24, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. aaa

lol my father is also criticizing the show..... but he makes sure to flip channel to MTV on Thursday night saying.... Start the Snooky show...

lmao...

August 24, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  22. citizenUSA

Who would rather BE the drunken idiot and having fun as opposed to watching drunken idiots having fun on TV? All this crap started with "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous".

August 24, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  23. Jaywing

CNN, why is this here? Who cares?

August 24, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. Bob F.

Never watched it; never will. Why? First, it's on MTV. 'Nuff said. Second, I have too much respect for New Yorkers to watch them go slummin' in Jersey!

August 24, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  25. chuck d

I agree, If New Jersey is full of people like these losers I want nuthin to do with them

August 24, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |