August 31st, 2010

White House keeps lid on Obama, Bush talk

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/08/31/art.obama.0831b.gi.jpg caption =" President Obama called former President George W. Bush on Tuesday ahead of his Oval Office address."]Fort Bliss, Texas (CNN) - President Obama telephoned former President George W. Bush from Air Force One in advance of Tuesday night's prime time speech regarding the end of the combat mission in Iraq - but the White House isn't saying what the two men discussed.

Related: Obama to tip his hat to Bush?

Obama called his predecessor while flying to Fort Bliss to meet with military personnel Tuesday morning ahead of his Oval Office address. The two spoke for several minutes according to Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton. There were no details about the subject of their conversation and Burton said no read out of the phone call would be provided.

Deputy National Security Press Secretary Ben Rhodes previewed Tuesday evening's Oval Office address with the traveling press saying Obama will speak about the broader context of the drawdown of 100,000 troops in Iraq, the enduring partnership between the U.S. and Iraq and the Iraqi's responsibility going forward.

According to the White House, troops at Ft. Bliss have served in every stage of the Iraq war from the initial invasion through today's new mission.

Filed under: George W. Bush • President Obama
  1. ruty

Why would Obama call Bush? After all, Bush 5 years ago announced "Mission Accoumplished" In Iraq. Some body please tell Bush how stupid he is. Maybe he will go into hiding and never surface again.

August 31, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Tony 140

Amazing. He is finally talking to someone who knows something about leadership and not just listening to the career politicians/academics that he has advising him. Hopefully he listens and doesn't try to lecture.

August 31, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Donnatella

Then they pretend to hate each other in front of the camera's, politics in today's world is a joke.

August 31, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

Obama needs to put a halt to the "Bush blame game".

August 31, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Tom-Vermillion Ohio

You can bet that they talked about a lot more than just the Iraq war.

August 31, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  6. Hunter of the lib hunter

I hope President Obama gives credit to Bush and the republican congress for the unnecessary war that cost over 4000 lives and 40,000 wounded troops.

August 31, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. T'SAH from Virginia

President Obama will do this right!!!

Bone-HEAD-Boehner is jumping the GUN by speaking AHEAD of the Commander in Chief. How arrogant can he be!!! We DO NOT need leaders like this in office!!!

August 31, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. FormerGOP

Thank you Sir for bringing our kids home!

August 31, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. Orlando Patriot

I am curious how many times he will say "I" in this speech. Do you know he said "I" 132 times during his short "Jobs" speech on Jan 22, 2010? I'll bet a quarter he beats 132 times this time. HE IS SUCH A NARCISSIST!!

You think about all the times he has said "I" but has NEVER said that he loves this country? Coincidence? Interesting...........

August 31, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Eric

How many soldiers will be sporting the crossed-fingers sign of coercion in the ObamaPhotoOp (TM)?

August 31, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I hope President Obama told Bush that "The Justice Department is issuing a warrant for your arrest."

August 31, 2010 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Tim

Bush is a class act, withholding his opinion on how Obama has operated.

Obama on the other hand, regularly bashes Bush. We'll see tonight if he has an ounce of class in his body.

I'm not holding my breath.

August 31, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. Former Republican, now an Independent

Former President Bush and the republican leaders at the time should all run and hide for sending our soldiers into a false war with false information about WMD's. The false pretense that Iraq will end up a liberated democratic society has always been another falsehood, because Iraq does not want to be a liberated democratic society.

August 31, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. jim

Taking credit for something that you didn't have anything to do with is never a good idea. The removal of troops in Iraq was decided long before Obama became president.

August 31, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  15. water bearer

I would like any one of you right-wing posters to explain something to me that I just can't seem to wrap my head around. Why is it that you are all so crazy to give Bush CREDIT for "the surge" and yet you will not accept that he has any RESPONSIBILITY for our economic trouble? Where is the logic in giving him CREDIT for his policies which (arguably) led to the end to the Iraq war, but not giving him any RESPONSIBILITY for his policies which led to the near collapse of our economy?

Anybody?????

August 31, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  16. barry

What a moron. Why would Bush take the guys call. He is so arrogant. He runs around blaming Bush for everything and now he wants to call him. I did not like Bush as a President but he has been a class act since he left office. He has stayed out of the lime light and taken the crap Obama has thrown at him. He has acted Presidential and Obama has acted like a spoiled little rich kid that blames everyone else for his failures. Bush is a better man than I am, I wouldn't take his calls.

August 31, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  17. Interesting call

" Hi George, Barack here," Barack Obama. it's me, the President, President Barack Obama. Of the United States..

Anyway, wanted to give you a heads up George on what I am saying tonight in my speech. What's that, you're going to a Texas Rangers baseball game and will not be watching me? And you are really not interested in what I am saying? Okay, if that is how you feel, enjoy the game.

What's that George? No, I haven't captured Osama Bin Laden yet. Yes I know I told America duing my campaign that was the reason I am still in Afghanistan, but there are other considerations. No, I cannot name those at the moment, but i am sure Emmanuel knows what they are. What's that George, Osama is no longer in Afghanistan? You sure? How do you know. Oh, Fox News – no I don;t watch that; I like Katie Kouric. Oh...do you happen to know where Osama is? I see. Well. I am not sure we can attack Pakistan George. What's that – get out of Afghanistan? How can I do that now? Just leave like the Russians? Okay George I will think about it. Enjoy the game.

August 31, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. tpbco

The fact that Bush43 would even talk to the obama, shows his strength of character (regardless of whether you agree with his politics) AFTER the partisian attacks against him for the last eight years and even more so since he's left office.

The dimocrats could learn a lesson here, but don't count on it.

The only free speech they believe in is theirs.

August 31, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. James

That's ok, let them conspire.

Both will probably end up prosecuted one day for all kinds of illegal activity including War Crimes.

I am just waiting for Repubs to take back congress in November, which is pretty much a sure thing now.

Then one of the repubs is going to introduce an Impeachment Bill and the Repubs will pass it.

Obummer will then be impeached, the list of resones for Impeachment is very long.

Both Parties Complelty CORRUPT

August 31, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. Chessnutz of Liverpool NY

That is because both work for the same masters.
    The whole liberal/conservative or democrat/ republican thing is a LIE!
    Think about it does it matter who is in power? have you ever seen your taxes go down (unless you stopped working or are dead)? have you not seen less privacy in your life?
    Are you better off than your parent's generation was?
    Return the Republic for which it stands, end democracy! The will of the majority should NOT oppress the minority who wish to live their private lives without causing harm to others.

August 31, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  21. Shirley in California

Mr. President – there is not much this man can tell you. He didn't know while president and he still doesn't know. End of conversation.

August 31, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  22. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

Obozo probably had to blast, rip or slam him for something, even though Bush handed him the one success his administration has had or is likely to have.

August 31, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Soap

Yeah, what obama said was let me continue to lie and you just continue to keep silent showing respect for the office of the President even if the current occupant of the White House shows none.

August 31, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  24. KateHikes

Oh, it's really not too hard to figure out the gist of what was said:

Bush: "I'm a stooge of the jews."
    Obama: "No kidding? Me too!"

August 31, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  25. Hunter of the lib hunter

Almost 2700 days after the former president declared, "Mission Accomplished," the combat stage of Bush's private war comes to a merciful conclusion. (And we now have to give credit to John Boehner and the greasy republicans in congress?)

August 31, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |