November 4th, 2010

McConnell doubling down on Obama attack

Washington (CNN) - Republicans wrested control of the House from President Barack Obama this week, and their next goal is to take the White House away from him, their leader in the Senate said Thursday.

If the Republicans want to repeal health care reform, end bailouts, cut spending and reduce the size of government, "the only way to do all these things it is to put someone in the White House who won't veto any of these things," Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said in a speech at the conservative Heritage Foundation.

"Health care legislation is the worst bill that was passed in my time in the Senate. Financial services is somewhere close to it," said McConnell, who was elected in 1984.

"We can hope the president will start listening to the electorate after Tuesday's election. But we can't plan on it," he said.

"I don't want the president to fail. I want him to change," McConnell said.

The Republicans failed to capture control the Senate this week, leaving McConnell the minority leader, but they're riding high on a gain of at least six seats there and ten times that many in the House.

"For the past two years, Democrat lawmakers chose to ignore the American people, so on Tuesday the American people chose new lawmakers," McConnell said.

"The White House has a choice: they can change course, or they can double down on a vision of government that the American people have roundly rejected," he said.

But he insisted that the elections were not about the Republicans.

"They were about the Democrats. They got a report card. They got an F," he said.

"Americans voted for change in the last two elections because of two long and difficult wars and because they hoped a changing of the guard would stabilize the economy and get America moving again," he said.

But, he said, "Democrat leaders used the crisis of the moment to advance an agenda Americans didn't ask for and couldn't afford."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitch McConnell • President Obama
  1. mary225

My husband met Mitch McConnell at a meeting in Washington. My husband said McConnell is the biggest slimeball he has ever met.

November 4, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Of course I meant 'good' beginning,not 'food'. Tsk on me!

November 4, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. Duck Fallas

I support reducing the size and scope of government by eliminating Kentucky's representation in the Senate.

November 4, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. mark

that means no republicans have plans to fix this country. people, be ready for the worst.

November 4, 2010 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  5. DogEatDog

Hello, Mr McConnell, isn't your job running the government and not trying to oust the president?

November 4, 2010 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

And Mitch, just to show you how much I care for my country: I wish you guys the BEST. I can actually support and respect our President, and simultaneously hope that the GObP actually does the RIGHT thing for the country.
    Try not to make me eat those words.

November 4, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  7. S_Marzeli

It's ironic that he would bring up 'listening to the electorate', considering that most Americans don't want the healthcare bill to be repealed.

November 4, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. Sarah

This man is my senator and he makes me embarrassed every single time he opens his mouth.

November 4, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

I myself would rather McConnell and Company tackle job growth initiatives, but if McConnell feels repealing Health Care is more important in the grand scheme of improving our economy, then by all means, I say go for it, GOPers, and *git 'er done*.

November 4, 2010 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. 228rory

C'mon Republicans!!! Its been one day since you won the election and the economy isnt fixed yet!! The unemployment rate is still above 9%. What are you doing? What a disgrace. Also, I want to see John Boehner's birth certificate. There is no way that man with his fake tan was born in the U.S. He is also a Muslim, Hitleresque, Racist, Satan worshiper because he hasnt hired one African American and he didnt go to chruch this morning. Is this the change you promised us

November 4, 2010 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. Monster Zero

I believe Obama sees himself as the intellectual elitist Harvard Constitutional law expert with an arrogance the likes I've never witnessed before in a President. His ego and the monumental liberal mentoring he was subjected to in a Marxist based strive to change the very nature of the principles our Nation was founded upon will not allow him to accept that America is rejecting his "fatherly" advice, he will know best or go down swinging. Here it is in a nutshell 2010/2011 gridlock with intensive ethics and corruption investigation by the GOP and then in 2012 will we have a new President with a productive common sense approach and application agenda based solely upon necessity for the US to ever see daylight again.

November 4, 2010 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. kate

Dear Mitch: You and the rest of the republicans are the reason I changed to Democrat. If you republicans would use your energy where it counted, like working to solve problems, this country might be better off. You are all acting like school yard bullies.

November 4, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  13. Baby Boomer

I was and am a supporter of President Obama but I now hope he doesn't run for a second term. I am so sick of hearing and seeing old angry white men on television spewing hatred every single day, I simply can't stand it anymore. It will never stop as long as President Obama is in what they believe to be exclusively "Their White House". How I could have ever thought that the United States had actually evolved is a mistery to me now. We have made NO progress, none at all. Old angry white men, have at it...

November 4, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  14. Debra

You will not win in 2012, if you goal is to take down the President, then it is on. We will look under every rock for every vote, You are a jerk.

November 4, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Okey anozie

So much for civility!!!

November 4, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. Shanna Brandenburgh

Really? I understand the frustration of the people. I do not understand the childlike attitudes of our elected officials. The blame has already started. So, is this what we are going to hear for the next two years? The American people want action, not demolition. We want bipartisanship, not division. Please Senator McConnell, stop talking about how the Democrats and President Obama are to blame for the inaction of your party. Where are the constructive answers to the issues at hand? Your top political priority is to keep President Obama from being re-elected? I would think the top priority would be to listen and to work for the American people. How sad!

November 4, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. vet in tx

From the inauguration, to the present McConnell has been focusing soley on removing the president and getting his party in power. How does this help the constituents in your state, how does this help the tea partiers who backed you? I thought this was the republicans second chance to show America they can govern, and steer the country "on the right track" as they frequently have been yelling? I hope the public's patience level is just as quick and short as it has been for these past 2 years. By the 2012 election, if there aren't any jobs, I hope the rallies and express tours are just as prevalent and passionate as they have been since April 15, 2009! (somehow, this vet doesn't see this happening, I wonder why that is?)

November 4, 2010 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. ps

Hey Yertle the Turtle, if you think the American public is going ot let you obstruct for the next two years to defeat Obama, you're not listening.

November 4, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. Amy

I am sick of both parties focussing solely on getting their own party back in power. They have a job to do, and if they fail to work together over the next 2 years, I say we throw them all out and start from scratch. Their job is to serve the American people, not their party or their own agendas.

November 4, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  20. Uh Oh!!

I really hope that they succeed just so when they "take the power back" we shoot them down and obstruct everything and just do the exact same thing to them like little school children. The point is lets let the childs play end and who cares who's in power just work with them to make this better. Grow Up Washington!!!!!! This should not be about party battles this should be about representing american ideas, moving our country foward, and about keeping the american dream alive which for most americans right now is more a nightmare

November 4, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  21. cb

Two years ago the voting public soundly rejected the Republican status quo. We have now apparently rejected the Democratic status quo and the Republican leaders are trumpeting a return to the former ways. If they succeed, they will receive a similar boot up the backside. When will our elected leaders get the message that we want a new way of governing? Cooperate with each other and focus on improving our country instead of focusing on defeating the other party!

November 4, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  22. Anonymous

This man is a hack. He was eleceted to legislate for the good of the country. Instead he has done all he can to stifle any bill or progress put forth by Democrats.
    I say immediate recall andthen sue him for all salary paid.

November 4, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  23. Jon, Pittsburgh, PA

When this new Republican House initiates new legislation we will see whether the American people accept or reject it. It will be the first time in years that the American people see what the Republican agenda really is. Until now, it's all been rhetoric. Time to put up or shut up.

November 4, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  24. me

Really McConnell? Why do you guys keep forgetting that you're the ones who started the bailout? Your guy Mr. Bush is the one who approved the bailouts to begin with and you and the rest of congress are the ones who keeps giving out freebies.

November 4, 2010 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  25. jules sand-perkins

"A vision of government...roundly rejected."
    Well said!
    Let us do anything we can to get rid of Obama, short of anything illegal.
    Obama MUST NOT serve a second term as president.

November 4, 2010 11:33 am at 11:33 am |