November 9th, 2010

Schwarzenegger admission: Who cares if you smoke pot?

(CNN) - With only a couple months left in office, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger apparently feels free to speak his mind - at least when it comes to marijuana.

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Monday, the outgoing governor commented on the failure of Proposition 19 - the ballot initiative in California that would have legalized recreational use of marijuana.

"No one cares if you smoke a joint or not," Schwarzenegger said to cheers from the crowd.

The comments came more than a month after the governor signed into law a provision that made the possession of small amounts of marijuana subject only to a $100 fine.

But Schwarzenegger did not back Proposition 19, telling Leno, "This Proposition 19 went a little bit too far, I think, and it was written badly."

The measure failed last Tuesday, garnering 46 percent of support. It sought to legalize the growth, sale, and use of marijuana for recreational purposes while allowing governments to tax it.

Filed under: Arnold Schwarzenegger
  1. The reality is...

Not true. I care if my children and/or grandchildren smoke pot. I hope they can enjoy life without fogging up their brains in order to cope with reality. We have enough people/legislators making decisions with half a brain.

November 9, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  2. Dave

Say what you will about Arnold, he always speaks the truth. Legalizing pot will go a long way towards eliminating the elicit drug trade in this country and Mexico. And yes, no one cares if you smoke a joint or two.

November 9, 2010 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  3. Rick McDaniel

Mostly the Mexican drug cartels.......who you are supporting, by buying the drug.

November 9, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. Bob from Pittsburgh

No one cares if you smoke a joint or not," Schwarzenegger said to cheers from the crowd...!!

I like to remind the Governor that literaly thousands are dying due to the trafif od illegal drugs, and the biggest consumer are Americans, 90% of all wo0rld production of illegal drugas are consume here in the good old USA.. and we are not counting the pharma drugs that are illegaly consume here. If you think is not affecting your country.. think again, lost productivity, behind in science, and math, # 23 in coruuption in the world, behind Chile Canada, England, France. Huge external debt..
    all syntoms of the illicit use of drugs..

November 9, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. nothead

Everyone seems to think that pot is just this harmless little, innocuous plant, that carries no addictive tendencies, and could never cause any harm. While it may be a relatively safe drug, people fail to realize that addiction is a problem with the USER, not the chemical, and that this innocent little plant ruins many lives daily. Not to mention how many people die trying to illicitly grow and distribute it. Yeah, no blood on those buds.

November 9, 2010 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Clwyd

With only a 22% approval rating Arnold sure has helped the cause to show that republicans can't get the job done and he doesn't even have support from his own party. They are too busy trying to find the next billionaire witch to run for office who will cut social Security and increase defense budgets so they can make more wars!

November 9, 2010 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  7. Peace

Hello Arnold, the rest of us who do not smoke do care. We care because it changes the behaviour of a person and the state of the brain to function well in a normal manner!

November 9, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. Annie, Atlanta

I know it's more complicated than I'm going to make it sound here. But if we legalize pot, won't we stop some of the violence due to the drug wars? Won't we be able to tax it? Won't we be able to save billions now being used to prosecute people with small amounts? Won't we be able to clear out our jails (of course the privatized ones won't be happy with that scenario but why are we privatizing American justice anyway)? With everything else we have going on, this should be a no-brainer. Am I wrong?

November 9, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I guess people were too stoned to go out and vote. I say try for it again. It will eventually be legalized.

November 9, 2010 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  10. Forrest

If only that were true, Arnold. Then I wouldn't have to worry constantly about getting arrested or losing my job here in Florida. Unfortunately, I do have to worry.

November 9, 2010 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. Marge

You know I don't smoke, never did but if people have smoked pot in their life and are not some addict, I see no problem. At least I think medical pot should be available to all. I have breast cancer. In remission and I hope gone, but the pain pills after the operation made me uncomfortable, I got sick and I itched like crazy. If the pot would have helped I would have tried to smoke it and I think those that really do need it, should have it available.

I don't know about the general public. I have never been around people who have smoked pot. Knowingly that is.

November 9, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  12. Ferret out the B.S.

The Govornator has some sensability. More people should listen.

November 9, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  13. ICIC

...thats ok...i mean if pot has come to the point of being voted in as legal...then it should be ok for whomever to use it..politicians, school staff, college professors, ministers, cops etc...it should be no surprise...shouldn't be that much of a surprise anyway....

November 9, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. Chessnutz of Liverpool NY

Support organized crime.
    Keep Pot Illegal!
    No one wants to see an out of work Godfather.

November 9, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. Claudia, Houston, Tx

People are going to buy and smoke this herb whether it's legal or not, make it legal and tax it just like cigarettes. Personally I don't care who smokes it as long as it's not smoke around me.

November 9, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hey Arnie, put down the doobie!
    The law DID NOT PASS!!!!
    Bwahahahaha!

November 9, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  17. Erik

Not a smoker cigarettes or pot, but I agree with Arnold here. I could care less if someone smokes a joint – just don't harm others by driving, etc.

November 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  18. Jared from Delaware

Arnold's got it right!

Shame Prop 19 didn't pass. CA voters were foolish not to pass it as it would've solved all their budget woes. THe amount of tourism dollars from the rest of the country would've easily filled the gap...not to even include the tax dollars from CA residents.

Shame opponents lied about the economic benefits. Those who opposed it are no different than the DEA and we all know what liars they are when it comes to drugs.....what with their myths about LSD dealers selling to kids at playgrounds (yeah right) and their nonsense that pot is a "gateway drug" (it's not..alcohol and tobacco are gateway drugs as everyone starts on one of the two of those)....

November 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  19. Josh

"Who cares if you smoke pot?"

Amen.

November 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  20. Gerald Martin

I still haven't figured out how they knew that Prop 19 had failed, when there was only 30% of the vote in. I watched the news when the totals were coming in, and they had already declared it failed before the totals were in. Makes you wonder who really controls the voting machines.

November 9, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. lefty avenger

Legalize it and stop putting responsible working adults in jail for smoking a little joint. This Prohibition has caused americans too much grief and is against freedom and liberty. Time for more of that change.

November 9, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  22. Nick , California

This is a great step forward for the state of California. I know too many productive people who make good money and take care of their families, but like to smoke a little pot. How can we as a society demonize these people who are great parents and productive members of society involved in their communities. Some people like to drink and some people like to smoke tobacco, and some like to responsibly smoke pot!

November 9, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. Jerry

Well, it's obvious that muscle brains has not had enough destroying California. I am glad the true representatives of California were intelligent enough to defeat proposition 19. Kudos to you folks!

Now, I just hope that other state's voters will be as intelligent as the California voters were.

The excuses that were being used by the "Pot Heads", especially the so called entertainers was not only bogus, but "Pot Headlessly" as well!

November 9, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  24. mike

Who cares if Schwarzenegger smoked pot lets face it most americans do smoke pot that is the reason why it is such a large cash crop and there are plenty of people that are making to much money off of it and that they don't want to see it legal so if you can't beat them then join them

November 9, 2010 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  25. Gabe Polson

He has a valid point. No one has ever committed murder or gone on a killing spree after doing pot. The Native Americans have been doing it forever and who are the Christian right to come in and say it's wrong. Who cares? I don't smoke pot but I don't care if people do. There are much bigger issues in the world.

November 9, 2010 10:54 am at 10:54 am |