What's next for Clinton?
December 3rd, 2010

What's next for Clinton?

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton is adamant that she's not running for president in 2012, but she's now saying that being secretary of state will be her last job in government.

"I think I'll serve as secretary of state as my last public position," Clinton said Friday at an event in Bahrain. "Then (I'll) probably go back to advocacy work, particularly on behalf of women and children, and particularly around the world."

At the event with local college students, she again said she will not launch a challenge to President Barack Obama, but the comments mark the first time she's elaborated on her plans for the future.

The former first lady and New York senator, faced off with Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 before becoming his chief diplomat.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

She does a great job as SecStat, but I don't think she'll turn down a nomination for SCOTUS.

December 3, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  2. Anonymous

She is still of full stamina and vibrancy but is also of an age where retirement is an option.
    Thank you for time well served is what we should give her and let her move on with dignity and without speculation.

December 3, 2010 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

LEAVE IT ALONE CNN!! How many times Hillary needs to say that she's NOT RUNNING???? Jeez!!

Feingold not interested in challenging Obama in 2012

CNN just can't let go of trying to stir up trouble... I guess it's gotten BORING on the RIGHT because every Tom, Dick, Harry and PalinETTE is running over there and NONE of them are going to WIN. So I guess it's time to trample through the leaves to see what can be dug up on the LEFT!! PLEASE!!!

Let's continue to Move America Forward with our current leader, President Obama and at least wait until June, 2011 to worry about who's running for President!!!

December 3, 2010 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. rachel

No matter what some people say Hillary you've done a great job, Good luck with your future that I hope includes grands for you.

December 3, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. Rick James B----

First Female President..no it won't be Palin because she won't get past the GOP primaries; those good ole boys well tear her a new one lol!

December 3, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. 8 Years of "Trickle Down" economics has only left a dribbling wet spot on working Americans's shoes!

Too bad, I was hoping she would try again in 2016.

December 3, 2010 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. PalmReader

"I am not part of the rich that will be taxed but it makes my blood boil that this class warfare is taking place."
    --------
    I wonder? If you keep beating the drum of *Class Warfare* loud enough and often enough, do you think the 305 million Americans living in relative serfdom will actually join your bandwagon of hypocrisy? I'm betting not. Turn off Chris Matthews ... he's a relic of the past, whose opinions are too outdated and too off the wall to be taken seriously.

December 3, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  8. Stella

Realistically, she will be too old to be a two-term President in 2016.

Yes, she could serve one term but with an eye toward maintaining a Democratic pipeline of leadership, maybe she should go back to private advocacy.

December 3, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. Four and The Door

Good for Hillary. She has seen the light. Liberal philosophies work so much better in private, not-for-profit sector. Really.

December 3, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. Rick McDaniel

I think she is ready to retire. She has 2 more yrs. to ponder that decision, but in all probability, she will be gone in 2012.

December 3, 2010 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. George

So I guess what she is saying is, since she will only be an advocate for women and children, essentially to hell with the men.

December 3, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. stufit

Very hopefully, retirement in a silent convent in January, 2013.

December 3, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. Hugo

Let us all hope and pray that after the Clinton Bush era of destruction of America Hillary does retire to Afghanistan or some other third world Nation that she and her liberal progressive cohorts have tried to bring to the USA! Hmmmm China Trade agreement and NAFTA evolution from an Ag bill to a bill that would encompass everything at the cost of American jobs, why who is to blame?

December 3, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. Jayden,FL

What's next for the Honourable Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, is to become President of the United States. She may deny it now but she really wants to be President.. and don't they all deny it.. didn't the Honourable Secretary of State deny it back in 2005 and 2006 about a Possible run for the Presidency in 2008?? yes she did..

December 3, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  15. David

Well, if the public knew the truth of the Bush/Clinton syndicate then it would be to prison with them all.

December 3, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. Fair is Fair

I hear ya, Hillary. Having to work for Obama would leave a sour taste in my mouth as well.

December 3, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I would hope that she could still serve in public office be it appointed (like the current one) or elected (when she was a senator). She seems to be doing a good job as Sec. of State.

December 3, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. chalph

Hillary Clinton: standing up for the rights of all women, except for those women who care about women's rights.

December 3, 2010 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  19. JC in SC

She is awesome. I feel that she is one competent person in the Obama administration and I'm confident is doing the best job as Secretary of State than perhaps anyone ever has. It will be awhile before we have another woman who could, hands down, run this country as well as anyone. She has, is and will continue to be a champion in her advocacy work for women and children. Too bad we missed the chance to elect the best person for president in '08!!

December 3, 2010 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. DIANA

If Obama caves under Republican pressure to extend the tax cuts for the wealthy, America will have a shot to apologize to Hilary, (I voted for her in the primaries) for not nominating her and electing her President. I support our President, but I wonder what if she won instead.

December 3, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. Dalbertg

Not having Hillary fighting for this country will be a huge loss. I hope these are just words to quelch the desire for the media to have another headline.

December 3, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  22. Nancy Pelosi, the wicked witch of the west, the DemocRAT gift that just keeps on giving

Now that she has the stain and smell from the Obozo administration on her, she is goingto have a hard time being elected. She NEVER should have taken the position. She knew Obozo was going to be a disaster and should have waited a few years. Oh well... Maybe she just wants to stay at home and keep an eye on Slick Willy?

December 3, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  23. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Interesting, Sec. of State, former Senator, attorney and First Lady Hillary Clinton decides she's not going to run for President but is highly qualified. Former 3rd place beauty contestant, former 1/2 term governor and reality show Sarah Palin thinks she's qualified. Hillary Clinton has all the qualifications of all the current 11 women presidents in the World and yet the Republicans can only come up with Palin. That doesn't speak too well for the rest of American women in the Republican party who bare similar qualifications of Hillary Clinton and none to Palin.

December 3, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. Marla

This is a competent, dignified woman that I can respect.
    I greatly respect how she has handled herself over the years.
    I'm sure that both she and her husband will continue to do good things for the world, even in retirement.

December 3, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  25. LondonLeslie

I actually like Hillary and wish she could remain as a public servant but alas she has made her own bed with the State department debacle. Unfortunately she would be seen as weak after this and world leaders would be reminded that she allowed her husband to mess her about and walk all over her with his indiscretions. Barack is trying to capture the headlines away from her mistakes, which in a sense are actually his, and with the recent tepid White House response towards the airing of her dirty knickers I would say this is her swan song and her christmas goose is cooked. She will be able to do more good once she gets this behind her anyway. Give my regards to Bill.

December 3, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |