Orioles distance themselves from player's Obama comments
December 9th, 2010

Orioles distance themselves from player's Obama comments

(CNN) - It could be an interesting Opening Day come April when Orioles Designated Hitter Luke Scott steps to the plate.

The baseball organization is now putting distance between themselves and comments from Scott, who in a recent interview doubted President Obama was born in the United States.

"Luke Scott's comments do not reflect the opinion of the Baltimore Orioles organization," read a statement from the team released Wednesday. "The fact is that Barack Obama is our President, duly elected by the people of the United States. End of story."

Scott's comments came in an interview with Yahoo Sports earlier in the week. An avid hunter who was showing off a picture of a recent kill at baseball's winter meetings in Orlando, Florida, Scott defended his Second Amendment rights before launching into a criticism of Obama.

"Obama does not represent America. Nor does he represent anything what our forefathers stood for," Scott said. "He was not born here. That's my belief. I was born here. If someone accuses me of not being born here, I can go – within 10 minutes – to my filing cabinet and I can pick up my real birth certificate and I can go, 'See? Look! Here it is.' He doesn't answer anything. And why? Because he's hiding something."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Andrew

Or.... Because he has already answered that Question 100 times when he was running?

Maybe when you are actually worth something you can talk.

I had to look it up to even figure out who Luke Scott was, and i am a baseball fan 🙂

December 9, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  2. SAY WHAT!!!

Who is this moron? Looks like he pumped that steroid straight to his head.

December 9, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. Timbo

Clearly ignorance knows no bounds

December 9, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. Linda

"He does not represent anything WHAT our forefathers stood for." Obviously this guy was born here, but did he go to school here?

December 9, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  5. Jeff

How is Scott's birth certificate any different from the President's? How do I know that Scott's birth certificate is not a forgery. I have concluded that Scott is not a citizen of the United States and is an undocumented alien. I base this conclusion using the same arguments used by the "birthers."

December 9, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  6. Mike in NC

I love this guy! So true...the document produced by the State of Hawaii is not the original birth certifcate. It was a "record of birth" issued in latter decades. So, what does Barry have to hide? The media did a great job in hiding/ignoring his background during and after the presidential run. Hope they are all happy now! I know I'm relishing watching America wake up and see the Emperor is wearing no clothes. LOL!

December 9, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. SeNdEmPaCkInG

haha!! That a boy! Now its time for all the idiots that still support him to come up with some kind of b.s. excuse.
    Go ahead.. humor me..

December 9, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. Expat American

Scott sounds like just another dime-a-dozen ignorant meathead who make up so much of the American populace. He should stick to baseball and huntin' and avoid any actual intellectual thought; it doesn't sound like it's 'his thing'.

Put some more chewin' tabakkie in your mouth, Scott, before you say something else that's stupid.

December 9, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  9. Duck Fallas

The Orioles should punish him by signing him to a long term contract.

December 9, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. Lolo

Here goes another nut. Do these people really believe this nonsense. Anyone who runs for higher office is put through the ringer, except for Ms. Palin. He is just pissed off that we have a black president.

December 9, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  11. Yoli

It is obvious that he was hit in the head one too many times idiot

December 9, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  12. John

So is he a big supporter of the right to bear arms because he is looking to overthrow the government?

December 9, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. anotherGDlefty

Oh boy, the DH talking smack? Can we also get a "news" flash from the bat boy?

Why does he feel the need to defend his 2nd amendment rights that aren't under attack? Is his state militia disbanding?

December 9, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  14. Patricia - Houston

Scott doesn't know where the President was born, nor does he know where he (Scott) was born. I am sure he cannot recall the day he was born, nor where. What a very stupid thing to say; however, I have learnt over the last 2 years that if you repeat something to yourself and listen to certain networks, you will be programmed to believe what you want to believe!

December 9, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  15. gt

if it was the yankees then its news....

December 9, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. Randy Delaney

Obviously this player is an absolute idiot, I will root against him every time at bat, I curse his wife, children, and his entire extended famly. You watch this season he willbe injured most of the season, and willhave one of the worst years since he has been on earth, on the field as well as off the field. How disrespectful, the Orioles should cut him now!

December 9, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  17. Grundoon

Luke Scott is a complete moron!

December 9, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  18. kakaraka

Really, how many times Obama has to provide his birth certificate to the public? Do you want him to invite you personally to the White House and show it to you? Worthless and dumbass. Get a life.

December 9, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  19. a little sad

Who cares what this idiot thinks?

December 9, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  20. roro

What is with these idiots? I'm sure the president could produce his birth certificate just as easily as this jerk, but he shouldn't have to. McCain actually was born in another country, Panama, and no one ever questioned that. Don't try to tell me this isn't racially motivated. And, anyway, we've all seen the birth certificate and the newspaper announcement on various television shows. Small wonder the management is distancing themselves from this dummy.

December 9, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  21. John Boehner is the dumbest person to become speaker

Luke Scott is proof positive that you can be dumb as a stick and still be an over paid baseball player. Pampered athletes must not have time to read newspapers. I wish someone could point out to Mr. Scott that there is more to life than a large gut pile.

December 9, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  22. vic

Well Luke you just joined the world of the flat earth society.

December 9, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  23. Brody

I think he will learn to keep his mouth shut from now on. Plenty of people think Obama is a disaster as a President but he is a citizen. These birthers make the right look as crazy as the left with all their war criminal stuff on Bush/Cheney – you just stop listening when people spout this kind of idiocy.

December 9, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  24. Jim

Wow, just another un-educated redneck athlete who buys the lies that Faux News and Rush, et al push. What are Scott's career numbers like anyway?

December 9, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  25. kyle

This guy is an idiot, half of his team probably wasn't born in America, and they are probably better than him in playing and character.

December 9, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |