Palin warns of new 'death panels'
December 10th, 2010

Palin warns of new 'death panels'

(CNN) - "Death Panels" could be back, Sarah Palin says. But this time they are not the creation of the Obama administration. No, these are the handiwork of the bipartisan debt commission.

In an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, the former Alaska governor takes aim at several of the controversial commission's recommendations, saying the cuts it proposes "implicitly endorses the use of 'death panel'-like rationing."

Palin highlights the commission's proposal for an Independent Payments Advisory Board, a committee, she says, that will make "bureaucrats, not medical professionals, the ultimate arbiters of what types of treatment will (and especially will not) be reimbursed under Medicare."

The former Alaska governor also takes aim at the commission for advocating cuts in defense, an area that Palin says should be off-limits.

"Among the few areas of spending it does single out for cuts is defense - the one area where we shouldn't be cutting corners at a time of war," she writes. "Worst of all, the commission's proposals institutionalize the current administration's new big spending commitments."

Ultimately Palin, who appears to be beefing up both her economic and foreign policy credentials of late, hitches her wagon to GOP Congressman and budget guru Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.

"In my view, a better plan is the Roadmap for America's Future produced by Rep. Paul Ryan. The Roadmap offers a reliable path to long-term solvency for our entitlement programs, and it does so by encouraging personal responsibility and independence."

Ryan, the Republicans go-to voice in the House on all things budget, would make for a key ally for Palin should she seek to further increase her own credibility on what is likely to be the No. 1 issue for Americans in the two years leading up to the 2012 presidential election.

"We must turn around before it's too late, and [Ryan's] roadmap offers a clear plan for doing so," Palin hales. "But it does more than just fend off disaster. CBO calculations show that the Roadmap would also help create a "much more favorable macroeconomic outlook" for the next half-century. The CBO estimates that under the Roadmap, by 2058 per-person GDP would be around 70 percent higher than the current trend."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. sara

Please CNN, stop with Palin already. You are making us hate her. Please let me enjoy my Holiday by not seeing her name on your site for just 2 weeks. Please

December 10, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. Bill in Albuquerque

Why is the Wall Street Journal publishing anything this women says.
    I'm sorry but many of my students know more then her

December 10, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. Me

Sarah Palin might use some pretty big words in her speeches and writings but she really doesn't know what she's talking about. I hardly think a 5 college student that graduated with a degree in communications would know anything about diplomacy, foreign policy or economics.

December 10, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. DJ in TX

And what would she know? She QUIT on her state. What's to stop her from quitting again? Even Mitt Romney, who I also disagree with, but feel he's much more qualified that Palin, questioned ANY reason a governor would quit on their state. She's riding Paul Ryan's coattails. If he's the go to budget guy, then HE should be running, not her.

December 10, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. Sam

Death panels? Cmon, Palin, get it together. Reality check time. You're completely out of your tree.

December 10, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  6. jc

Think of a new one. This was sooo last year..

December 10, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. Beverly - NYC

Can names be submitted to this "death panel" , I can think of one . Why CNN continues to give free space to this blight on the nation's soul is beyond me. How about a New Year's resolution CNN, no stories abount anyone named Palin in 2011.

December 10, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  8. Lisa P

Funny how quiet she is about the actual "death panel" operating right now in Arizona. But I guess if it's Republicans and they'r only killing a few working age adults who desperately need transplants it's o.k., eh Sarah? Because we all know that "death panels" are really a way to cudgel Democrats with Granny and poor little Trig...

Anyone who thinks Sarah Palin gives a damn about health care or the American people should have their head examined. Sarah's all about partisan bickering and Sarah Sarah Sarah.

December 10, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  9. todd

And yet she may be our next president.

December 10, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  10. Unenrolled in Massachusetts

I wonder how many econonics courses she took in the 5 colleges she attended before she got her degree in communications. Maybe she is self educated by reading ecnomics articles in newspapers and magazines.

December 10, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  11. Michael

Spreading fear with mis-information. We've seen this before..... convinced a nation to go to war with no evidence.... convinced a people to commit genocide.... convinced people that an entire religion has a secret agenda.... it's all the same.

December 10, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. Jack

Classic Palin. What a fool, why is she even around anymore?

December 10, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  13. Jay Kay

I have my own death panel and it says Sarah Palin needs to go.

December 10, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. WasabiPotPie

You Lie!!! And I throw my shoe at you!!!

December 10, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. Me love you long time John McCain

As Dandy Don used to say,"turn out the lights,the partys over"Her book sales are in a free fall just like she is,finally.

December 10, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  16. S. Studenberg

This `thing` should go live with the bears in Alaska. The fact that she reproduced and votes is a double whammy the U. S. could have done without. Total moron.

December 10, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  17. ejw

Go back to Alaska.

December 10, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  18. Debra

Tell this woman to go straight to

December 10, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. No Surprise

I'm getting rich because the media and my supporters are stupid. Man, as Governor I was making pennies compared to what I'm making now. Anybody that thinks that if I run (again as just to continue my 15 minutes) for President that I'll stand up there in front of millions of watchers and answer questions like I know what a genuine qualified person would answer is insanely stupid.

I'm getting rich. Thank you to all the press and stupid people out there.

December 10, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. Alex

So what's the un-spun recommendation? Shouldn't that have been included in this article? There seems to be very little information here about the article's supposed topic and too much about Sarah Palin.

December 10, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  21. mms55

shut up sarah!

December 10, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  22. I Love George

I love Sarah Palin!

December 10, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  23. ABM

Thiis is total rubbish. She should be held accountable for her LIES. She has NO CLUE what se is talking about nor has any facts or evidence to prove her fiction.

December 10, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  24. Greg

Government is too big. Government is intruding too much into private lives. Taxes are too high. But we don't want to ration health care in order to control costs. Without making a value judgment, the message seems inconsistent. I would like to understand the overall view behind these competing conclusions.

December 10, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  25. Don

How much longer are they going to milk the very death panels they made up?
    Oh, yeah, until seniors realize they've been had and start screaming for their heads.

December 10, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |