Palin hits new low in poll
January 18th, 2011

Palin hits new low in poll

Washington (CNN) - After a difficult and controversial two-week stretch for Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor's favorable rating has dipped to its lowest level since she joined the 2008 Republican presidential ticket and became a household name.

According to the new USA TODAY/Gallup survey, Palin's favorability rating has dipped to 38 percent while her unfavorable now stands at 53 percent. Gallup reports the 38 percent is a new low when it comes to the percentage of Americans who give the former Alaska governor a thumbs up. The 53 percent who dislike Palin is also a new high in Gallup polling. A similar poll in July found 44 percent of Americans viewed her favorably while 47 percent did not.

The poll surveyed 1,032 adults by telephone from Friday through Sunday and carries a sampling error of 4 percentage points.

The latest survey findings are no doubt unwelcome news for Palin as she considers whether to mount a presidential run. But in an appearance on Fox News Monday, Palin said the latest heat directed her way in the wake of the Arizona shootings has not deterred her desire to be a part of the public dialogue.

Filed under: Polls • Sarah Palin
  1. Margie

How could any one consider this person for president. She is the most immature individual out there. We would have missiles flying all over the place because she feels as if people don't agree with her. Her character has yet to grow up. My 16 year old grandson has more poise, honesty and can handle difficult situations better than a true "baby" such as she.

January 18, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. ScottC543

She should do herself and us a big favor and do exactly that: SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP.

January 18, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Mark

The media is trying they should be credited for their hard work.

January 18, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. Auggiedoggie

In that case, Sarah, I really DO hope you don't sit down and shut up! You are the best hope for the GOP thus far, and so will be the guaranteed loser in a match-up with President Obama! It will take the current White House administration another four years to finish cleaning up the unbelievable mess left by eight years of George W. Bush, who upon closer inspection was not terribly unlike Mrs. Palin in her present form. PLEASE RUN FOR PRESIDENT SARAH!! YOUR CIRCUS CLOWN ACT NEEDS TO CONTINUE!!

January 18, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. sheppard

Mores the pity.... this professional victim doesn't have a clue. She will never come to the understanding that is NOT all about her. That she chooses to 'defend' herself only when she is in a setting where no one can challenge the nonsense that continues to spew out of her mouth further proves she has neither the desire nor the intelligence to have a discussion of opposing views. She has never shown the ability think on her feet. She is an embarrassment to intelligent women everywhere.

January 18, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  6. wiredweirdoinSF

Hurray for CNN and all of the other democrat liberally biased media. They have finally done it. Just like they promoted this corrupt, inept, incompetent, union toady we have as the president. It is like they say, if you tell the lie often enough, it will become true and we know that the democrat liberal party and their drugged out supporters are great at telling lies, so much practice has made them the perfect liars.

January 18, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. Lolo

This woman will not listen to anyone's advice. She is a racist thug and her followers are too. They can deny it all they want to, but the real Americans see right through them. The things that are going on around this crazy woman has never been seen or heard of before. It is a sad day when poor and dumb people are given this much coverage for their idiotic thinking. She and her followers do not understand anything they are saying or what is going on in America. If they like being stupid that is okay with me, but please do not put the rest of us in the barrel with you. She is so excited about all of the money she is making, that she will not let anything or anyone get in her way. She is a crackpot. The good old boys have used her and her base to get what they wanted and now they want to get rid of them. This is what I mean about how foolish and idiotic this group is. They don't even realize it. Talk about not thinking for one self. The Republican party will have to pay Ms. Palin off to keep her from running in 2010.

January 18, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. spike in conshohocken pa

Sit down and shut up, you incredible nincompoop.

January 18, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. PalmReader

"I am not ready to make an announcement about what my political future is going to be. But I will tell you ... I am not going to sit down. I am not going to shut up," she said."

During their teenage years, my three daughters would use this exact language whenever they felt they were being thwarted ... eventually they grew up.

Sarah Palin, not so much.

January 18, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. zaitrancer

I don't support Palin but in trying to be fair to her, I think the longer she is in the public sphere the less support she will have from Americans in general. Her popularity is more centred around novel celebrity status which is usually rather fleeting as opposed to the trust, respect and confidence that grows over time from principled, grounded leadership qualities. Who the real Palin is I may never know, and it's also true that the real Palin may be far removed from the media image of her. However, the media image of Palin doesn't inspire much confidence; and perception is reality – at least for this poster.

January 18, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. dave

Sit down and shut up.

January 18, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. GOP hate america

the fact that 38 percent still see something in this violent preacher is bad enough.

January 18, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. Patchw3rk

I honestly can't believe as many as 38% of Americans have a favorable view of her!

January 18, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Rsprings

The left wing media unjustified attack worked. But her approval rating is still greater than Peolisi's

January 18, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. Norm

It's pretty simple.
    Stop reporting on her everytime she opens her mouth and she'll fade away.
    I know that would be the responsible thing to do, but maybe if you start first CNN?

January 18, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  16. Yes or No

Please, Shut up!!!

January 18, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  17. Mr.Libertarian

How unfortunate for the rest of us.

January 18, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  18. kate

She says nothing. She doesn't have a plan for America. She only talks about what Obama does wrong. She will never make good presidential material.

January 18, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  19. Colette Cole

Ms. Palin,
    I would not ask you to shut-up, I would suggest you think before you open your mouth. I know that the idea of actually thinking before you speak is a little difficult for you but please try. I appreciate the fact that you are the so-called voice of the republicans it emphasis the kind of hatred and confusion that is within your party.

January 18, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  20. T'sah from Virginia

Dang – she's up SHITzkabob Creek without a PADDLE!!! Maybe she can continue to BOP a few halibuts in the head while she is there!!

Politically, Sarah Palin is THROUGH!! However, she does have a chance if she sticks with FOX NEWS and/or get her own Radio Talk Show like Limbaugh!! She will continue to make $$$$$$$$$ because there are a few out there that ADORES HER (Pat Buchanan & Company); CNN will continue to give her a platform – So there is HOPE for her in the way of her own "personal" Reality Show!!!

All jokes aside – if Palin had a Half of Brain, she would truly have gone places! The RepubliCAN'Ts have "overstayed" their visit with her – used her for her votes – now they are "one by one" coming out and "delicately" DISSIN' her!!!! She does more HARM than GOOD!!

In the meantime, let's continue to support our current leader, President Obama, as he MOVES AMERICA FORWARD in a positive direction!!

January 18, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  21. NamePatrick Ujad

Please announce and let's know your plan.

January 18, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. Fed Up

Why should she shut up? Obama hasn't taken the hint with his low polls.He held a campaign rally in Arizona that he billed as a "Memorial service". Sorry, it was nothing but a campaign rally. I have never been so ashamed of a President in my life. Oh wait, there was Clinton.

January 18, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  23. donkey party

So Presidential!

January 18, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  24. bookenz

Sarah – sit down and shut up. Forever.

January 18, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. Anne

All I know is that if she runs and the US is stupid enough to elect her, I'm moving to Europe to be as far away from the US as possible when it either implodes or gets bombed by another country!

January 18, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |