Olbermann announces next move
February 8th, 2011

Olbermann announces next move

(CNN) - Keith Olbermann will be hosting a primetime show on Current TV – the network backed in part by Al Gore, the former MSNBC host announced Tuesday.

Olbermann abruptly departed MSNBC two weeks ago. He will begin his show "later in 2011," according to a statement from Current TV.

Full statement:

NEW YORK – February 8, 2011 – Keith Olbermann, the acclaimed broadcaster and writer whose verbal pyrotechnics and moral passion have outraged, informed, and dazzled viewers of "Countdown With Keith Olbermann" for the past eight years, is bringing his slashing wit, analytical eye, and distinctive commentary to Current Media, the Emmy┬« and Peabody Award-winning TV and digital media company that was founded in 2005 by Al Gore and Joel Hyatt and is now distributed in more than 75 million households around the world.

In addition to executive producing and hosting a new nightly primetime news and commentary show, Olbermann will also serve as the company's Chief News Officer and will have an equity stake in Current Media.

The new show will air live weeknights in primetime beginning later in 2011.

"Nothing is more vital to a free America than a free media, and nothing is more vital to my concept of a free media than news produced independently of corporate interference," said Olbermann. "In Current Media, Al Gore and Joel Hyatt have created the model truth-seeking entity. The opportunity to partner with Al, Joel and Mark Rosenthal makes this the most exciting venture in my career."

"Keith Olbermann is a gifted thinker, an amazing talent and a powerful communicator, and having him tap Current as his new home is exciting and very much in line with the core vision we founded this network on: To engage viewers with smart, provocative and timely programming," said Al Gore, Chairman and co-founder of Current. "In a world where there are fewer and fewer opportunities to hear truly distinct, unfettered voices on television, we are delighted to provide Keith with the independent platform and freedom that Current can, and does uniquely offer."

"Keith Olbermann is one of our society's most courageous talents. He speaks truth to power. He calls them as he sees them. He speaks his mind. Our society needs his kind of thoughtful analysis and commentary," said Joel Hyatt, Executive Vice Chairman and co-founder of Current. "Keith Olbermann is not afraid of dissenters. In his long and impressive career, he has developed a massive following of intelligent, informed people who enjoy a good debate and smart conversation. We welcome Keith and we also look forward to welcoming his fans as new Current TV viewers."

Keith Olbermann's show will lead a programming slate on Current that includes original and acquired TV series aimed at an influential adult audience. Current features compelling stories about everyday heroes and ordinary people in extraordinary situations, and takes you to sometimes dangerous and always intriguing places. Current shines a light on controversial subjects, tackling hot issues of the day in a thoughtful and sometimes humorous way. Current engages its viewers by sparking debate and discussion, and via interactive formats that allow viewers to inform its stories.

"We're very excited to welcome Keith Olbermann to Current," said Mark Rosenthal, CEO, Current Media. "Current is aimed at viewers who seek authentic, thought-provoking and meaningful television and an alternative to the 'scripted reality' or hard news found on other non-fiction networks. Keith is one of our great provocateurs. His style and voice are perfectly aligned with the programming we've developed to deliver on what those viewers demand."

Filed under: Keith Olbermann
  1. Protect and Defend Freedom of Speech in the USA

Current TV??? Never heard of it. Sounds like the TV broadcasting version of the Siberian Gulag. Good, Olberdork deserves to be exiled. He's a vile person.

February 8, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. ThinkAgain

Boo-Yah!!

I'm very happy to hear Olbermann will be returning to the airwaves! Although at times I think he goes over the top, at least he's into using facts as the basis for his news and commentary – something the likes of Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh and O'Reilly seem to be incapable of.

February 8, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I do not always agree with Keith but I miss him. He is the voice I need to get my ideas out. I want peace in the world, I want everyone to have a job. These are the real things he cares about. I am happy Current picked him up. Can't wait for the show to start. Please, just not at 9:00pm. I will not leave Rachel for Keith.

February 8, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  4. Rick McDaniel

Good riddance, is my view.

February 8, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

You willbe missed Keith. I wish Current TV had a wider viewership, their brand of responsible journalism is a dying breed these days.

February 8, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  6. Liberal Idiots

Next move should be to shoot Olbermann into outer space. He's no good for nothing.

February 8, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. Fair is Fair

Current TV? Great career move there, Olbermann. Before you know it, you'll be rocketing all the way up to The Home Shopping Network.

February 8, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I;m glad to see he landed on his feet.
    I'll find the programing and watch it.

February 8, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  9. Tx Democrat

The Countdown is BACK!

February 8, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  10. Rickster

lol.......nicely done, Keith.....and if you work really hard and do a good job you will be promoted to a Walmart Greeter position.

February 8, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. Republicans = Fascists -aka- ReFascisticans

Keith is the man! MSNBC screwed up big by letting him go.

February 8, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  12. Emma

I cannot wait! I love Keth!

February 8, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  13. Me

I'll be watching.

February 8, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  14. worstpersonoftheday

late addition to press release....Mr. Olberman after signing with Al Bore's Current TV will now be even more irrelevant than he was previously.

February 8, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. Snow

He only an audience of four people on his last show, I guess he will have less on his new show.

February 8, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. Rick

Wonderful news that Olbermann is disappearing into complete obscurity – well deserved!

February 8, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. Bruce

HA HA HA HA HHAAA HA AH

They fit together so well...

What a couple of has beens.

HA HA

February 8, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  18. Billy from Philly

God bless you Mr. Olbermann,
    Please, keep up the good work.

February 8, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. DIANA

Way ato go Keith. I hope my cable has that channel. I miss you.

February 8, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. John Svengali

I see continuity in the large-headed one moving to Al (Man-Bear-Pig) Gore's network from MSNBC; they both deal in fiction.

February 8, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. 24hourcampfire

It won't be long before KO wears out his welcome. If I were a staffer at CURRENT I would be one pissed puppy at the moment.

Oh well. Load up on diapers.

February 8, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. frankie313

If his followers enjoy a good debate they hav'nt seen any from him or never will.

February 8, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. Monster Zero

Keith Olberman will now take the next step in his career and the move will put him exactly where he belongs along with Chris Matthews, in the trash can.

February 8, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. DrT

And who cares?
    Chief "news" Officer (now there is an oxymoron), Olbermann that never let a fact get in the way of his mouth... ... is this a slow news day or a joke?
    Blow hard KO and Global warming alarmist, what a combo!

February 8, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. Gary

Gore has a network? Who knew? Let's add Michael Moore to the Keith deal and then we will never need to hear from either again. I predict Current TV will not live up to its name (current) and their weather forecasting will be less accurate that any other station. LOL

February 8, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |