'I'm through,' Palin says
March 24th, 2011

'I'm through,' Palin says

(CNN) - Sarah Palin says she's done.

Done with whining about the media, that is.

In an appearance on Fox News, where she serves as a contributor, Palin shrugged off a recent sexual slur directed her way from comedian Bill Maher, saying, "I'm through whining about a liberal press that holds particularly conservative women to a different standard, because it doesn't do any good to whine about it."

"Nobody ever promised life was going to be fair," Palin continued in what appeared to be a departure from her usual pattern of forcefully responding to critics, especially those in the media. "And politics really isn't fair, the scrutiny, the double standards, and all that. I'm dealing with it I guess in a different way than others who want to bring more light to it and demand that Bill Maher apologize."

The comments come a day after the traditionally-liberal National Organization for Women issued a statement condemning Maher for directing the slur toward Palin, saying, "Cut the crap! Stop degrading women with whom you disagree and/or don't like by using female body terms or other gender-associated slurs."

But Palin made clear she is none too welcome of newfound support from NOW, an organization that has long been critical of Palin and her stances on issues like abortion.

"I need NOW's defense like a fish needs a bicycle," the former Alaska governor said.

But she also vowed to be an advocate for other conservative women who come under attack.

"When it comes to other women, when it comes to my daughters…when somebody says something that's not true, I am not going to retreat on that. I'll reload and tell them what I think about them," she said.

Meanwhile, Palin says the door remains open to a possible presidential run in 2012, though quickly tempered those comments by saying, "You don't need a title, you don't need an office to make a difference." Still, the Alaska Republican says she's tempted:

"I am tempted to because I am still wondering who is going to be out there with a servant's heart, willing to serve the American people for the right reason. Not for ego, not for special interests…I am waiting to see, who else is out there willing to do this."

The former vice presidential candidate also directed fire toward President Obama's recent dealings with the crisis in Libya, suggesting the president has not made his mission there clear.

"We better be in it to win it. 'Win it' means Qadhafi goes and America gets to get on out of there," she said.

"It's not America's role not to be out and about nation building and telling other countries how to live," Palin added.

The interview with FOX follows a two country trip abroad, during which she visited India and Israel.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Please learn English

Hasn't she learned what a double negative means?

March 24, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. Jack

what does the next to last paragraph mean, is America supposed to tell other countries what to do or not, her statement is unclear. Also she says we better win it then says we better get out of there.

March 24, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  3. cathstar

Please don't tease me with a promising headline like that ever again! I was hoping that Palin was through with politics, through with the USA, through with being a babbling idiot, through with being an embarrassment, etc. And she never will be through with whining about the so-called "liberal" media. Anyone who disagrees with this extreme right-wing lunatic must be labelled "liberal" - as if that were a bad thing. Extreme conservatives are, for the most part, a bunch of narrow-minded Neanderthals. Being labelled "conservative" (narrow-minded) is extremely embarrassing, while being labelled "liberal" (open-minded) is quite flattering.

March 24, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. Reddog

Rats! I was hoping she was really "through". As in quitting quitting politics and going back to where she came from. Enough already about the "Quitter from Wasilla".

March 24, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  5. Nawsh

Dear Sarah finally we agree "Yes we have long since been through with your shenanigans!"Enjoy your life, be a good grandmother,mother and wife and go back to Alaska to bild your library.

March 24, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. Dave

Awful grammar aside (a third grader know that her sentence was not proper). Why does she defend Bush and Iraq? Because she is a hypocrite and Maher was right about her all along. A scumbag quitter = Palin

March 24, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. A God fearing Muslim Woman

I voted for her in 08!

March 24, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  8. Jim

For someone who's through whining about it, she sure runs on and on about it. While I intenselly dislike Maher's slurs towards anyone not agreeing with his political views (And I agree with many of them!), I think Mrs. Palin should be shutting her pie-hole and just trying to hold on to whatever support she has. All she is doing is proving the people who attack her for being a quitter and a whiner.

March 24, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. RV

Wasn't it Palin and Angle and Bachman who were telling the "male candidates" they ran against to grow some male parts? I don't understand, now she's whinning? Live by the sword... die by the sword.

March 24, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  10. N Peters

I wish she would drop out & go back to Alaska.
    One sure way to reelect a Demecrate will be to have Pailin on the ticket.
    SHE IS & WILL NEVER BE QUALIFIED TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!

March 24, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. Sammy Z

Nevermind, I found it myself on a competing News site.

Bill Maher called Palin a Dumb word that rhymes with SWAT but begins with the letter "T" Can't say I disagree.

March 24, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  12. Suz

"...when somebody says something that's not true, I am not going to retreat on that. I'll reload and tell them what I think about them."

Why does this woman use so much gun rhetoric? The frequency of these analogies to gun use is kind of disturbing.

March 24, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. Salty Peacock

Can you really be through with whining about the media when you then go on to whine about the media?

March 24, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. Alex

Palin – I'll reload and tell them what I think about them," she said.

Still with the gun references? She does not speak for any of the women of the USA! She speaks for bank account. Shut up Palin, you have a family to raise.

March 24, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  15. Clubber25

It's apparent that Sahra has'nt heard the old saying, " it's better to shut your mouth and appear ignorant than to open it and prove you are".

March 24, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. Ken

It's NOT our role to NOT tell other countries how to live? So we're supposed to bully around the entire world and tell them how to live? Jeez.

March 24, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Shayne from NH

Crazy but she's making more and more sense lately. I hate to think that I am getting more dumb....

March 24, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. Anonymous

I'm through whining about this. Now let me tell you in detail what I'm through whining about. But I'm not going to whine about it. Now let's see...here are the things I'm whining about....

March 24, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  19. Seer

Is there any check for mental health required of presidential candidates? All Palin DOES is whine! The crown jewel of this article is her comment about having a "servant's heart": would a servant of the people cut and run from her job as Governor in order to make millions running a talk show that hardly "serves" anyone the way a good governor would? I also loved how she missed the point of America's involvement in Libya as part of a multinational force under the auspices of regional bodies (the Arab League.) We're there to serve by protecting Libya's people from massacre, not be "in it to win it"

Go ahead and run, Sarah. You'll guarantee the Democrats a victory.

March 24, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  20. Wha?

Again with the "reload" comments??? Stop it. Just stop it.

March 24, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  21. MASS4CHANGE

If somehow the GOP weasels you into the White House Americans should stop, pack, leave, torching the country on our way out!

March 24, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  22. Rich

I think she means she's finished.

March 24, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  23. Earthchild

Go away Sarah.

March 24, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  24. Abiding Lib

I'm just glad she's not "through" exploiting people to line her own pockets. That means the rest of us can continue to bank on many more days and nights of cringe-worthy comedy courtesy of the former governor.

March 24, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  25. Rick McDaniel

Bill Maher can be funny, but his politics are just as extreme as Palin's.......just in a different way. I would never listen to Bill Maher, for voting guidance, whatsoever.

March 24, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |