'I'm through,' Palin says
March 24th, 2011

'I'm through,' Palin says

(CNN) - Sarah Palin says she's done.

Done with whining about the media, that is.

In an appearance on Fox News, where she serves as a contributor, Palin shrugged off a recent sexual slur directed her way from comedian Bill Maher, saying, "I'm through whining about a liberal press that holds particularly conservative women to a different standard, because it doesn't do any good to whine about it."

"Nobody ever promised life was going to be fair," Palin continued in what appeared to be a departure from her usual pattern of forcefully responding to critics, especially those in the media. "And politics really isn't fair, the scrutiny, the double standards, and all that. I'm dealing with it I guess in a different way than others who want to bring more light to it and demand that Bill Maher apologize."

The comments come a day after the traditionally-liberal National Organization for Women issued a statement condemning Maher for directing the slur toward Palin, saying, "Cut the crap! Stop degrading women with whom you disagree and/or don't like by using female body terms or other gender-associated slurs."

But Palin made clear she is none too welcome of newfound support from NOW, an organization that has long been critical of Palin and her stances on issues like abortion.

"I need NOW's defense like a fish needs a bicycle," the former Alaska governor said.

But she also vowed to be an advocate for other conservative women who come under attack.

"When it comes to other women, when it comes to my daughters…when somebody says something that's not true, I am not going to retreat on that. I'll reload and tell them what I think about them," she said.

Meanwhile, Palin says the door remains open to a possible presidential run in 2012, though quickly tempered those comments by saying, "You don't need a title, you don't need an office to make a difference." Still, the Alaska Republican says she's tempted:

"I am tempted to because I am still wondering who is going to be out there with a servant's heart, willing to serve the American people for the right reason. Not for ego, not for special interests…I am waiting to see, who else is out there willing to do this."

The former vice presidential candidate also directed fire toward President Obama's recent dealings with the crisis in Libya, suggesting the president has not made his mission there clear.

"We better be in it to win it. 'Win it' means Qadhafi goes and America gets to get on out of there," she said.

The interview with FOX follows a two country trip abroad, during which she visited India and Israel.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. J

Thats right Sarah, take all the progress that NOW has helped to bring and use it to make yourself rich, just make sure to keep condemning them even though you probably had no idea who they even were before this week.

March 24, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  2. NancyRose

Double negative... So, basically, the nimrod hag is saying that it IS America's role to be out and about nation building and telling other countries how to live. Not that she'd understand that that was what she was really saying... She speaks like an 8-year-old. And my God, how old and ugly she's looking lately... I just don't understand for the life of me how ANYONE can say that that hag is attractive. Some people must have really low standards of beauty. Yuck!!!

March 24, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  3. terry, va

The lame stream media hates anyone conservative. I wish they would take on Obummie and call him names and slur his man hood like they do Palin. I'm not a fan of Palin, but fair is fair. Obummie can do no wrong and everyone else can do no right. The American media is reminding me of state ran China media. I hope Obummie doesn't send his secret police to my house for saying this.

March 24, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. LAUREN

Palin degrades liberals as biased but when an organization like NOW defends what they always defend, the denegration of women, she says she doesn't need their support. I don't understand why she always slaps away anyone or organization that doesn't totally agree with her. She seems to just be a disagreeable person but she is making $$ so I guess in her mind it works just fine.

March 24, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  5. gt

bill maher plays to ultra liberal pagan viewers ....he could not make it on regualr tv .... one thing is for certain about women rights .... its liberal womens rights only..... double standard is the norm ... it just took someone from the conservative side to show the ugly side of the left .....

March 24, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. carrotroot

Sarah Palin is playing the victim card again to stay in the news. Nobody's said anything about her in a long time, if anything the media has ignoring her since January. This latest tirade seems to have come out of the blue.

March 24, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  7. PNWjim

Sarah, you make me laugh.You are such a liar. You did not say a word when Bush went into Iraq and you and your types want nothing better than to tell us how to live and what is right and how we should think and feel.The reason you do not talk to the liberated [not libera] press is because you can not handle questions without someone telling you the answers first and always seem to say the wrong thing and make you sound stupid.

March 24, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. T

She does not even know where Lybia is she is such a dimwit. This from a person who had to be told Africa was not a country!

March 24, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. Cedar Rapids

'"It's not America's role not to be out and about nation building and telling other countries how to live," Palin added.'
    This must be Palin from an alternate universe right?, I mean just the other week she was complaining about US not helping the Libyians out,

March 24, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  10. Anonymous

Sarah the right candidate for the right. She's greedy, insincere, loud mouthed , an old beauty queen with a cheating husband a slut for a daughter and a prop she slings across her shoulder to evoke pity all the ingredients of a Charlie Sheen or Lindsey Lohan saga which Americans find so enthralling. The dumbing down of America can be her campaign slogan and all those Country music devotees can praise her for trashing the President overseas holding up her book like it's the Holy Grail. Hypocrites need a candidTE TOO.

March 24, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  11. Lee

Well, at least she acknowledges that she's done little more than whine...kudos for SOME self-reflection, I guess.

March 24, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. Cindy

Wow! With all the violence and death caused by humans and suffering caused by natural disasters, a congreswoman who, despite a miraculous recovery, will never be the same. You still have to use a term that equates standing up for yourself/others in terms that depict gun violence?!!! How does that help anything, serve anyone?

Everyone, including you, needs to learn to be mindful about how you act and what you say. The real problem in this world is the selfish me, me, me that is becoming even more of a global epidemic than it has in the past. Mindful practice, courtesy, compassion. Until you learn these, or at least attempt to practice these traits, you are servent to none, not even yourself.

Namaste

March 24, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  13. mn

you didn't mention for background what maher said. that leaves the story incomplete. i don't have time to do research and go back. thank you.

March 24, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. atypical

not for ego, and not for special/selfish interests? well, then it wouldn't be you either, Palin. But those would be the least of the reasons as to why it won't be you.

March 24, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  15. Megs

What a joke CNN is – making out like she is quitting. Are you becoming the National Enquirer???

March 24, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  16. Anonymous

"But Palin made clear she is none to welcome of newfound support from NOW"... shouldn't that read "none too welcome"?

March 24, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. Realistic

Now we can all hope she is done talking about trying to run for president, she will not win.

March 24, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  18. tony

I find her mind repugnant.

March 24, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  19. DisgustedReader

Reload? Again? Why does she keep reloading so often? I think because she can't seem to hit any targets. The only Target she can hit is the on that next to an Archer Farms Supermarket

March 24, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  20. Groox

I was sorely disappointed by the headline. I was hoping Palin was giving up the ghost of running for president and going to stick to what she's good at: blathering non-sense on Fox. But instead I find she's just "done whining..." I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it. Oh, and someone needs to tell Palin that double-negatives logically say the opposite of the intention. (We're not NOT nation building...like Homer was not NOT licking toads.)

March 24, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  21. Karma6338

It is so hard on the brain to read this woman's quotes. Geesh!

March 24, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  22. Chris

Can this woman be any more hypocritical?

March 24, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  23. MAhole

When I read the headline I thought to myself that finally my prayers had been answered.........

No such luck. $i$ter $arah is still up to her old tricks. She is irrelavant and needs to go away – still.............

March 24, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  24. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

She has never liked "the media" which is who ever quotes her and finds fault with her. So, that would be everyone? She is techincally allowed to run for president. So am I but I know that I can't win. Palin doesn't seem to understand that because she is in the public light that she will be reviewed and skewered. I guess she can't take it.

March 24, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  25. Eric in Manhattan

...and who knows more about whining than you?

March 24, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |