'I'm through,' Palin says
March 24th, 2011

'I'm through,' Palin says

(CNN) - Sarah Palin says she's done.

Done with whining about the media, that is.

In an appearance on Fox News, where she serves as a contributor, Palin shrugged off a recent sexual slur directed her way from comedian Bill Maher, saying, "I'm through whining about a liberal press that holds particularly conservative women to a different standard, because it doesn't do any good to whine about it."

"Nobody ever promised life was going to be fair," Palin continued in what appeared to be a departure from her usual pattern of forcefully responding to critics, especially those in the media. "And politics really isn't fair, the scrutiny, the double standards, and all that. I'm dealing with it I guess in a different way than others who want to bring more light to it and demand that Bill Maher apologize."

The comments come a day after the traditionally-liberal National Organization for Women issued a statement condemning Maher for directing the slur toward Palin, saying, "Cut the crap! Stop degrading women with whom you disagree and/or don't like by using female body terms or other gender-associated slurs."

But Palin made clear she is none too welcome of newfound support from NOW, an organization that has long been critical of Palin and her stances on issues like abortion.

"I need NOW's defense like a fish needs a bicycle," the former Alaska governor said.

But she also vowed to be an advocate for other conservative women who come under attack.

"When it comes to other women, when it comes to my daughters…when somebody says something that's not true, I am not going to retreat on that. I'll reload and tell them what I think about them," she said.

Meanwhile, Palin says the door remains open to a possible presidential run in 2012, though quickly tempered those comments by saying, "You don't need a title, you don't need an office to make a difference." Still, the Alaska Republican says she's tempted:

"I am tempted to because I am still wondering who is going to be out there with a servant's heart, willing to serve the American people for the right reason. Not for ego, not for special interests…I am waiting to see, who else is out there willing to do this."

The former vice presidential candidate also directed fire toward President Obama's recent dealings with the crisis in Libya, suggesting the president has not made his mission there clear.

"We better be in it to win it. 'Win it' means Qadhafi goes and America gets to get on out of there," she said.

The interview with FOX follows a two country trip abroad, during which she visited India and Israel.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Former Republican, but never again!

I'm certainly through with her! What an idiot!

March 24, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  2. Charlie from the North

'I'm through,' Palin says"

Shame on you CNN for writing such misleading headlines. I was really hoping she was "through with politics. Stop getting my hopes up with you fancy words and only to dash them

March 24, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  3. Emerson

Not to split hairs, Princess Palin, but the "liberal press" you refer to would mean newspapers or magazines, a typr of media which I am not sure you are very familiar with. In contrast, Bill Maher is on cable TV. I think the standard you are having trouble with is the ability to be informed on issues and speak intelligently about them rather thanjust spouting ideology and making snarky remarks on Twitter. If "particularly" conservative women can't meet that standard, I guess they do have a problem and it is not with the media.

March 24, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  4. bcnu_too

Please can't we be done with this moron? CNN needs to stop reporting on her every word. All she does is whine and complain. She can say the most horrible things about people but she thinks she is above any type of criticism. I notice she is also still promoting guns and shooting people – saying she'll not retreat and she will reload. What a moron and CNN helps to publicize her.

March 24, 2011 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  5. greyhackles

Riiight. First, that sure sounds like whining from here. Second, she is all about money and ego. And third, "public servant" fits her like...um...a fish fits a bicycle. She's a professional quitter – how many different schools did she have to attend to finally find one that would give her a degree?

Puhleaze...

March 24, 2011 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. Jeff

If only she was through speaking in public. Go home and be quiet Sarah. You are an embarrassment to yourself, your family and your country.

March 24, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. beevee

Any sane american would not want Palin to become president of the US. She does not have the intellect to be a leader and her thoughtless barkings at every comment/criticism from the press is a big turn off for all to even think of her as a leader.

March 24, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. Todd

"You don't need a title, you don't need an office to make a difference." Says the half governor.

March 24, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. JS

Terrible journalism. Misleading story headline., but what do you expect from the media. The media is a terrible way to gather news anymore.

March 24, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. nimitta

So, you were opposed to the Bush administration's 2003 invasion of Iraq?

I'm sorry...could you speak up, Sarah?

March 24, 2011 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Conan The Grammarian

"But Palin made clear she is none to welcome of newfound support from NOW, an organization that has long been critical of Palin and her stances on issues like abortion."

I disapprove of this sentence.

March 24, 2011 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. Allan

She is such a hypocrite. She says what she will do "when somebody says something that's not true", that she will "tell them what {she} think{s} about them". Yet she says many things that aren't true, and then she complains vehemently and chastises the "lamestream media" and others when they point out or tell her what they think about those lies. Facts simply don't matter to her.

March 24, 2011 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. John

If only she was...

March 24, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. Pras

From a policy perspective, this is why Palin should not be elected President. "Win it" means Qadhafi goes and America gets to get on out of there" When did the USA become the worlds executioner and leaves the mess for others to clean up?(that was rhetorical by the way)

March 24, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. Doug

Maher is not a liberal. Maybe to Palin, but to a liberal he's small minded conservative who think he's smart.

March 24, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  16. Rodney

1. Bill Maher is not a member of the press.
    2. If life were fair, Palin would not be making the money that she makes.

March 24, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  17. Dave in Chicago

I watched Bill; the comment must have gone right over my head. Understandably, though, her fiery, misinformed tirades can periodically stir targeted rants from others. On the relevant parts of the story, she completely ignored that this is a NATO mission with a UN mandate – Obama is not calling the shots. I know, international is not her strong suit. This is not a caribou that you shoot while hiding behind a bush, dear (or a McCain, for that matter)! She doesn’t agree with the benefit of our helping to spread democracy throughout the world. Really? Read up, hon!!! Are you moving over to the Democrats now?

March 24, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  18. midwest

DARN! I was so excited by the headline – only to have my bubble burst! How disappointing.

March 24, 2011 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. orangetriangle

This outrage from the woman who referred to men she disagreed with as "limp and impotent". If she doesn't like sexual allusion directed at women, she should refrain from directing the same toward men.
    Palin says she's looking to see if someone will run for President who does not have a big ego. That must rule her out. The voice she hears that she believes is God telling her what to do is actually her oversized ego.

March 24, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. Hemdog

Nice, misleading headline. Good job.

March 24, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. Mary Lu McFall

What does "none to welcome" mean? Known to welcome? None too welcome? Or something altogether different?

March 24, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  22. Debbie

Darn the headline was so misleading!!!!! I thought she was really doen...although I think she is!

March 24, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  23. joe the plummer

She's a mass of confused circuits – "It's not America's role not to be out and about nation building and telling other countries how to live," Palin added. Too many "nots." Wish she would stop "reloading" her mouth.

March 24, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  24. Alan

The bait and switch on this headline is absolutely ridiculous. Come on CNN, are you a news service or a tabloid? Because lately, you seem quite confused.

March 24, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  25. Ruth

Oh, you did it to me again - made me read an article about Sarah Palin by fooling me. Of course I thought, and sincerely hoped, that she was going back to Alaska and would from now on stay far, far away from the media but no such luck. The woman is a media whore, and the media is playing into it.

March 24, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |