Trump warns of 'greatest scam' ever
March 31st, 2011

Trump warns of 'greatest scam' ever

(CNN) – It's official: Donald Trump is a "birther." But he'd prefer you don't use that term.

Speaking to MSNBC Thursday, the business mogul and improbable presidential candidate reiterated much of what he has said in the last several days when it comes to doubting President Obama's birthplace, declaring, "I am embracing the issue, and I'm proud of the issue. I think somebody has to embrace it."

Trump, who in the last two weeks has raised the debunked issue on several programs, added he finds the term "birther" downright insulting.

"I don't like the name birther," he said. "I think it's very unfair and derogatory to a lot of good people that happen to think there is a possibility that this man was not born in this country."

Filed under: Donald Trump
  1. Laurie in Spokane

Trump, Schmump. Let it go you morons. We have a President, finally a good one after 8 years of Bush, and all you can do is beat a dead horse about his birth certificate? Try, try (I know it's against your true grain) to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

March 31, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Bill

Got to agree w Trump. I am a Democrat, voted for Obama. HOWEVER, it appears that Obama was likely born in Kenya. I don't say so, but some of his relatives who were at the birth (supposedly) say so. For crying out loud, produce the birth record Mr President! Get this over with! Don't hide behind "privacy".

March 31, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. Dean

Trump added he will continue to press the issue because, "If it were true, it'd be the greatest scam in the history of this country." Yet, since it is not, that makes you and all the other 'birthers' the greatest fools in the history of this country.

March 31, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  4. Charlie from the North

Oh Donald,

I thought you were smarter (and classier than that. You already did not have my vote but now you have lost my viewership and my respect. Shame on you and on whoever is giving you advice.

March 31, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. Peggy

I'm sorry, but Donald Trump has finally gone over the edge. With everything that is going wrong in this country, he embraces birtherism? It just shows that he doesn't seem to understand the issues in our country.

March 31, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. Jon

Trump and a lot of other clear thinking people want to know: Was he or wasn't he born in the US. If he wasn't...he needs to be impeached and tried for various felonies that he would have had to have committed to get where he is now.

And I want to know something else: Supposedly Obama was a college professor. Why do we never hear anything about or from any of his former students?

March 31, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. bob

The birth record they have posted online for Trump says Jamacia hospital. Does that mean the island of Jamacia or Jamacia N.Y.? Donald says you can get a birthcertificate from anywhere so go figure.............also calling them birthers is a very appropriate name for such mean spirited disrepectful idiots (They are not little sweet meek innocent victims DONALD!) P.S. ROAD KILL is a very appropriate name for donald trump's hair style!

March 31, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  8. Gregg

Trump ... I refuse to give him the implied respect in a "Mr" ... is dysfunctional.

He is bombastic and only speaks in terms of hyperbole, exaggeration and mis-direction Notice how he always "has a LOT of friends who __ " or "knows so-andso REALLY well". These are words which con-men, liars, hucksters use.

He claims he went to the "BEST" school in the country. Without any prompting, most people would assume that HARVARD is the best school in the country. Trump didn't go and couldn't get into HARVARD

In Trump-speak, by saying he went to the 'best school' he means to imply Wharton – the GRADUATE business school of the University of Pennsylvania. The only thing is, Trump DOES NOT have an MBA from Wharton. He has a BA (an undergraduate degree) from the U of Pennsylvania.

This is but one example of how he tries to mislead, scam, lie [or as he said about Kadafhi, screw] people.

March 31, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  9. Charlie from the North

BTW. The Greatest scam in US history remains Reaganomics. That is the GOP dirty little secret.

March 31, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. RG

How about this, you can run schwarzenegger in the next election, and we won't even ASK to see his birth certificate, just like all other non-black presidents of the past.
    We'll even turm the clock bak 50 years and put his birth announcement in some newspaper in Ohio.

March 31, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. Lynne

Oh my gosh! Talk about your transparency! Please, Please, Please keep my face in the press!!!!! I have no clue what I am talking about and there is no way in heck I could ever be president, but keep me in the press!!!!! Next time you can take a picture of me with my tin foil hat on!!!!

Take you meds Trump! There is no conspiracy!!!!! and stop fake tanning you look strange enough with the hair

March 31, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. Beverly - NYC

Poor Donald, the hairspay you're using on that orange tinged combover has sent you full nutter. Do you really think that if there was something to find out about the President's birthpalce l the Republicans with mega money who pull the string behind the scenes like the Kochs brothers have not found it Or the Clinton or McCain campaigns would not have loved to find something to get him out of the primaries. When Bill O'Reilly of all people calls you out, Dude, you've truly lost it and on your way to Glen Beck territory.

Cut it out Chump, the joke has run long enough, hold a press conference say you have no intention of running for President and go away. Anyone with a brain knows that you will never release your financials, you've done dirt to enough people who would like to see how over leveraged you are to pick your bones clean and no one in their right mind will give a 3 times married loud mouth 600 million to run a losing campaign.

March 31, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  13. LogicAndReality

Used to have the utmost respect for this man, somebody who's behavior should be modeled... to having no respect for him whatsoever. He's a crazy conspiracy theorist and fundamentally lacks basic logical reasoning.

March 31, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  14. John

Look up the social security number on the selective service form Obama filed, the social security administration states that social security number was never issued, Trump is correct Obama was not born in the United States.

March 31, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  15. Rdepontb

Nothing is stopping Mr. Trump from having the issue investigated. If he truly was interested in "the truth" here, he would do just that-hire professional investigators to confirm the President's nationality status.

Your move, Donald, or all quiet on the set!

March 31, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. ML/NJ

Debunked by whom?

The real disgrace is that there is a large set of Republicans who won't touch the issue. By now, every sane person has to know that everything in the official pre-Chicago story about Barack Obama is suspect.

March 31, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. Dale

I embrace the conspiracy of Elvis clones flying UFO's abducting people to probe their openings. It is a huge coverup, and if you doubt that then you are obviously part of the conspiracy. If it were true, it'd be the greatest scam in the history of this country.

March 31, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  18. sammieb51

Now Trump says "should have let GM take chapter 11" - what happened to that tv commercial where he says "You can't let a company like GM fail" that aired until about a month ago? And now the birther issue? Give me break - how many state courts have tossed this out, the supreme court has tossed it out, our own federal congress unanimously supported a "resolution" accepting the documentation that would be acceptable under any other circumstances (and has been accepted thusly). Many Americans are born every year outside of the US to US parent(s) and automatically have US citizenship or share dual citizenship with the homelands of both parents. What are people smoking these days and NO THANKYOU I DON'T WANT ANY.

March 31, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. J

Trump doens't need to bother running for president after this morning's performance – he came off as manic, made wildly incorrect and offensive statments, and generally looked like a real birther.

All free publicity, but there aren't enough crazy voters in the entire country for him to win any election.

March 31, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  20. chris

This is classic and quite a typical tactic of radical groups to use, here is how it goes, while the majority of sane American find talk of this nature as absurd, the ideal thing for a radical group is to find someone(Trump in this case) that people deem as legitimate have them say it. Therefore by doing so, you create doubt in those who at first didn't believe the fallacy but now may think twice about it. Now, you will see others who at first said oh I truly believe the President was born in the US start casting doubt. CLASSIC!!!
    But, for Trump to actually get involved in this crap is really a shame!!! I mean, it is not doubt in my mind this guy is a closet racist...yeah I went there!!! He talks a good game like he is not, but I truly believe he is. To convince me otherwise he would definitely, I have to show me his "black friends list"

March 31, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. The Other Dale

Okay, I get it, we'll have Romey yelling about jobs and Palwenty on Unions, and someone else to cover the Middle East and someone else to cover the budget. And Trump got the short straw and has to go with the Birther stuff. Tough luck there, Trump, but you know what they saw, "luck at cards, a sucker in real life."

March 31, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  22. Buccakenji

Keep up the pressure, Donald. You are right. If there was not an issue with the birth certificate, Obama could easily debunk the issue by producing a valid one just as you have done.

Saw you on OReilly. Liked your candid responses to the most serious issues facing the United States.

March 31, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  23. Jon in Rochester NY

Mr. Trump,

When I first heard that you might run for president, I thought that you might be good for the country because of your business savey. All of this "birther" stuff you have been spouting lately made me realize what a fringe lunitic you are. You will never get my vote.

March 31, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. Nurse Lisa

Trump the self-loving media hound is just looking for some easy publicity that will be popular with those most likely to vote for him. The right leaning legal scholars on the Supreme Court would not have sworn in Obama if there was any chance he was ineligible to be president. For those who believe he is a citizen and that records from Hawaii have proven it ad nauseum, no further proof is necessary; for the skeptics there is no proof that will suffice – like a technologically 40+ yr old long form birth certificate would be impossible to counterfeit. PULEEZE.

March 31, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. Bob

If this is true and becomes the biggest scam in American history I wont plame Obama at all. 100% of the blame will be on the media..

March 31, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |