Trump warns of 'greatest scam' ever
March 31st, 2011

Trump warns of 'greatest scam' ever

(CNN) – It's official: Donald Trump is a "birther." But he'd prefer you don't use that term.

Speaking to MSNBC Thursday, the business mogul and improbable presidential candidate reiterated much of what he has said in the last several days when it comes to doubting President Obama's birthplace, declaring, "I am embracing the issue, and I'm proud of the issue. I think somebody has to embrace it."

Trump, who in the last two weeks has raised the debunked issue on several programs, added he finds the term "birther" downright insulting.

"I don't like the name birther," he said. "I think it's very unfair and derogatory to a lot of good people that happen to think there is a possibility that this man was not born in this country."

Trump added he will continue to press the issue because, "If it were true, it'd be the greatest scam in the history of this country."

Filed under: Donald Trump
  1. Cindy

Obama is spending millions of dollars to not produce his birth certificate; there must be something there that Obama does not want people to see.
    Here is the fix, during the 2012 presidential debates, everyone must produce a birth certificate to be in the debate.

March 31, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. Bart

I know he has to move to the right, but jumping on this issue is not smart. Why not the 9-11 conspiracy? Although the birther thing will endear him to a few conservative nutbags, the independents and normal conservatives will not give him a chance. He is only pretending to want to run to boost his T.V. show ratings. I will not watch.

March 31, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. Larry from Texas

Surely Mr. Trump knows about archives kept across the world of all the world's newspapers. Those who kept record of the Honolulu newspaper all have a copy of the birth announcement of President Obama. With Mr. Trump's millions he must have asked his employees to do this search before joining the "birthers" in this foolish quest. He's totally lost his mind. I wouldn't invest a single cent toward an enterprise controlled by such a complete moron and ego maniac.

March 31, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  4. d

Trump is going to turn the primaries into a reality show, and if he gets the nomination, the general election. In Donald Trump's America, the president is chosen by a panel of four judges, with various humorous personality traits (don't confuse this with George W. Bush's America, where the president is chosen by nine judges). This is nothing more than a publicity stunt, and pandering to the conspiracy theorists who seem to dominate the modern Republican party.

March 31, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. joe smith

this is not the only question, albeit the most compelling to be resolved; but who paid for his education, and where were the necessary identications documents at that time..Mr. Trump is correct, confimation of the facts resolves this issue..maybe had not Jack Wheeler met with an unfortunate end, he could have answered these burning questions..

March 31, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. Brad

But it's not true. What part of "this has been proven false" does he not understand? Don't get me wrong...I love it that he and his like keep bringing it up because it shows the American people how utterly crazy they actually are. However, at some point, when there is zero evidence for your side and all the evidence on the other side, you have to give it up.

March 31, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. prouddem

I ws going to say that it proves you don't have to have brains to become a billionare! It's all just hype for ratings for his Celebrity Apprentice TV Show. But I guess that is brilliant after all! LOL

March 31, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Sean

"Birther" is only viewed as derogatory because the theory it represents is so ridiculous. It's a completely fair label. Trump is just troubled by the fact that he now falls into this sub-group of irrelevant, dogmatic ideologues.

March 31, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. David Shelly

Donald, donald, donald. We all know you are the greatest sammer there is!!! Just ask any contractor whoi has done work for you only to not be paid!!! You are an idiot for embracing this issue. You are a birther!!!

March 31, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. KKDenver

Give me a break. The fact that you are breathing is an insult to all thinking people.

March 31, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. T

Because he has no idea......playing games, i am waiting for which Rep going to call him out. To make them look good.
    This is all a smoke screen. Good guy /bad guy.....the oldest game in the books. He is playing it not very well.

March 31, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. Monster Zero

If you want to get a driver's license in my State you are required to produce a long form birth certificate. This has nothing to do with Obama's race and everything to do with his background and political agenda. Like it or not, America is involved in a holy war with radical Islam, whether we like it, know it or admit it. Obama has strong ties to Islam as well as ties to an anti-American AA church, I desire to know more about Obama's background. Obama's grandparents were avowed Communists, I desire to know more about Obama's background. Obama surrounded himself with domestic terrorists and avowed Communists and Socialists such as Bill Ayers and Van Jones during his political tenure, I desire to know more about Obama's background. Obama appears out of nowhere without a shred of any true proven leadership capabilities or accomplishments riding the AA PC guilt train to the Whitehouse, I desire to know more about his background. The birther issue originally arose from Phil Berg, a Hillary Clinton DNC supporter from Philadelphia during the primaries, I desire to know more about Obama's background. Call me what you wish, it means nothing to me, I vote and as a citizen of the United States it is our right to know and verify any and all of the aforementioned.

March 31, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  13. StrategicBob

I never had any respect for Trump but, until he jumped on the birther bandwagon, I had not realized just how stupid and devoid of decency and integrity he really is.

March 31, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  14. Dianna

It's official, Trump's gone over the edge, I was hoping he'd shut up about this issue, but he had to open his mouth again. I am hereby removing Celebrity Apprentice from my DVR line up. I won't be able to look at him any longer and won't support his show by watching it. Too bad, it was pretty amusing ...

March 31, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. barbara reinard

OMG this man should be ashamed of him self. He will do anything to be president even lie. I use to think he was an ok guy-but once he starts talking birther he lost me. Rosie was right.

March 31, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Why would anyone, other than Betty the Birther, listen to this idiot. He admitted that he screwed Ghaddafi, and screwed America when he registered his Trump jet in a foreign country to avoid taxes.

March 31, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. Dan J

The only way this issue would be "debunked," as CNN claims, is if Obama shows his official birth certificate. Obama IS a US citizen, and I believe Trump knows that. Obama is spending millions preventing its release. If it were me, and someone was calling me a liar, I'd want to shove it down their throats. Why won't he release it? It makes the right look like raving lunatics, and its the most effective negative advertising Obama has in his arsenal. It also makes him the same kind of politician he promised never to be.

March 31, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  18. Joel

Says the man who said he'd gladly released his birth certificate, and releases a shoddy piece of paper that looks less legit than the Perfect Attendance certificates I used to get in elementary school.

March 31, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Oregon68

So then, 'this man' Donald Trump, has nothing better to do...as a 'possible' presidential candidate than to cling dearly to the possibility that the President might not be a citizen of the US, simply because it would make a wonderful outing of a scam to meet all scams? How pathetic. Proof of just one more unqualified candidate coming on the scene.

March 31, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  20. Kim

Actually, I think the Trump possible presidential run is one of the biggest scams bein perpetuated – of course his sudden birtherism is just another. Trump is a scam artist with an oversized ego that feeds on this type of publicity.

March 31, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  21. JohnCL

If all other Republican and Tea Party members choose not to run for the Presidency in 2012 so that The Donald gets a nomination by default and The Donald puts his bet on a "birther" charge, we will see the most lopsided election in the history of the Republic. Let's hear if for The Donald!

March 31, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. M.K.

If Donald Trump is so enamored about the truth, why doesn't he come clean about all of his bankrupties and shady business dealings. he is tied to the mafia and everybody in the know in New York knows it. This prime donna is so in love with himself he thinks he is God almighty. Why doesn't the IRS investigate him and find out what all he is hiding?

March 31, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. Anne

and the greatest scam in the history of this country was going to war based on falsehoods that ended up costing trillions of dollars but more importantly thousands of soldiers lives (not counting the civilians on the other side)!!!

March 31, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. Marion

This is truly unbelievable.....that he is "sticking to his story", "no matter who or what debunks it". Keep it up Donald......you will go the way of Sarah Palin and be the laughing stock of the Republican party. I find his stubborn belief that the president "may not have been born in this country", just a manifestation of his large ego that can't admit he may be way out of line about this. He made a large fool of himself with that fiasco with Rosie O'Donnell, and now this. LOL

March 31, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. Laverne

No Mr. Trump you are the biggest scam. You go around flashing your dirty, filthy money that you have made scamming from people all over the world. You are no better than Bernie Madoff and to be honest a right down disgrace to even consider yourself a potential contender for president. You have ran your own life reckessly and now you want to pretend you have all the answer. You are such a loser trying to make someone else look bad so you can make your own rotten self look good. It will take a whole lot more than trying to degrade President Obama to make you look good. How about a new rug piece to put on top of that thing you call a head and oh by the way if you didn't have that filthy money you would be lonely, fat, old white dude because the women you pull only want you for the money!

March 31, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |