Who says birthers aren't still a campaign issue? Buy the t-shirt
May 18th, 2011

Who says birthers aren't still a campaign issue? Buy the t-shirt

(CNN) – Just when you thought the so-called "birther" controversy had trailed off, the president's re-election campaign is stoking the fire.

The campaign sent an email to supporters Wednesday selling t-shirts and mugs with a picture of President Obama above the words "Made in the USA" and a copy of his birth certificate.

"There's really no way to make this stuff completely go away. The only thing we can do is laugh at it – and make sure as many people as possible are in on the joke," the email from Deputy Campaign Manager Julianna Smoot said. "Last year, the President said, 'I can't spend all of my time with my birth certificate plastered on my forehead.' This is about as close as we can get."

Obama, who released his certificate of live birth during the 2008 presidential campaign, produced the long-form version of the certificate last month after the issue became a topic of national conversation, partially prompted by real estate mogul Donald Trump, who raised the issue while exploring a run for president.

According to the email, the campaign reaction was in response to a book, "Where's the Birth Certificate" set to release later this week.

Filed under: 2012 • Birthers • President Obama
  1. Thomas

I'll make sure to send one to Donald Trump for his birthday.

May 18, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Cedar Rapids

'the campaign reaction was in response to a book, "Where's the Birth Certificate" set to release later this week.'
    Wow, they just won't go away will they?

May 18, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. tstorm

Conservatives go after the little things because they have no answers for the big things. That's why they have no viable candidate to run for president and virtually everyone of their newly elected state governors is under recall!

May 18, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. davy crockett

Hero worship of a president??? wtf

May 18, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Norm

Hahaha...for as ignorant and bitter some of these conservative inbreds are towards our president, I'm happy to see he can still keep a good sense of humor about the whole thing.

May 18, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. mike

This is great our president has every right to be proud for who he is and were he was born and stop caving in to the racist scum bags, there is no place for people like them because they can never contribute to society in a fair manner

May 18, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. Marc in NYC

The issue isn't where Obama is made, it is where these T-shirts are made. I sure hope they had the sense to use T-shirts made in the U.S.A. (if there are any!)

May 18, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. cf

Excellent! I've never contributed to a campaign before, but for a shirt like this I may have to!
    Now, if only they'd put one of those Bin Laden image macros ("Sorry it took me so long to get you my birth certificate, I was too busy killing Osama Bin Laden" or "Here's my birth certificate. Here's Osama bin Laden. Anything else I can get you?") on a shirt, then they'd really have something!

May 18, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. Alyssa

I think that's an awesome t-shirt.

May 18, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. Read This

I want to thank Donald Trump. I don't know if I'm alone in thinking this but to me it seems like he intended to raise (and crush) this whole Birther nonsense well before the election of 2012 so it can't be an issue for Mr. Obama in 2012 and the goal was always to help Obama from the beginning. I think the whole purpose was to cause it to look absurd and get it so much attention that even potential Republican presidential candidates have to say Obama was born it the US. And to raise it such a degree that people get sick of the issue.

Thank you Mr. Trump from the bottom of my heart.

Obama Biden 2012 and Infinity

May 18, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. jerome

"...produced the long-form version of the certificate last month..."

Correction. "...produced A long-form version of the certificate last month..."

May 18, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. Melvin

I love it!! Obama 2012, and Mrs. Obama 2016. Yes, Yes, I just love it!!!!

May 18, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. DaveUSA

Too bad the shirt is made in China because Comrade Obama keeps borrowing money from them so they own everything now.

May 18, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. Jerry

Pure genius. Man, I love our President.

May 18, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. American

LOL, classic! I want one.

Our American president sure has a great sense of humor. Love it!

May 18, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. K3Citizen

On the back, they should have added the words, "Where's The Donald's tax returns?"

May 18, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. Bill Whittaker

Sure hope the shirt is "Made in the USA'. Would be a terrible faux
    pas for folks to get a "Made in China or Sri Lanka" tee.

May 18, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  18. dailyWTF

Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity et al have some small doubt still. Small!!

May 18, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Toyin Isijola

Just donated. I'll be rocking that to the next tea party meeting in Georgia.

May 18, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. Rsprings

It's a joke like his administration

May 18, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. Lolo

Looks like the book needs to be shelved. These crazy tea partiers are just upset because the door has been opened for other people who are born in America but do not look like white America. They might as well sit back and enjoy the rest of his term. President Obama is not going anywhere until the real Americans say so, with or without their racist votes. That's all folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. BostonMWS

I'm goin all out Obama fashion this election. I have a my birth certificate t-shirt, college records baseball cap, marriage license jeans (hand-stiched across both buttocks), and my pro-Obamacare Keds. 2012 is going to be smashing!

May 18, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  23. Angus001

What's new? Obama has always stoked and miked the birther issue for his gain.

May 18, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. The Other Campaign Strategist @ 115th and Amsterdam Ave.

Smart to subtlely remind reasonable moderate Republicans, Independents & Democrats just how childish and simple the GOP has become. Party leaders have allowed it to be branded as the Party of No and as a home for less than serious-minded candidates [Exhibit A: Trump, Exhibit B: Palin, Exhibits C & D: Bachmann & Santorium].

May 18, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  25. bluedogboy

That t-shirt has been photoshopped. Its a fraud.

May 18, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |