Who says birthers aren't still a campaign issue? Buy the t-shirt
May 18th, 2011

Who says birthers aren't still a campaign issue? Buy the t-shirt

(CNN) – Just when you thought the so-called "birther" controversy had trailed off, the president's re-election campaign is stoking the fire.

The campaign sent an email to supporters Wednesday selling t-shirts and mugs with a picture of President Obama above the words "Made in the USA" and a copy of his birth certificate.

"There's really no way to make this stuff completely go away. The only thing we can do is laugh at it – and make sure as many people as possible are in on the joke," the email from Deputy Campaign Manager Julianna Smoot said. "Last year, the President said, 'I can't spend all of my time with my birth certificate plastered on my forehead.' This is about as close as we can get."

Obama, who released his certificate of live birth during the 2008 presidential campaign, produced the long-form version of the certificate last month after the issue became a topic of national conversation, partially prompted by real estate mogul Donald Trump, who raised the issue while exploring a run for president.

According to the email, the campaign reaction was in response to a book, "Where's the Birth Certificate" set to release later this week.

Filed under: 2012 • Birthers • President Obama
  1. Beverly

These hateful anti-Obama doers will stop at nothing. Keep in mind people, a hater has no boundaries. Today, they may hate Obama, tomorrow they may hate their mammas. Next week haters will invite other drama. There is never an end.

May 18, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. MiDon

Repuns sporting their bigatory...... once they prove they lie incessantly.

May 18, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. TRUTH

Hilarious! I'm gettin' one 🙂

May 18, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. Steve (the real one) in Arizona

Why are birthers afraid of their own shadows? Because they're black.

May 18, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. Larry

I Love It !!! Definitely going to buy one. LOL.

May 18, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. KAJD

I want one! where do I line UP?

May 18, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  7. Charlie from the North

Cue Bruce Springstein "Born ith e USA he was born in the USA yeah baby. Those idiotis brought it up I think it is fair play to make fun of them.

Especially Trump who should have known better. I mean don't you think Karl Rove would have dug it up if Obama were not born here?

May 18, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Does this mean we can now get a t-shirt with THE Donald's picture on one side and his 1040 on the other?

May 18, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. WB

good one! there are mugs too!

May 18, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

Only in America. This is bad business in my book. It will ultimately backfire and blow up in their faces.

May 18, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  11. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country (the real deal)

This is awesome! Obama/Biden 2012

May 18, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. nugy

you can bet the tee shirt is made in china

May 18, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  13. Pallin2112

I want one. Do they ship to Alaska?

May 18, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. hahah

i want one of these.

May 18, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  15. Ptown

got mine!

May 18, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  16. The Greedy Old Pigs are stuck on stupid!

Another t-shirt I'd like to see:

Bush lied; soldiers died.
    Obama led; Osama's dead.

May 18, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. detada

Hmmm....after years of taking heat about his birth certificate, why shouldn't he campaign on the issue?

May 18, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. ygbfsm

Good milkers milk it good... whether sideline or mainstream. PT Barnum said the show must go on, so milk it baby, milk it good.

May 18, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. ROTFLMAO!

Love it! Ordered 5 today!

May 18, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. hilarious

Love it. If you aren't laughing, you are a communist.

May 18, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

This is funny! It has come full circle from hurting Obama to becoming a joke used by him to fund raise.

May 18, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. ja

it turns out the same racist americans, never questioned wmds, we have folk that float with whale manure and that element will always manifest in some form, it manifested during the the clinton administration, the socalled moral majority dogged clinton

May 18, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  23. jcg

But is the shirt made in USA or in China?

May 18, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. Hillary

Quite frankly, I still doubt its authenticity. After all, money talks and can pretty much buy anything. Especially with George Sorros as Obummer's biggest benefactor. The sudden appearance still does not explain why he spent a fortune to keep it under wraps in the first place.

I like the t-shirt I saw that said: 2012 – The End Of An Error.

I

May 18, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  25. C. Howe Yulikit

I'm certain that the right wing tea baggers will get their panties in a bunch about how the President is being disrespectful of their "legitimate" questions regarding the place of his birth. This is because they are complete and total think skinned morons.

May 18, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |