Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Switters

I would contribute to a Palin 'third-party' run.....

B.H.O.

July 11, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. Alex

You know it's hilarious when a conservative film maker makes a film about the LOSING 2008 VP Candidate and calls it "Undefeated" hahaha

Please run Mrs. Palin, we need more comedy in politics, Bachmann can't do it alone! We want to see a debate between you and Bachmann and your revisionist version of American history.

July 11, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. Jesse

Please, please, please run for President Mrs. Palin. I think the campaign experience that America can hardly wait to see you endure will be therapeutic for you. Also, I think this experience will finally humble you, and silence.
    Did I forget to say please???

July 11, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. herpderples

LOL. That picture screams "derp"!

July 11, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. fred

She better hope the voters want her, 'cause the republicans and teabag nation don't.

July 11, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. Murf

See Sarah. See Sarah run. Run Sarah run.

July 11, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. scott

win what??? the apprentise? hells kitchen? american idol???? dwts?? the presidentcy, u are kidding right???? she couldn't win even if she were running against dick cheyney karl rove...sarah, it is time, submit yourself to the betty ford clinic.

July 11, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Borneo Wildman

It may not look like it now but Palin could win.
    Too many fence sitters, too many Sarah fanatics and not enough registered voters with the common sense to vote against her.
    If you're not registered... go out and register.
    My fear is that Sarah; the darling of the conservative idiocracy, if elected, will do for America what Adolph Hiler did for Germany.

July 11, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. Name

Funny thing. I had a dream that Sarah and I kissed last night. What up w that?

July 11, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  10. Dr. J

oh no! is the media moving on? better throw in another tantalizing (to some) comment and cling to relevancy! GOP Crazython 2012 is crazy enough as it is without her peculiar brand of lunacy. furthermore saying one is undecided constantly doesn't have the indications of a leader...leaders make decisions.

July 11, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  11. mcp123

How much longer do we have to put up with this womans delusions?

Please stop.

July 11, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. jon

The only thing you can win Sarah, is the "Skank most out of touch with reality" award. Between your stupid comments and the homely, dumb daughter who claims she wasn't aware she was being banged, you have awakened our eys to the fact that stupid people shouldn't, breed

July 11, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  13. TiAmo

And so begins the "backing out" stage of the Palin machine. She still leaves the option open; not in case she decides to run, but so those who hope she will run keep pouring money into her coffers. As soon as the money flow slows down to a trickle, she'll announce that she can better serve the public by supporting other candidates.

July 11, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. Joe Z

She's such a schmuck that I cannot stop reading about her. I try not to click on the Palin news stories, I try! But I cannot help myself, I read everyone I get my hands on. It's a disease!

July 11, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. Dr. J

oh no, is the media moving on? better throw in another tantalizing (to some) comment and cling to relevancy! GOP Crazython 2012 is crazy enough without her particular brand of lunacy. furthermore being constantly undecided is not indicative of a leader...leaders make decisions.

July 11, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  16. C. Howe Yulikit

Hope she runs. Maybe after she loses she'll finally shut the heck up. Oh ,wait, she ALREADY LOST and that hasn't shut her up. Never mind.

July 11, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. Dan

This is the first news article I read where the title alone made me laugh.

July 11, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Maybe she could win a beauty contest, but the presidency of the United States is so far removed from her it isn't funny. I don't know how many different ways she shouldn't be president. She needs a better temperment and more education on just about everything. We don't need a female version of Dan Quayle running for president.

July 11, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  19. David Crosby

Still crazy after all these years...

July 11, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. Baziggle

PLEASE run! Put Bachmann or Jan Brewer on the ticket with you. I want to see the greatest Republican defeat of the 21st century!

July 11, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. Voiceinthewind

God talk about living in denial. What a ding bat. Please get her out of the news already. No wait, I hope she runs, that would ensure Obama'a next term. There is a silver lining to every cloud after all. But boy is she a Ding Bat.

July 11, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. val

Sarah, US Citizens that were born outside the UNITED STATES knows more about the United State history and its laws more than you. We studied the THE US Constitution and history before we could take the US CITIZENSHIP test. ONLY YOUR FELLOW AIR HEAD WILL VOTE FOR YOU.

July 11, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  23. Michael

You keep on thinking that Sarah and run. Pain/Bachmann 2012... comedy demands it!

July 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. Sortakinda

I like the comment about having her run to "save us from Satin." But not polyester.

July 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  25. Johnny Cat

Palin's biggest opponent to the Republican nomination has already declared. Michele Bachman is smarter and better looking. Not that I think Bachmann is smart. Maybe I should say Bachmann is less stupid than Palin. But for those voters who are as stupid as these two women and might possibly waste a vote on them, Bachmann has it; hands down.

July 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |