Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Aaron

*Chuckle* Whatever. You go girl...we all need a good laugh!

July 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. mangoz

God help us if she does run and win because what Matt Taibbi says about her will be true..."Palin has figured out that this is really all you have to do to win elections in this country — flatter middle Americans’ moronic fantasies about themselves.

July 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. Truthwillsetyoufree

Not a chance in hell....

July 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  4. politicalgumhockey

She, of course, isn't going to run. http://politicalgumhockey.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/why-sarah-palin-wont-run-for-president/

But hey, playing the "will she or won't she" game is what celebrities do, right.

July 11, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. mikeinsf

failed governor that quit 2 yrs early now she wants to run the country...I think it more about her and her hillbilly relatives trying to sell books and book speaking engagements.

July 11, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. twiddly

puh-leez run, Sarah, puh-leez!
    I miss Tina Fey on SNL.

July 11, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. alanwillingham

Striding onto the world stage with her shockingly forthright, dead on assessment of what the view is like in despised and avoided flyover country, Sarah Palin won the respect and admiration of patriotic Americans and the undying enmity of whiny liberals who have so finely tuned their victim mentality that even today, they sing in unison with an Acapella that so endears them to their ideologicall puppet masters

July 11, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. Batman

I don't think she gets it. For all the readers; Do you really think Sarah would know how to improve the economy? I mean really, she doesn't even know her founding fathers, in her own words, she said that her international experience was dealing with Putins migs when they show their face in her airspace. Come on really...? President? How about quitting half way thru her term!!!! Really could you imagine this as a President? Do you think she can hold an intelligent conversation with Harvard educated economists, presidents, and technology experts? Really....???? Wake up people. No one needs another Bush. Please someone tell her. She can't fly a plane, why do we want to hire her as a pilot? Come on...

July 11, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. Patty - Illinois

Sarah, run if that is your intention, but if you and a dog were running, I would vote for the dog.

July 11, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Republicans - The "Not Intended To Be Factually Accurate" Party

Sarah Palin is only in the BUSINESS of Running For President, Inc. This latest Newsweek comment is a publicity stunt for her movie.

Interesting that her propaganda film comes out at the same time as Harry Potter. I strongly suggest that theatre go'ers CHECK THEIR TICKET STUB that weekend.

If there are movie theatre employees or management that want to funnel money to Palin, they will ring up requests to see other movies as sales for the Palin film. The patrons will be admitted to Potter but the revenues would flow to accrue to Sarah P.

She can not win. She herself knows she can not win. She can however, continue to fleece America.

July 11, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. J

Funniest thing I have read all day!

July 11, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  12. Paul

Win what? A game of checkers?

July 11, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  13. popeye1128

She really is clueless.

July 11, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Cleareye

This joke is pretty stale. She couldn't even win her old job back in Wasilla.

July 11, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  15. Todd

Palin could never win the White House.She is a quiiter and a douche

July 11, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Batman

Go ahead Sarah, make it easy for Obama.

July 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  17. Frank

Palin is a loser, and only she seems to not understand it.

July 11, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  18. Okie dokie

"Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle" ok, so I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me what issue isn't the current president dealing with. At somepoint I believe there was a debate that he was taking on too much (including the tough issues). Hey, I get it. If you're a democrat, then you're suppose to be oppose to republicans and vice versa. I'm not saying this President has done everything I'm in favor for, but when I step back and look at the total package of work he's done, the tough position he's been in that no other president has ever been in, the results of his decisions, it's tough for me to say he's not willing to tackle the tough issues. I do not think that the president has made things worse. People forget he's not the only one who sets policies. I guess I'm saying, let's make sure we're all fair with our assessment (fair and politics – sounds like I'm delivering a joke) and place context on the numbers and figures the media (all of them), politicians (all of them), and friends/family/co-workers are suppling us.

July 11, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. smith288

Wow...im saddened by how so many people are against a private citizen who believes in them-self to make a change in our govt. Our govt is so rotten to the core its almost a laughing stock and here we have people mocking HER. She may not win and she may not even enter the race but so much for power to the people with the amount of uncalled for vitriol against her on here.

Also, do you people not realize that those ethics charges were meant to bankrupt her since alaskan govt doesnt defend those charges?

We aren't so dumb to think that those ginned up charges werent meant to force her from office or at least declaw her effectiveness.

July 11, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. goheelzs

When is her 15 minutes of fame over? Geez!

July 11, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  21. DumbasRocks [R]s

It is shocking to hear Palin thinks so little of the intellectual life of Americans that she feels a majority of them would vote for her.

It is also shocking to realize that about 50,000,000 Americans ARE stupid enough to vote for her!!!

July 11, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. barking alien

She needs to join Charlie Sheen on the "Winning tour". They can hit the crack pipe and share their delusional tales.

July 11, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. Steve

And she also believes she has the requisite experience in Foreign policy since she can see Russia from her house.

July 11, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  24. ed bailey

I refrain from saying shit except to point out America gave a retard 8 years at the helm of this nation. That shows how stupid someone is. I did not want bush and on the 1st day of the kings reign I said this will be the worst man to ever hold that slot and I was right. Americans are soo naïve I wouldn't put it past happening again!

July 11, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  25. chris24

she might want to take the time to learn to speak first.

July 11, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |