Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Ian

If being president was all about declaring what's patriotic and what's not, speaking on behalf of the misrepresented "American people," and having nothing of any real constructive value to say, then yeah, she's got my vote.

July 11, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. shadysider

You can win what? The Republican nomination if pitted against Bachmann?

July 11, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. James

She is way too divisive to be electable, and her record shows that she is more interested in making a buck than making a difference.

July 11, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  4. RayJacksonMS

The cow isn't even going to run. Stop reporting on her. It's only helping her line her pockets.

July 11, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  5. Dan

This lady is the ultimate definition of egotistical. She does everything in her life for fame, money and attention. Nothing for the greater good. And I for one would love for her to run, and be so embarrassed to not win. But of course she would manage to blame others, such as the liberal, gotcha media when she lost. What a sad, sad person she is. And oh yea, I hate you McCain for unleashing this stupid person on the world.

July 11, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Chris

CNN- please stop covering this woman as a candidate if she's not a candidate. Our political process doesn't need the added ridiculousness of hypothetically-tentative-possible-faux-candidates.

July 11, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. WildMontana

This statement proves not only that she is dumb, but delusional.

July 11, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. obandon

The presidency is too important for on the job training so what does she consider HER training? Mayor of a small town in Alasak and quitting as governor after 2 years? HA, like she has a chance except in her mind!

July 11, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. GonzoG

I THINK the crack Ms. Palin is smoking has gone bad. Please take it away from her and give her some fresh stuff.

July 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Dave

Palin makes Jethro Clampett look smart.

July 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. delusionPolice

Win WHAT !!!!!!

July 11, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. carly

Only in her dreams can she win. But I hope she is the nominee for the Republicans. Would be a landslide for Obama.

July 11, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  13. Jack

"Can win." Uhuh. Yeah, right. (Yawn).

July 11, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  14. RobK

I'm a republican and I think Sarah Palin running would guarantee a retarded monkey could beat her in a national election.

July 11, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  15. Bart

If you can win, then get in and shut up! But you won't because you never had any intention of running anything but your mouth. Yes, you have profitted well from it, we all know.

July 11, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  16. Dave IL

Now I know she's crazy or only reads her only press reports.

July 11, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Roscoe

I can win but I'll have to quit right afterwards.

July 11, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. Neil

Sure! She can win IF SHE GOES BACK TO KINDERGARTEN, study all the way and Graduate college. NOT Alaskan or online Univ but any other US university

July 11, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. Roscoe

She eithers wants to be president, a frogman, or a double knot spy.

July 11, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. Gloria

I just cannot stand this person. She is a narcissist and dangerous. I cannot think of anything positive she has done since she was "thrown onto the national stage" in 2008.

What a pox on America she is.

July 11, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. Keith

ROFLLMAO too

Dear Sarah, just how long would you hang about in the Oval Office ? A couple of months ? How would you cope with the reduction from your current income ? How would you be able to give press conferences and place one sensible word in front of another ? . . . Really Sarah, be serious 🙂

July 11, 2011 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  22. Roscoe

Maybe she can start a third party.....the All Ignorance Party.....and get Michele Bachmann to run as her VP

July 11, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  23. tor

Oh, yes, Sarah, please run! The country is not the same without you! The media are not the same without! SNL is not the same without you!

July 11, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  24. David

Sarah, dear Sarah, making a run for the presidency does not mean "having the runs."
    That "fire in your belly" you spoke of some weeks ago is the rumblings of diarrhea, my dear, that's all.

July 11, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. livingston

snicker- snicker- snicker.Oh. Wait. She's serious? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

July 11, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |