Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. L.Testa

Sure, when pigs fly she'll have a chance to win.

July 11, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. pearl

Please. Go away. Just go away. Please.

July 11, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Jeff

Forget policies. She is simply unelectable. She is annoying and comes across as ignorant. In today's politics, these are critical flaws. There is no way she becomes president.

July 11, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. JD

What "wrong direction" is that?

Is it the economy? Are Republicans still hoping the electorate is dumb enough to forget there was a recession before 1/20/2009?

Is it the war on terror? Was killing Osama bin Laden a step in the wrong direction?

Is it social issues? Is the nation headed in the wrong direction because it is opening the doors for all its citizens to marry, or to worship the way they choose?

I would love to hear a Republican speak in something other than soundbites, but I won't hold my breath.

July 11, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. Chad in Boston

Sarah, stop being a media ham. You have overstayed your welcome. You couldn't handle being Governor of a giant ice cube in Canada, you cant handle the presidency. You can not see Russia from your house. I am a Republican, I am a Tea Party supporter and I am begging you- STAY OFF OUR SIDE.

July 11, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. Eli

Why not? With such a sick economy, rising prices, horrible employment data and sky high debt, John Edwards could even beat Barack Hussein Obama right now.

July 11, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. SandyB

Looks like she has trouble interpreting poll results.

July 11, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. Jake

just a reminder, George Bush was given the White House TWICE!

July 11, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  9. duffey

What has Sarah been smoking?

July 11, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  10. Hairball

Please run Sarah. Please run Sarah. Please run Sarah!

July 11, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. _ian_

I believe this what's called "all hat, no cattle" syndrome. Would love her to run though... for pure entertainment value, she indeed can't be beat. Not even by the "Crazy Eyes" Michelle.

July 11, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Donna

There would be a mass exodus out of America if this ever happened. Wow that is sooooo scary!

July 11, 2011 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. Annie, Atlanta

If she can run, so can a large majority of the American people, who just so happen to be way smarter. She may have that "wow factor" as far as appeal goes, but good grief, she thought Africa was a country. That is just sad, and stupid. We already did stupid. How's that working out for ya?

July 11, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. womenfly

I don't care what these libs are saying on this website... Go Sarah! No more BO... it stinks enough in the WH. Palin 2012!

July 11, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  15. damn yank

I want to run for president 2012 because even though i can't fix the country... i can win the election

July 11, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  16. Julien

I hope she runs. Please please run for president Sarah!!!!

July 11, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. Fran

Palin needs to go back to school and learn USA history and the ability to give a speech without writing the answer on the palm of her hands. She also needs to learn because she can see Russia outside her window does not mean she has international politics experience. Palin needs to shut up and read daily newspaper to educate her about what's going on. However, she will NEVER be qualified to become our president.

July 11, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. AmFem

This is too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Let's not waste any more time (or brain cells) on this subject. Please?

July 11, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. EarlGrayHot

She's a complete moron. If anyone in this country still has a lick of sense or decency, Palin will never get the nom. Hopefully, she'll be forgotten as she deserves.

July 11, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Jim

She's like an evil Forrest Gump, stupid is as stupid does!

July 11, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. Roland

She should be the GOP candidate. No one better represents the very essence of Republican leadership in America.

July 11, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. Roscoe

My neighbor wants to run for president, too. He said that Bristol is pregnant with his child right now. So, I think the fair thing to do is for Bristol to have a televised pregnancy test.....if she's preggers, Sarah drops out and lets my neighbor run in her place. If she's not, then Sarah runs. The whole thing can be on Fox news.

July 11, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. pablo

Is she hallucinating again. She is the reason McCain lost. Once he selected her, everyone doubted his judgement.

July 11, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Joshua Ludd

Translation: Please talk about me more so my movie makes more money and so I can keep on getting speaking gigs having never actually won an election to anything higher than governor, which I couldn't even finish a single term of. So, Sarah... if you didn't need the office you had to serve Alaska.. what have you done for Alaska lately, dear?

July 11, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. Mugs1763

What planet does she think she is at?

July 11, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |