Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Brandt Hardin

Palin doesn’t need to be our president. The salary isn’t enough for her and she’d just abandon the post like she did in Alaska. Do you want someone in office whose main focus isn’t on the people but on her bank account? What Sarah’s after is fame and fortune and everything that goes. See the ways she sells herself at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/06/ecstasy-of-sarah-palin_15.html I bet she even got a nice check for wearing that logo on her chest for this shoot.

July 11, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Debby

I like her, but she and Bachman are not qualified to be President. Hillary is the only one that has any qualifications for the job.

July 11, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Expat American

CNN – I think it's time to move Sarah Palin from the Political section to the Entertainment section – it is about 2.50 years overdue. From now on, Palin pseudo news belongs alongside the Kardashians and Lindsay Lohan.

July 11, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Roger

It is hard to win when you get 8% of the popular vote! She is just going for publicity....as always!

July 11, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. Jack

As a Democrat and a true patriot (not like the fair-weather Republican patriots) I say to Sarah: "On your way out, don't let the door hit ya where the dog bit ya."

July 11, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. June

Oh please thisdimwit is not running for president. She hasn't been on everyone's list of news lately so she is now trying to stir up some news. She is toodumb to win an election. Republican­s will not allow her to win. They are more afraid of her becoming president than democrats.

July 11, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. Sy2502

I almost wish she'd run, and win the Republican nomination, just for the entertainment to see her empty head go against Obama in a debate. Like his policies or not, the guy is exceptionally smart and articulate, and would demolish and embarrass her so badly that, with a bit of luck, we'd get rid of her for good.

July 11, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Richard N. Nixon

The woman is delusional and out of touch with reality. She obviously is in genuinely desperate need of professional psychiatric help. When the psychic break comes, and there is no doubt that it will, it's going to be an Alaskan-sized crash. You do not want to be any where near her when it happens. She'll take countless innocent bystanders with her; blood, guts and gore. It will not be pretty. It's only a matter of time.

July 11, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Ryan

Yeah right – what do you think she would say – ' I know I dont have a chance in heck...'? Her last paragraph sums it up perfectly as to why she is not qualified for the job. As a conservatice Republican myself, I am no Obama fan by any means but having Palin enter the race will just make it all the more easier for BO to re-elected. Please stick to cable TV shows Sarah.

July 11, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. bashaleebee

I can win too ... REALLY. And really, I know I can make the positive changes this country needs ... and I'd love the attention even from the Gotchya lame stream media, but I'm undecided yet because ... hmmm why would I not be decided yet?

July 11, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  11. Sandy

NO SHE CANNOT WIN. Yes we want leadership that has been entrusted in the past with responsibilit and that certainly is NOT Palin by any measurable means. She couldn't even finish her term as Alaska governor and she thinks I would entrust her with leading the United States of America. She is only kidding herslef.

July 11, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. hc19624real

Will someone please quit pulling the string out from her back that activates her voice!!!

July 11, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  13. TD40

The only reason she says she can win is due to her stratospherically out of control ego. That, and the mirror mirror on the wall who keeps telling her she's the fairest of all.

July 11, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. terry,va

I just love everytime the Obummie ran CNN puts an article up on Palin. It gives all the LIBERAL RETARDS a chance to show how igorant they are. The truth is that ANYONE could do a better job than Obummie. His only chance of re-election is to continue giving welfare to his sorry base that wouldn't breathe if it wasn't an automatic reaction.

July 11, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. FM

Sarah can we make a deal! Get out of the wood where you are hiding, start taking interviews like what Bachmann is doing, (not at Fox News only). Stop roaming around on a bus tour which has no meaning at all. From there may be I can consider to give you my half a vote!

July 11, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. SouthernCelt

She can win? Only in Alaska with little competition.

July 11, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. vikingslost

What do you know, CNN actually is trying to let people comment on these Sarah Palin articles. I really wish Sarah the best, but I do not think she is presidential material. The President of the United States has a huge variety of issues to deal with, all at the same time. I know Sarah can't chew gum and walk at the same time, so how on earth does Sarah think she can compete with all the Republican nominees, who ultimately will be going up against President Barack Obama in the general election?

Maybe when Sarah Palin grows up she can think about being President, of the PTA I mean.

July 11, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. Four and The Door

Four and The Door: REALLY???
    "four and the door" is one of the first person to respond on these political news articles and is always wrong. He doesn't get it... Americans rejected Sarah Palin in 2008 and he still thinks they will embrace her as a presidential candidate.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    46% of the popular vote is not quite the nationwide rejection you talk about. And then in 2010 she had a huge impact on the Democrats getting Shellacked. Face it, liberal free-borrowing and spending entitlement society has had its run. The Democrats have lost the Independents through the poor results of their rediculous partisan political programs.

2012 Sarah Palin can win. Americans already know Obama/ Biden cannot fix the economy, even if they seriously tried. But the toughest part of the 2012 election will be getting the Republican nomination. There are several excellent Republican candidates. I hope Sarah Palin will step up and be one of them.

July 11, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. peakarach

Only in her dreams.

July 11, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. Coven

She's as bad as Britney Spears running for President.

July 11, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. artrain

She still works at Faux News, so, she's not running. She continues this because, like her daughter, she needs attention.

July 11, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  22. Kevin in Atlanta

If the Republicans were crazy enough to nominate Mrs. Palin, her chances of winning her home state of Alaska, let alone the US as a whole, would be a bit of a stretch.

July 11, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  23. charlie

Quitters need not apply!!!

July 11, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. laura

Please do run sarah! We desperately need to have 4 more years of Obama.

July 11, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  25. Jason Smith

Sarah Palin, Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy, George Washington, Dwight Eisenhower, Thomas Jefferson......
    Get my point? This woman is a crazy egomaniac. John McCain should be removed from office for endangering this country with the notion that she could have become his VP or President. Country first? NO, votes first!! Maverick? NO, idiot. Patriot? Not anymore. She is a pretty celebrity and a half-term governor who should stay on Fox news for the unfair and imbalanced audience that it caters to.

July 11, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |