Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. David Cincinnati

It's incredible that Bristol has anything to do with this decision over someone who was "entrusted with real authority in the past" and who broke the trust, yet remains "so egotistical as to believe that" she has any idea how to get out of the quagmire produced by the Bush administration.

July 11, 2011 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  2. What a joke

Nice to see she is finaly setting the stage as to why she will not run besides the fact she would never win. I can't wait till this is over so she get's the hell out of the news and is exposed for the money monster she is.

Quote from the article: Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

July 11, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. David Cincinnati

It's incredible that Bristol has anything to do with this decision over someone who was "entrusted with real authority in the past" and who broke this trust.

July 11, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. Tony 140

Keep driving them crazy Sarah. Let's see – 32,000 emails and not one gotcha. Let's ask BHO for one wee's worth of his emails and see what we get.

July 11, 2011 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Smitty

She is kidding herself if she thinks she can win. The American people are too smart to elect Sarah Palin as having her elected would show complete desperation.

July 11, 2011 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. David Cincinnati

It's incredible that Bristol has anything to do with this decision regarding someone who was "entrusted with real authority in the past". Palin clearly broke the trust, and yet remains "so egotistical as to believe that" she has any idea how to get out of the quagmire produced by the Bush administration.

July 11, 2011 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  7. Mike kern

Palin will never win or be appointed by the Republican party for president ever. Her sole purpose ris to cause trouble for Obama. And she knows that.

July 11, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. SmartPotato

I hope that she runs... a guaranteed drop in the bucket for the Dems to finish cleaning up the Bush disaster.

July 11, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. David Cincinnati

It is incredible that Bristol has anything to do with this decision regarding someone who was "entrusted with real authority in the past".

July 11, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  10. Tiller In Texas

Please Sarah run your little retard self!!!!!! You get up there and show us all how smart you are!!!!!1

July 11, 2011 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. John

Sorry Sweetheart. The democrats could run a dead person, and still beat you. Not enough idiots to carry you from Alaska to Washington.

July 11, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  12. Buford Maximilian Shackleford

America: No You Can't

July 11, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. What a joke

I can win the biggest title in the U.S. and make more money than ever, but my family may not want me too. We need to do a poll of all the sheeple that follow this loser and make some critical adjustments to our country.

July 11, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  14. Len Smith

So what can she win? Some more money from stupid people who cannot see through this clown?

July 11, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. Charlotte

I have to shake my head at people like @Bassman, who actually seem to think that Sarah Palin has anything approaching presidential qualifications. And for the moron who seems to think that just because there isn't as much 'dirt' sticking to Palin as to some other politicians, that this is automatic qualification to be POTUS, well you clearly don't understand that the office requires intelligence, skills, verbal acuity, legal smarts, foreign policy understanding and generally high class education and deportment. Nobody has to "hate" Palin as you pathetically claim, in order to be smart enough to recognize that she posesses NONE of the qualities needed for this office. I don't think that Paris Hilton is qualified to be president either – but I certainly don't hate her. You people need to get your petty little brains around the idea that most people who are actually intelligent are capable of separating any possible distaste they might feel for Sarah Palin from an objective assessment of her capabilities, and we understand that she lacks the needed capabilities. If you would quit trying to pretend that stating this fact is synomymous with harboring hatred, you'd be taken a lot more seriously.

July 11, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. Lisa

I do hope she runs because Bachmann will eat her for lunch and it would make for good entertainment! :O)

July 11, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  17. ronald malaney

she has many votes I know of. a few friends I talk to hate Palin and will never vote for her. the largest number of non palin supporters I talk to after hearing me out, would give her a chance, now after the chance they gave Obama, and what he has or has not done with it. I have given 2 of her books to 4 non supporters, that changed their minds after the books, take it for what it's worth. I will vote for her or Obama only so far as I can tell in 2012, maybe someone will change my mind before then but I doubt it. go palin 2012, or 2016 if you think it would be better, she can win either year I believe.

July 11, 2011 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  18. bugbuster

Silly woman. She just blurts out anything that comes into her head. Silly and dumb like a fox, I would like to think. Of course she had no intention of running for President unless she really is crazy and goes off her meds. Dumb like a fox, I would like to think, because her real agenda is to continue with this lucrative character she has created–a parody of Tina Fey's parody–and when she slips out of the limelight for a couple of weeks, she needs to blurt out something and get some screen space to keep her name and likeness out there.

July 11, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. DumbasRocks [R]s

You're AnEnglishTeacher, and you cannot properly identify accurate descriptions merely because you are deluded enough to worship this political whore of the [R]ightwing underbelly? I pity any students you might have....if there is a problem with American education, you are certainly an example of why.

The 'left' doesn't claim to be enlightened, WE ARE. You rightwing trolls despise The Enlightenment, or so your leaders claim time and time again, by YOUR very words and actions.

I agree, "By their fruits shall ye know them..." , and we see the special brand of malignant fruit you neo-goons are trying to inflict on our country. If Sarah can win, go ahead and run her......but we will see who is chickens**t afraid of her, she won't get anywhere near the national [R] ticket, and it won't be because the [D]s didn't vote for her.

It takes a special brand of Teatard to root for the downfall of our country....congratulations for being so very special.

July 11, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  20. sum1comn

You couldn't win a happy meal!

July 11, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  21. Anonymous

I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate.

July 11, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  22. theodrik1

I believe there's an "h" and an "e" missing from the last word in her statement.

July 11, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  23. notags

The only way Palin could become President is if everyone in America's IQ's suddenly dropped to room temperature.

July 11, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  24. Cynthia

So she's going on "Dancing With The Stars" as well?

July 11, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. I needed a laugh

Thank you Sarah Palin for taking up comedy. I'm glad you are a better joke teller then politician.

July 11, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |