Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. James

If she was ever to become your President, well, God help you all. You may want to pack up and head North to Canada.

July 11, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. Mark

As a republican that comes from a family of all republicans, I can tell you that I am not a fan of Obama, but there is no way on earth that I would vote for Sarah Palin in the general election. If she runs, she will lose it for the Republican party.

July 11, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. Apeman

Four and the door, you really don't have a clue do you?

July 11, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. Shiloh

The day that Sarah Palin win the Presidential election, then I would question the mentality of the people of the United States. Hopefully, people will use their everyday common sense and vote for someone with merit. She is NOT Presidential material and the only thing she has going for is having the press draw attention to her. Unfortunately, the media loves her hype (I sure as hell don't) because she makes the news.

If I were a journalist, I definitely would pay attention to news that are worth writing about and give this woman the backseat. Give credit to the GOP for picking her out as McCain's partner. Now, doesn't that tell you something about the Republicans?

July 11, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. MB Seattle

Palin can not win. She does not have the backing of her party. End of report. I doubt any other GOPer would have her on the ticket in the number two spot. Thats is what 4 years of exposure has done to her.

July 11, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Rlg

Sorry Sarah; you're the ONLY one that thinks you can win.

July 11, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. Tan Huynh

Sure I can win as well after I deluded myself and once I have deluded myself then anything is possible.

July 11, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Ask Why

CNN and ALL media should cease mentioning ANYTHING about ANY of the Palins until Sarah states whether she is going to run or not.

July 11, 2011 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Put your money where your mouth is and RUN SARAH RUN!!!

July 11, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. PMathew

Politics aside, Palin's biggest albatross will be the fact that she quit halfway through her tenure as gov of Alaska. Even if you ignore her incorrect statements regarding history/geography/you-name-it, this alone will hurt her chances of even getting the GOP nomination. Add in the fact her very public fued with Levi, her failed reality show, and the fact that she is STILL undecided about running for President...all of this is detrimental to her hypothetical candidacy.

July 11, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. sparky

well seems over half the country is retarded... maybe she has a chance

July 11, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Becca

ROFLMAO! @ Sarah Palin. I do not think she could win free ride on a POLAR Bear let a lone a presidential Election!
    I just do not know what is wrong with this woman. I do know one thing for sure if she would happen to win if there were enough dumb people in America to vote her in to the office of President of the U.S. then I am leaving this country for sure! I think she just needs to stay up there in Alaska with all the bears. Besides what ever happen to she quite her job as she did not want to sit in some stuffy office any more it just was not for her? SO hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm why the big interest in sitting in the office of the white houe? Oh she is so full of CHit!

July 11, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. Anonymous

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate."

But Sarah! You're renowned for avoiding interviews and debate!

And despite believing you could win the 2012 election, "Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's 'gotta be in it with you.'" So you put your family's welfare before the welfare of every other American family? Good to know. If your family'd been situated in Mississippi and had slaves working for them, its nice to know what side you'd have fought on during the Civil War.

C'mon Sarah. How many books do you have to sell before you've lined your pockets enough to JUST. GO. AWAY.

July 11, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. Craig from Pa.

HA HA HA HA HA.....strong kool aid here!!!

July 11, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  15. Jeepers

Hey, if Casey Anthony can "win," and jury pools are often pulled from registered voter lists, we probably shouldn't underestimate Sarah Palin's chances.

July 11, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  16. Joe Plum

What has 2 thumbs and wants to stay in the media spotlight to make some money? This girl right here!!!

July 11, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. Max

Sarah must run. We need someone like her as our leader. She will keep us in war, not raise taxes, stop abortion, stop gays from marrying, find jobs, lower the price of gas, get rid of medicare, stop social security. Shall I go on? Now, if you have to be an idiot to see why she would not make an excellent president. I only wish the election were two days later. This way my kid can vote for her.

July 11, 2011 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  18. Fluffy

One positive change that America needs is for Sarah to go back to Wasilla and spend her days shooting wildlife from a helicopter. I'm kidding actually. I don't want her shooting wildlife from a helicopter.

July 11, 2011 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. Jaynicia

I don't think the job pays enough for her to really want it...

July 11, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  20. Kevin

Does she still not realzie that she is the biggest joke in the USA and maybe the world?

July 11, 2011 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  21. IVOTE

It's time for her to stop playing around and declare she is going to run. Once and for all the country will show her how it really feels about her as a potential president, but,I think she is afraid to find out.

July 11, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  22. IVOTE

Jeepers.....You make a good point.

July 11, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. Tam

Bill, there are so many comments because she is so bizarrely entertaining, not because she is being taken seriously. A total human disaster.

July 11, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  24. Pat

I wonder if McCain realizes exactly what he unleashed on the world three years ago when he picked palin...

July 11, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  25. DumbasRocks [R]s

ronald malaney: I'm so very sad to hear that your genetic deformity was passed on to 4 of your 13 kids, and that your mother apparently passed it on to you.

It is one thing to have a debilitating disease; its quite another to go around bragging about it, especially when you wield it in a manner which burdens all of us. You would appear to be the poster-child for not allowing stupid people to procreate.

July 11, 2011 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |