Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Annie

Of course she does! If the only people she associates with, and takes interviews from are those who adore her and support her – why would she think anything else?

July 11, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. the_dude

We elected George Bush and then followed that up with Obama. How could we do any worse?

July 11, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  3. LiLa

No, Sarah, we don't need more candidates; we need quality candidates. And you're not it.

July 11, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. Tim

This dingbat couldn't win a game of jacks.

July 11, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. deb

Palin: "I can win." AT WHAT......CANDYLAND!?!?!?

July 11, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. OU812IC

Pure 100% unadulterated Narcissism at it's best

July 11, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. geckopelli

Some go east
    Some go west,
    But Sarah belongs
    In the coo-coo's nest.

July 11, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  8. ABM

She can win first prize for leaving her constituents for $$$ and media attention. She is not serious about being a leader or President for that matter. It's all about her ego and stardom. Being Presidet is much more than that and our current President has proven to be a good leader (don't care what the critics cry about each day). We are in a much better position today than 3 years ago. I will NEVER vote for her – even if I am offered $100B.

July 11, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Aaron

Any sane American is simply desperate for her and her dysfunctional family to go back to the wilds of Alaska and never be heard from again.

July 11, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. vwman

I am so sick of this woman! Will she and her family ever go away and leave us alone.

July 11, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. martin

I can throw a no-hitter in the 7th game of the World Series, but I haven't decide yet if I want to. Not that I'm being egotistical or anything.

July 11, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  12. suesmilikis

This woman is a legend in her own mind–a pathetic woman fueled by money and greed–shame on a party that would support her–we, as Americans, can and must do better than this!!!!!!!

July 11, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  13. pflatman

Maybe the chili cook-off at the traveling circus that passes through Wasilla. You go, bimbo!

July 11, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  14. OKTOGO77

@Sandra: I agree with you, except for the part about Sarah being smart. She's not smart...she's just good at spouting a few "catchphrases" (which have absolutely no substance, by the way), and a few deluded souls who she has actually managed to fool with her false "Christian" lifestyle believe every word she says.

July 11, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  15. Har D. Har-Har

All Mizz Sara can win is the "Thumbs Up" award, for bizarrely inappropriate hand gestures.

She can put it on the wall next to the "Eye Wink" award from the North American Facial Tick Association.

But, win election to the USA Presidency? No way, Mizz Sara, My Little Cup Cake.

July 11, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. OKTOGO77

@America Shrugged: Oh, yes, we do know what she was up to in Alaska. Just read "The Lies of Sarah Palin" by Geoffrey Dunn or "Blind Allegiance" by Frank Bailey. You'll get a very good idea what she was doing, and it wasn't governing for the people of Alaska...

July 11, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  17. makpackman

"Real leadership requires deeds even more than words (which I am making a lot of $$ doing). It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle (which is why I quit as Governor of Alaska).

July 11, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  18. ROLYAT

Remember one thing, she walked away from her job and from the people of Alaska for the almighty dollar. The people of Alaska dislike her. She is a constant reminder for me to take my children to Disney. Cause everytime I see her, I think of Goofy.

July 11, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  19. George

She couldn't win a turkey shoot

July 11, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  20. Pat in IL

Sarah Palin is a joke. She isn't running, and should just shut up. I think she says she hasn't made up her mind yet because she wants to stay in the news. Donald Trump at least knew that he didn't have the backing to run without wasting a lot of peoples' time and money and declared early on that he would not run. Sarah should do the same.

July 11, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  21. Scott

She has better odds winning the Powerball than winning another election... Even an election for class president....

July 11, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. Pam old white lady middle America

BARF, she gives politics a bad name....she has not done anything that would qualify her for this. What planet does she live on that in her mind she is qualified?

July 11, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. DC from NJ

Sure you can Sarah, and I'm the ruler of the universe.....

July 11, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. Pam old white lady middle America

P.S. Note to Sister Sarah, a wink and a smile are NOT qualifications for the job.
    Get a clue!

July 11, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  25. Mary

I have just had about enough of this narcissistic hypocrite. She is a joke. If she does run , I hope her fellow GOPers remember how she didnt put in any groundwork or debate like the other candidates. Most of them dont thrill me but they have been out there stumping, working to gain cash to run. How dare she think she can just stroll into this with no groundwork. Ms Bachmann should be livid

July 11, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |