Palin: I can win
July 11th, 2011

Palin: I can win

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she can win a national election, but has yet to decide if she will take on President Obama in 2012.

"The people of America are desperate for positive change, and deserving of positive change, to get us off this wrong track," Palin said in an interview published in Newsweek Sunday. "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe I can win."

The former Alaska governor said there needs to be a larger field of candidates in the race for the White House, and she welcomes discussion about her and other undeclared candidates like Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Chris Christie of New Jersey.

"Thank goodness the field is not yet set. I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field," Palin said. "There's still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions."

Palin, who is still considering a bid for president, said she would not run if faced with opposition from her family, who's "gotta be in it with you."

But she won't receive push-back form her eldest daughter, Bristol.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

The article comes as "The Undefeated," a favorable film by conservative filmmaker Steve Bannon, is set to release in select cities on July 15 and nationwide the following week.

Palin, who has become a national voice since stepping down as Alaska's governor following the 2008 election, chastised the president over the debt ceiling negotiations. The former 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate said the country needs "strong chief executives."

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments," Palin wrote on her Facebook page. "Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle."

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Joe E.

We ain't THAT desperate that we'd let YOU anywhere near 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC!

July 11, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  2. maine liberal

@bob in pa ... LOL – you people are so scared of this woman.

keep that warm cozy feeling alive bob lmao

the headline should be Palin: i can whine
    "I'm not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around."
    Past ego comment:
    If there's nobody else to do it, then of course, I believe we should so this," she told Entertainment Tonight

Than it becomes about her:
    But I do believe I can win." count the I's

July 11, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  3. Bible Clown

That's the dumbest thing the quitter ever half-said.

July 11, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. Garymd

And like she has all this experience running a big government – Alaska has one of the smaller populations in the country. You govern the people, not Mother Nature and the ground associated with it.
    One thing I do like about Sarah Palin, each time she speaks I can clearly hear why I would never vote for this pretender. Also, quitting in the middle of her term as Governor says a lot about handling the stress of governing. Somewhere, in Alaska, a village has lost its idiot. Go home Sarah, America can't afford an even worse version of George W. Bush.

July 11, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  5. Richard Ryder

She can win "fool of the year" contest, the "idiot of the century" festival..but president? Get real! She sees her name being tossed away with the likes of the other moron, Bachmann...and she craves the limelight, so she says something silly like this. And her daughter...puh leaze...for a 20 year old she looks 40, that is one ugly girl...does she pump her head up to look so big?? Who cares what either of them think or do?

July 11, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. Susan - Canada

I will NEVER vote for her – even if I am offered $100B.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

I would, if promised that kind of money...and then leave the U.S. (were I an American citizen, that is, which thankfully I am not).

July 11, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  7. Reggie from LA

The ULTIMATE on-the-job trainee. Didn't have international exposure so they dunked her feet into Israel and a couple of stops who humored her lightweight visits, or who didn't even know she there. Did not spend much time in major metros (probably because most of the "real Americans weren't there). I'd call her having been elected as putting her thru a learning curve the likes of which she would be unfamiliar. Like she would have just been given a new toy to gloat over.

July 11, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  8. teresa, sno-Hio

well, Sarah, if you COULD win, why didnt you win way back when? you will never win anything political again. And I actually like you, but.... I'm being realistic

July 11, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. jellylee2020

Depends on what you run for Palin dearest. You win hands down for the most disillusioned woman of the century.

July 11, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. Shelby

sarah, even if you had the intelligence to be the leader of our great nation, you still have the major hurdle of what it is that you are hiding in your medial records. During your failed run for VP, you told NBC’s Brian Williams that there is something controversial in your medical records. Even though you called yourself an open book in that interview, you got testy with Williams when he persisted in asking if you’d release your records. You never did. Instead you released only a letter from your doctor.

Repubs are not going to risk nominating someone like you with so many skeletons rattling around in their closet. They want to beat Obama and October surprises right before elections have been known to cause the loss of an election for the dinged party. So go away and stop looking ridiculous as though you are presidential material and could win. You CAN’T. Period.

July 11, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  11. GeorgeBos95

"The office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training."
    Well, we agree on one thing, Sarah. You haven't had the "training" to run for School Committee (you resigned as Governor, remember?) We already know you can't run a state, let a lone a country.

"It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments".
    Shoes you can't fill, and a track record you don't have.

Again, you keep making the case why YOU won't be running. I thank you for that.

July 11, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  12. bobden

She is not a national voice. She is a national noise.
    A tiresome, annoying noise.

July 11, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  13. ks

two words- FORMER and QUIT your own state doesn't even like you.

July 11, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  14. The Other Michael in Houston

No Sarah, you will not even win the nomination, let along a general election. But I guess when you need some attention, throw anything out there, I guess any attention is better than none. And would you people quit with your "we are scared of Palin". No we are not. We laugh at her and all of her supporters. We know she could not win, even if she promised a million dollors to each and every American who voted for her. Oh and I like the new name, Four More years and the Door", sounds more realistic. By they way Four More Years and the Door, what happen to all those jobs that you guys promised in 2010?

July 11, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Tulsa Dem

I miss Bill Clinton...... 😦

July 11, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. Common Sense

Oh, you mean like quitting your job when the going gets tough? That kind of track record? Idiot.

July 11, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. craig

"But I do believe I can win." And little kids believe in the tooth fairy too. 'bout the same odds.

If you think we have problems now, or had problems under Bush, God help us if this women were elected. She would, however, ensure that no Republican would ever be elected again.

July 11, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. Doug in NYC

Lets she, she came in second in a beauty pagent, 2nd in the run for VP of the US, she quit her job 1/2 through her term.....a lot of 2's there. Yup, she's a number 2 all right.

July 11, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  19. GSMITH

Yes, she can win. She is the most qualified and experience person to fix this Country from Obama Disaster Economics. Sarah Palin for President in 2012. I am probably the smartest person on this board today.

July 11, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  20. Smarter Human

Just what I want – a completely delusional President.

July 11, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  21. Brian

Speaking as an independent, I wish republican women with real credentials would stand up and say enough is enough with the media's focus on Ms Palin. She is a buffoon and does a disservice to the many intelligent women who represent the republican party.
    BTW – this is not a defense of the current reps of republican party in Congress who have their heads stuck so far up the butts of their lobbyists and weatlhy backers that they will sacrifice the American people for political gain, which I hope thoughtful Americans will see in the next election.

July 11, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  22. Let's face it ...

... if by some miracle she was able to get on the Republican ticket anyone centrist will be driven to the left. Its not the right wing or the left wing that wins elections, its the center and she has no hope of attracting them/me.

July 11, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. Tex71

It is hard to see how the GOP could field Palin for POTUS and survive as a viable political party. It would be a godsend (in every possible sense of the word) if she were to be the Republican candidate in 2012.

July 11, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Mike

No, Sarah. You can't.

July 11, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. MakeThemEatCake

Book sales, speaking engagement invitations, coverage on what she defines as the lame stream media, or invitations from Fox to sit in on a round table discussion of declared GOP candiates must be down. Those are the times when she sends out the "I'm still considering a run for President" press release. If her family needs to be behind her before she will commit, how many times has she sat down and talked to them about this? If they have said yes to her running then why the drawn out drama? If they have said no to her running, again, why the drawn out drama? If they are indifferent, then the decision is really her's and her's alone and, again, why the drawn out drama? She HAS read the poll numbers and knows she cannot get on a primary ballot let alone win enough state primaries to be a force at a convention. President Obama was not the front runner until behind the scene democrat leadership got all giddy about the first minority president and decided he was the one. Palin is not the front runner and won't be unless behind the scene republican leadership gets all giddy about the first female president and feels she is the one.

July 11, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |