Bachmann: Debt impasse is not an emergency
July 28th, 2011

Bachmann: Debt impasse is not an emergency

Washington (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann again brushed off warnings from leaders in both parties that the country would face disastrous economic consequences if the government fails to raise the debt ceiling by next Tuesday.

"I do not believe for one moment that we will lose the full faith and credit of the United States," Bachmann said Thursday during a question-and-answer session at the National Press Club in Washington.

Bachmann, a House member from Minnesota, has been a staunch opponent of the debt ceiling hike for months, saying the move poses no threat to the markets or to the American public and would only give President Barack Obama license to increase government spending.

She said she plans to vote against the latest proposal from House Speaker John Boehner that would raise the debt limit and reduce the deficit. That vote is scheduled for late Thursday, but with Republican members divided on the Boehner plan, its fate remains uncertain.

Bachmann was asked whether there is ever an appropriate level of debt for the government to carry.

"There may be times when we do need to increase the debt, particularly in emergencies, but this is not the situation we are in right now," she answered, saying the current debt impasse is simply the result of "bad policies" coming from the Obama administration.

She said the president employed "scare tactics" during his address to the nation on Monday evening to pressure Americans into giving him more spending power.

Though Bachmann's appearance at the press club was pegged to the debt debate, she was questioned late in the program about her Christian faith and whether she finds it difficult to square her personal beliefs with her role as public servant.

"I don't find it difficult to reconcile with my faith," she said. "As President of the United States I will pray every day and ask for the Lord to give me guidance as president. And even more so, I want you to know that I will be praying for every one of you, too, every day."

Bachmann was also asked where she gets her news and what she reads. She said she is addicted to her iPad and often frequents left-leaning news organizations to get a different perspective from her own, naming MSNBC, The Huffington Post and The Daily Beast as examples.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Mike in KC

Clueless....this should bode well for her election chances. This idiotic statement is a gem.

July 28, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. creole

Stupid stupid stupid women

July 28, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. No Way!

"I do not believe for one moment that we will lose the full faith and credit of the United States," -Michelle Bachmann

When someone uses the term "I do not believe", it tells me they are not sure. Don't play politics with our economy Rep Bachmann!!!!

July 28, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Aaron

So, let's all take the word of the woman who retain any knowledge for more than 5 minutes and runs clinics that convert gays to straights over the pleas of economists and financial experts. It's the Fox News way and so many Americans fall for it that stupidity has become the American way.

July 28, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. roscoe

Maybe the solution is to get the Bachmann clinic involved and have them pray away the debt. Or, it might be easier to pray away Michele's stupidity. I wonder what she'll say if the government can't pay her medicaide or farm subsidy handouts. That will probably make it an emergency for her.

July 28, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. A Kickin' Donkey

It has come to my attention that you Ms. Bachmann, have a Fannie Mae mortgage. On August 1, I would like you to look at your mortgage statement and ONLY pay the INTEREST portion of your mortgage bill.

You say you that the United States won't be in default if we just pay the interest. Please put your credit rating where your mouth is. According to your logic for the country, this shouldn't be a problem.

July 28, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. Russ

And why would anyone listen to this moron? It is easy to say that when, yes the debt ceiling crisis won't directly affect you for some time because you have the means to weather the storm. What about the rest of us that you want to take down with your pig headed stubbornness? For some one who is supposed to be so smart, you're not very bright, Ms. Bachmann.

July 28, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. Wes B.

Kudos for her answering that "gotcha question" of what she reads.

July 28, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. Sid Prejean

Please, tell me that her answer was taken out of context.
    Once again, Congresswoman Bachmann reminds us that she doesn't have a clue about the US Constitution.
    The Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Consitution doesn't have anything to do with debts (national or otherwise), credit cards (hers or mine), or anything financial. It relates to the duties that individual states have to recognize the laws and public acts of other states. You know, like if a couple is legally married in New York, they are still legally married when they move to Minnesota.
    "Full Faith and Credit" doesn't sound so hot to you now, does it Michelle?

July 28, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. 'merica ruined by rethugs

More proof that she's just not up to task. She's becoming unhinged more and more each day. It will be interesting when the GOP establishment really goes after her during the primary season.

July 28, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  11. Tulsa

Defaulting on debts we have already agreed to pay is the height of fiscal responsibility. Moron.

July 28, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. Bill

Hey Bimbo, guess what? Even if they pass something, we face a downgrade because of all this bickering
    and indecision on the Hill and the uncertainty it has created in the markets. This woman is beyond clueless.

July 28, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. Wes B.

She states that "there may be times when we do need to increase the debt, particularly in emergencies." But I don't believe a balanced budget allows for those things. A balanced budget means that "if it ain't in the budget, then we can't afford it."

Also, it's good to get her on record that she's clueless on this debt ceiling issue. Even her own party mostly recognizes that this is a serious issue. Yet she thinks it's no big deal at all.

July 28, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. Anonymous

All that praying isn't going to make Marcus straight.

July 28, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. wayne

Ms Bachmann; Yes,sweetie, there IS an emergency. In anticipation of the emergency and because of nutcases like you, my IRA has lost $60,000 in the past 10 days, something I simply cannot pray away. Unless you have him bring his checkbook, I suggest you leave "the Lord" out of this and get yourself away from the tea party freaks who are out to ruin this country because of their simplistic ignorance!!

July 28, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. Charles Zuckerman

How exactly can we maintain full faith and credit if we don't pay our bills as agreed. We may not default, but will only be able to do so by not making payments to others (employees, benefit recipeints, vendors, military personel) to whom we have already made commitments. I may choose to pay my mortgage over my energy bill but my credit rating will suffer either way.

July 28, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Kwesoe

I listened to Bachmann's speech and was surprised when she invoked the name of Reagan as a fiscal conservative. I'm not sure she shared an accurate view of Reagan's economic policy, which even his vice president, George H. W. Bush described as voodoo economics. So I walked away saying to myself, this woman is not an original thinker. She accuses Obama of having no plan, but she herself does not offer any plan of her own. The only president who left a budget surplus in recent US history was Bill Clinton and he was a democrat. I wonder, does one have to be president before they can help fix the economy? Do our military personnel have to be president before they can defend our country? Why do these people want political power before they can help their fellow americans?

July 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. avengeme86

Yup,tell that to John Wayne!!!!

July 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. Oregon

What world are you living in Bachmann?

July 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. sonny chapman

Two things have emerged from this Debt Ceiling fiasco: The Tea Partiers are as goofy as their hats & Michelle Bachmann ain't gonna be Prez.

July 28, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  21. TomInRochNY

Mind you, if Tuesday rolls around and the world goes bonkers will she say God made her do it? Or, take full responsibility for her actions? I just can't wait to see.

July 28, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Sniffit

Hey, Dingbat, when it says "full faith and credit" it's not atlking about "faith" like "faith" in God or Jesus or that your husband is actually straight. This isn't about believing in something without proof. It's about continuning to provide actual proof that we will meet our debt obligations and avoiding giving the rest of the world and the world economy proof that we cannot be trusted to meet our debt obligations. There's no wishy-washy-ness about it. If we fail to raise the debt ceiling, suffer a downgraded credit rating and/or actually default on our debts, we have, BY DEFINITION, compromised the "full faith and credit" of the USA. PERIOD.

July 28, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  23. vic , nashville ,tn

“Would only give President Barack Obama license to increase government spending”

They need money to pay the old bills

July 28, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  24. DA

Hummm is she serious? I mean do she not think if the US defaults on it debt it will not hurt us? Okay, so let see here as a consumer, I have credit cards ie..debt that I default on, so you know what happens to my credit rating, it tanks...ie same as if US do it, our rating tanks!!! get a clue lady and stop playing to your teabanger supporters!!

July 28, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  25. seriously???

So basically, it won't be Bachmann in 2012.

July 28, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |