Cain: 'Factions' are out to get me
November 2nd, 2011

Cain: 'Factions' are out to get me

(CNN) – Herman Cain remained defiant against his critics Wednesday, armed with what he said is the voice of the American people and new national poll numbers.

The embattled Republican presidential candidate said his grassroots supporters have propelled his campaign from the beginning and will remain supportive, despite the controversy that exploded this week.

"There are factions that are trying to destroy me personally as well as this campaign," Cain said Wednesday morning before the Consumer Electronics Association. "But there is a force greater, there is a force at work here that is much greater than those that would try to destroy me and destroy this campaign and this journey to the White House and that force is called the voice of the people."

Cain, the former Godfather's Pizza CEO, has spent much of the week responding to a report that two women lodged sexual harassment charges against Cain when he led the National Restaurant Association in the late 1990s.

Team Cain said their fundraising has increased since the news broke, boasting an over $400,000 haul Monday.

During his speech in Virginia, Cain touted a new Quinnipiac University survey as evidence his campaign is strong.

"The American people, folks represent a sleeping giant that has awakened," Cain said. "They are tapped into this campaign."

The poll, released Wednesday, showed Cain ahead of rival Mitt Romney by seven percentage points nationally, 30% to 23%, a lead wider than the sampling error.

However, the survey was taken almost entirely before the POLITICO report of sexual harassment allegations arose Sunday night.

- CNN's Ashley Killough and Kevin Bohn contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. Joshua Ludd

Same old argument... "reality has a liberal bias".

November 2, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  2. Foreverwar

Unckle Ruckus has a pretty amazing selective memory.

November 2, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  3. Bob

If Cain is sure he is innocent then let the accuser come out of the shadow with their side of the story. Why did you have to pay them money to silence them if you were innocent? Why buy someone silence when you could go to court and prove you did not do it? Keep your seat-belt buckled Cain, the storm is growing!

November 2, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  4. Luke Brown

Herman seems to be a typical politician ... but worse. He panders to the worst instincts of Americans, slamming the unemployed, attacking immigrants, and ridiculing African Americans.

He gets criticized for sexual harassment, and then actually attacks the media for not believing any of his three versions of what happened.

Earth to Herman: Welcome to the Big Leagues, buddy. If this is a test of your character, you failed. No one is going to vote for a guy avoids telling the truth by blaming others.

November 2, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. DJ, Orange County CA

Cain is the "voice of the American people"? No...Cain is the voice of billionaire activists like the Kochs. Also Cain served on the Board of Directors of Whirlpool when they replaced thousands of American jobs in Commie China. Nice of the media to never bother to report that or the simple fact he spent years as a Washington D.C. lobbyist.

November 2, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. Geoz

When all else fails, blame the left. No wait, I have that wrong. Blame the left regardless of failure or success or reality.

If it isn't true, then tell the truth. Why were these people paid off?

November 2, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  7. Frank A NYC

People blaming this leak on the left are out of their mind. Who has more to gain with Cain not winning the Republican nomination, Romney/Perry or Obama? Come on folks think a little bit, it wont hurt, really.

November 2, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  8. Frank

Mr Cain, cover yourself in the ARMOR OF GOD because it's the Republican Party bigshots who are your biggest enemies. You have yet to receive the full force of the onslaught to come. Just wait until the REAL racist stuff starts flowing from secret sources as it did against Obama. And, when the KOCH BROTHERS' money kicks in against you, you will have to fight harder than ever.

Good luck sir. We're pulling for you at our house. We need a Christian like you as the GOP nominee!

November 2, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  9. Dan

If by factions he means people with facts, he's right and he can expect a lot more in the near future.

November 2, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  10. The Lone Okie

If the woman likes the man who is making advances you'll never hear about it. But, if he is ugly and she's not attracted, she will let him and everybody know. Some women will make up lies and truly believe them.

November 2, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  11. Mack

Uh oh. Herman was a very bad investment for the Koch brothers. Time to pay off another candidate. Boycott Dixie products!

November 2, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  12. Steve Chapman

I thought Republicans were in favor of promoting personal responsibility. I am confused as to why Mr. Cain is not accepting responsibility for his actions and moving on. Seems a bit like Do as I say but NOT as I do.....

November 2, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  13. kat

Come on people ! I like Herman Cain, but I get sick and tired of seeing him and hearing him on EVERY NETWORK, I watch Fox News and it seems like they are almost endorsing him, I want the opportunity to see fair and balanced coverage of ALL the candidates. I may end up supporting Cain, but I want to see more information about all my options.

November 2, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  14. once upon a horse

when Obama was attacked (and STILL is being attacked) most of the right stood by silent if not giggling. Now that Cain is being attacked it's the "evil left wing media" going after him. Look in your own house fiolks before you throw stones. The left and the Democrats have NOTHING to gain by having Cain attacked....now the right and the 2012ers on the other hand...........

November 2, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  15. Bob

I love Republicans they don't even care about those in their own party if it benefits the individual...The party of ONE and NO.

November 2, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  16. Paul1st

American politics has always been an ugly process. Cain has barely dipped his toe into the cesspool. He still has the gauntlet of the GOP primaries ahead of him. There is no doubt that Perry will attempt to do to Cain what Bush did to McCain in South Carolina. If Cain survives Perry, Cain can look forward to the next GOP candidate to attack. If Cain gets the nomination, then he can look forward to a full assault by the Democrats in addition to various and sundry wingnuts on both sides. Who knows what else is in store for Cain? Birthers? Swift boaters? Cain needs to avoid playing the persecution and paranoia cards. In the American system, these cards are signs of weakness. I can already hear Bachmann saying "man up."

November 2, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  17. The Prince of Common Cents

If this man would have said the following when this scandal broke: "Yeah, I did it. We settled. I asked my wife, my family and God to forgive me. It was a mistake that I am truly sorry for. That was the old me. This happened a long time ago so let's move on!" I would have more respect for him. Now, I am convinced even more that he's a LIAR, a POLITICIAN, a SNAKE and DECEIVER....whatever happened to the REAL Herman CAIN?!?

November 2, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. Ken

Oh Hermie, Hermie, Hermie! It's time to put your big boy pants on and to quit whining about being a victim. It's NOT attractive!

November 2, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  19. Observer

PA_outofwork,

Guess again. If it was Democrats who knew about this story, it would have come out at a better time, specifically if Cain was the Republican nominee. Common sense says that it's CURRENT opponents pushing it.

November 2, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. CathyinMN

You are outraged because you did not think this story would get out due to the confidentialty agreement. I would suggest you spend less time placing blame and be as forthcoming as you can within the boundaries of the agreement. When will anyone learn it's the coverup that gets you everytime. I seriously doubt this was linked by the "other side", I suggest you look within your own party sir. I would also suggest you ask the likes of Limbaugh and Coulter TO GET OFF YOUR SIDE. Ann Coulter's "our blacks are better than their blacks" is beyond comment. If you had answered honestly the first time rather than change you story a dozen times over the last several days, you might have been further ahead. I have a sneaking feeling that there is more to the story than you are admitting to and when there is smoke there is generally fire.

November 2, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. newmoon2

Herman, Herman, Herman... get over it! If you can't stand the heat, get back to the pizza kitchen. This is politics! Did you really think because you say you're an 'outsider' that everyone will play nice-nice with you?! Do us all a favor and quit while you still have a shred of dignity left, because this is what your own PARTY is doing to you... wait until the REAL opposition takes out the knives!

November 2, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. Mikaz

Welcome to politics Mr. Cain. I would bet that your own party is behind the smear.

November 2, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  23. carrie

It is called vetting and most do it to themselves......"out to get Herman" Mmmmmm seems to me it is the truth that could get him!

November 2, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  24. Bruce

A cynical man would say that Cain's campaign timed this leak to distract us from the pesky details of his silly 9-9-9 plan and turn him into a martyr who needs to be protected by his supporters.

The polling numbers seem to indicate that the ploy worked, if indeed that is what happened...

November 2, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  25. Amazing

To use herman's words, show me some proof that this was a Democrat smear! The real story is the fact that this man of faith lied. He should have admitted to the truth on day 1 instead of giving 3 evolving responses. The allegations of sexual harassment may or may not be true. It is not uncommon to settle as the cost to litigate is simply not worth taking the trip. It is not the settlement that is the issue; it is his untruthful response that is the problem. That has nothing to do with Democrats.

November 2, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |