TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?
January 18th, 2012

TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?

(CNN) - If Newt Gingrich wins the White House in November, the former House speaker said Wednesday Sarah Palin may get a big seat at the table.

"I would ask her to consider taking a major role in the next administration if I'm president, but nothing has been discussed of any kind," Gingrich said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Southern Republican Presidential Debate hosted by John King and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the South Carolina primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

His comments came one day after Palin urged South Carolina voters to head to the polls for Gingrich during Saturday's first-in-the-South primary.

She said a win for Gingrich would prolong the Republican primary and allow voters more time to vet the remaining candidates.

Asked if he would consider the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee to be his own running-mate this time around, Gingrich insisted it was too early to discuss a possible short list.

"Certainly, she's one of the people I'd call on for advice," Gingrich said.

Also see:

Christie to Romney: release tax info 'sooner rather than later'

Perry defends controversial comment on Turkey

Obama campaign makes first moves toward major ad buys

Romney ahead in Ohio; neck and neck with Obama in match-up

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin • South Carolina • TV-The Situation Room
  1. MollyBee

Oh, boy....here we go. How many of you would like to have Cross Hairs Palin as your Secretary of State, or Defense..or anything? Poor kids cleaning up after their wealthier class mates is not enough for Grinchwich, I guess. Another example of how far removed from the mainstream our GOP has become.

January 19, 2012 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  2. Hairball

Gingrich will end up being single-handedly responsible for the re-elections of both Clinton and Obama!

January 19, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  3. 5041360

this only gets better- colbert is having rally in Charleston – he'[s looking better than any of the clowns republicands are trying to shove down our throats!

January 19, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  4. DaveinPA

Any candidate who would give Palin ANY position is a fool and a sell-out, as was McCain!
    If Gingrich, a student of history, is actually considering this, I'll say you don't have to look very far back in history to see how this worked out for McCain. Palin is a reality-show joke, and is the kiss of death!

January 19, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  5. mdn

Calista better watch out! That Sarah is sure prurrty.

January 19, 2012 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  6. yoshi

ha...ha...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah – you have got to be kidding me. The GOP has an excellent chance of winning the presidential election and now they are talking about this? Not only will they not win, it could literally mean the end of the Republican Party. Are they that stupid? Romney is a clear choice, successful in business, successful in a liberal state, fixed the Olympics, squeaky clean family man – what more do you want GOP? I voted for Obama and if Newt-Palin running, I'm voting for Obama again!

January 19, 2012 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  7. lafferty

Thank you Newt. – Obama

January 19, 2012 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  8. Al-NY,NY

Newt....even though you will not get the nomination, bringing this walking and screeching plague back into the discussion is a rotten thing to do.....

January 19, 2012 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. Curt

Is he serious? What a joke! Newt, I think that stupid comment just cost you any chance you had.

January 19, 2012 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  10. gt

another reason not to vote for newt

January 19, 2012 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  11. Carol

What advice from Palin would anyone need?

January 19, 2012 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  12. Tom

If Palin is someone you would take advice from, I want nothing to do with you!

January 19, 2012 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  13. Puddin

Well, Newt just lost my vote....(just kidding, he never had it). Just imagine listening to that whiney voice of Palin's......ohhhh no!

January 19, 2012 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  14. Dennis Bell

You gotta hand it to ole Newt. He would say anything to get the nutbag vote in SC

January 19, 2012 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  15. Madtown

In terms of comedy, a Gingrich/Palin ticket would be a Godsend to us all. But, Newt is smart enough to know that $arah Palin is a political cancer, so it will never happen. He's entertaining the talk, because he also knows that while being a political cancer, she's an attention/media wh0re, so he'll get plenty of attention also by association.

January 19, 2012 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  16. Jeff

I always thought 'death rattle' would have a nice sound with regards to Gingrich. Now it seems like he's making it himself. Sarah 'who?' Palin making policy??? Oh please elephants, make him your nominee....

January 19, 2012 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  17. babs

There'd be humpty-dancin' in Oval office fer shure, youbetcha!

January 19, 2012 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  18. Ritt Money

Yes, yes, yes !!!!!!!! Four More Years, and a bountiful late night comedy scene!!! Lovin' it!!!!!!

January 19, 2012 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  19. Jennifer NYC

LOL – I just love the posts here!! Funnier than any I could think up...I love Secretary of Stoopid. Too funny.

January 19, 2012 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  20. CAAZ2

Newt does not call this PANDERING and he did not call CHEATING on his two wives (and probably 3) adultery. And he would not call anyone but himself SMART unless he had to do it for survival reasons. And while I don't want to see just a warm teddy bear in the White House, this guy is about as far from schmoozeability as anyway I have ever seen around the Betlway. IMO he wrote the book on EGO. Does he have native intelligence? Probably. Is he well-read? Yes. Is he shrewd? Of course? Is he wise? No. Is he likeable? No. Is he willing to step on anyone to get his way if he won't be found out? More than likely. I have nothing against Ms. Palin for voicing her opinions and making a buck. If Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on the left can do it so can she. And I think she is a decent human being. But Newt has just EXPOSED HIMSELF big time on this one as a definite, 100% PANDERER.

January 19, 2012 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  21. Amit-Atlanta-USA

Even though I am NOT an ardent supporter of Gingrich given his ideological leanings (I don't care less about his baggage), I know for a fact he's an incredibly smart man (very much in the same league as Bill Clinton who I believe is one of the smartest American presidents, followed by John Huntsman and Obama....and I don't see anyone else in sight!)

Having said that I can say for sure that Newt has chosen ONE OF THE DUIMBEST AMERICAN POLITICIANS OF ALL TIME Sarah Palin only b'coz of her large following in the extreme right wing, ideologically driven, utterly ILLOGICAL Tea-Partyers.

Any one disagrees?

January 19, 2012 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. The GOP opens mouth and inserts foot

Let it happen! Obama/Biden will win by a landslide, just like Reagan did when he beat Mondale and Mondale only had 13 electoral votes. Idjit Newt and Palin the pickle-brained moron? Dream ticket of defeat for the rethuglicans!

January 19, 2012 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  23. Lindsey

"Certainly, she's one of the people I'd call on for advice," Gingrich said.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Oh man, all I had to do was read this line and I laughed so hard I had coffee flying out of my nose! If the Gingy would call on Sarah for "advice", that sort of says a lot about Gingy's so-called "intelligence." Hey, maybe she can help him see Russia from HIS house! LOL!!!

January 19, 2012 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  24. Big George in Big D

@AmandaInTN – EVER HEARD OF JOE BIDEN? 'Nuff said.

January 19, 2012 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  25. NH Grandma

Clearly, Newton Tootin didn't learn from McCain's major mistake! Are these GOP candidates just brainless and totally lacking in good judgement? Palin trying to fill that role would make the US the laughing stock of the planet. Give us a break!

January 19, 2012 09:40 am at 9:40 am |