TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?
January 18th, 2012

TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?

(CNN) - If Newt Gingrich wins the White House in November, the former House speaker said Wednesday Sarah Palin may get a big seat at the table.

"I would ask her to consider taking a major role in the next administration if I'm president, but nothing has been discussed of any kind," Gingrich said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Southern Republican Presidential Debate hosted by John King and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the South Carolina primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

His comments came one day after Palin urged South Carolina voters to head to the polls for Gingrich during Saturday's first-in-the-South primary.

She said a win for Gingrich would prolong the Republican primary and allow voters more time to vet the remaining candidates.

Asked if he would consider the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee to be his own running-mate this time around, Gingrich insisted it was too early to discuss a possible short list.

"Certainly, she's one of the people I'd call on for advice," Gingrich said.

Also see:

Christie to Romney: release tax info 'sooner rather than later'

Perry defends controversial comment on Turkey

Obama campaign makes first moves toward major ad buys

Romney ahead in Ohio; neck and neck with Obama in match-up

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin • South Carolina • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Gloria

OMG! This just keeps getting scarier and scarier. President Obama, at this rate, you certainly don't have to worry about not being re-elected for another term! Go Obama/Biden 2012!!

January 19, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  2. Paul1st

What do you have in mind, Newt? Secretary of State? National Security Adviser? White House Chief of Staff? Your decision will speak volumes about your judgement. May I suggest White House Spokesperson? The exchanges between Sarah and the White House Press Corps would be priceless!

January 19, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. jack

You would think that Newt, being a history teacher, should know that history usually repeats it's self. I guess he's one of those that learns by expierence and he will if he chooses this idiot. As an independant, I am not even close as to what I am going to do but I do know that anyone involving Palin would never get my vote and I would'nt even consider that person.

January 19, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. Baylor Alum

I'll bet ole Newt is considering her for the crucial post of swimsuit comissioner, unless I miss my guess...
    This might be a job she's actually qualified for!

January 19, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. wea76

Hey Newt, make Sarah your press secretary and give the Talk Show and Stand-up comedians a lifetime of material.

January 19, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  6. Jay

Hey Newt we know you read these comments or that you have a paid staffer do it – Still think this was a good idea?

January 19, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  7. OM

Please!!!!!Is this the Ronald Reagan Party?????? God help us!!. Please send her back to Alaska to watch Russia from the porch!!! Enough with Caribou Barbie!!!!

January 19, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. hypatia

I didn't know there was an official "Washington Harpy" position.

January 19, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  9. Gino

That's it. He's cooked. Just shows how smart he isn't and how dumb she is.

January 19, 2012 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  10. conoclast

So as a cynical nod to the lunatic-right Gingrich would infect the electorate yet again with the Palin virus, eh? I'd thought the Newtster was smarter than that; doesn't he see that in the Real World we've (thankfully!) developed an immunity?
    Which post are you considering for her, eh Newt? Secretary of State perhaps?

January 19, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. Eardley Ham Woodbury, MN

Stupid is as stupid says. Newt, the slimy amphibian, wants Lady Moosekiller for some position in his administration? What possibly could the dumbest witch in Alaska bring to the dance? The Republican Party is obviously comprised of every loose-brained muckhead in the country if Newt is seriously considered a viable opponent of Obama in the next presidential contest.

January 19, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  12. garc

Mean and Crazy. God help us.

January 19, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. Monique Manna

If this for some "far fetch" reason actaully does happen, I will voite for OBAMA! She is the reason I did not vote for Mccain! BTW...can't wait to hear what Newts ex has to say tonight! MITT 2012!

January 19, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  14. Sniffit

So will this be on the Ridiculist tonight?

January 19, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  15. Eric

This must be why she's laying low lately. She's busy reading "Politics for Dummies". And by that I mean the book on tape.

January 19, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  16. bk753

I'm NOT trying to be a hater, but I am genuinely perplexed as to what position she would be qualified for. Seriously. Those who like/admire/support/tolerate this woman, would you please tell the rest of us what job you feel she is capable of doing well. The "only" do-nothing job that she is suitable for would be Vice President, but then the elected President would have to agree in advance not to die...

January 19, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  17. jesor

Well....Newt does like to be the smartest person in the room, and governor Palin would be in no danger of risking that.

January 19, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. Limbaugh is a liberal

Anyone need any more proof that republicans are completely out of touch with reality?

January 19, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  19. ShawnDH

Well good thing Newt has 0% chance of ever being president.

January 19, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  20. cecilia

there is no way a Republican can be that stupid – once maybe but not twice. I know they are not metal giants, but you must be kidding, please tell me you are kidding – just when it was safe to turn on the news and now sheeeeeeeeeessssssss back

January 19, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  21. bluedogboy

Gingrich might be crazy, but he isn't stupid.

January 19, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. AT

I guess the GOP learned nothing from 2008!!

Why would you even taint your campaign with her name?!! Your campaign is not being run well ... congrats on trying.

January 19, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  23. Fran

If I were his current wife I would be concerned already.

January 19, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. JimAR

Mother Theresa couldn't save Newt's ticket.

January 19, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  25. LB84

Seriously, this didn't work out so well for the last guy did it? She's toxic!

January 19, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |