TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?
January 18th, 2012

TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?

(CNN) - If Newt Gingrich wins the White House in November, the former House speaker said Wednesday Sarah Palin may get a big seat at the table.

"I would ask her to consider taking a major role in the next administration if I'm president, but nothing has been discussed of any kind," Gingrich said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Southern Republican Presidential Debate hosted by John King and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the South Carolina primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

His comments came one day after Palin urged South Carolina voters to head to the polls for Gingrich during Saturday's first-in-the-South primary.

She said a win for Gingrich would prolong the Republican primary and allow voters more time to vet the remaining candidates.

Asked if he would consider the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee to be his own running-mate this time around, Gingrich insisted it was too early to discuss a possible short list.

"Certainly, she's one of the people I'd call on for advice," Gingrich said.

Also see:

Christie to Romney: release tax info 'sooner rather than later'

Perry defends controversial comment on Turkey

Obama campaign makes first moves toward major ad buys

Romney ahead in Ohio; neck and neck with Obama in match-up

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin • South Carolina • TV-The Situation Room
  1. DKM

now this is pretty sad if it wasn't sad enough to begin with... the only GOP who has a chance to beat Obama is Romney ( I shake my head at this 3-ring circus) and if the GOP vote in one of these other "candidates" then they might as well roll up the carpet and kiss their party's credibility goodbye... maybe it is time for a 3rd party for reasonable people.

January 19, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. samadams

We liberals can only hope.

January 19, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. Dan

If this isn't reason enough NOT to vote for the Grinch, I don't know what is.

January 19, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. bossman33

He could of just shot his self in the foot.. But I guess this is how he wanted to go out.

January 19, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. PatriciaD

It goes to show how out of touch Newt is. Certainly no presidential material there.

January 19, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  6. TampaMike

Someone suggested making Palin ambassador to china. Send her to russia, so she can see it for real!

January 19, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. Independent In Albany

FAIL, FAIL FAIL!!!!

Lose the center, lose the election.....................

January 19, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. JimAR

Maybe Secretary of Education . . . 'er Home Skoolin!

January 19, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. Tammy

So when Todd Palin said he was endorsing Newt, does that realy mean he bought his wife a job???

January 19, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. FreeLove

Smart move by Newt. Everyone thinks Palin is a joke, but conservos dig her.

January 19, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. thinkergal

Oh, yeah, take her advice–then do the opposite!

January 19, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. streetdude66

dumb & dumber

January 19, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. Jack

I'd vote for Tina FEY!

January 19, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. GI Joe

WOW – Gingrich wanted an open marriage and "Calista doesn't care what he does"?

Now we know what position he wants $arah to be in.

January 19, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  15. blah9999

Oooo, I hope so! That way there'll be no question as to who the next president will be.

January 19, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. BromleyJC

Well Newt, you just helped me narrow my decision – you're not in my mix anymore!!

January 19, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. Scott

Newt beating Obama would be difficult enough as it is. A Newt/Palin ticket would almost guarantee Obama's re-election.

Palin is too polarizing at this time to be considered a viable VP choice.

January 19, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. kiminatl

Oh Please, let this be the case! Newt and Palin together. If you thought the debacle with McCain was something, wait for her to derail Newt. The only difference is Newt will not only throw her under the bus, but drive it over her; back up and do it again with Calista, aka "stepford wife" riding shotgun!!

January 19, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  19. BromleyJC

January 19, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. vbscript2

Wow, I was never really a fan of Gingrich to start with, but Palin? Really? Can't we please just leave that woman in the past where she belongs? This pretty well confirms Gingrich's position at the bottom of the list of people I would vote for in the primary. I'm surprised Perry endorsed him.

January 19, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. Debbie

Palin? Really? Newt Gingrich just lost any support he may have had up until now. Just the fact that he considers her capable of doing anything intelligent -that's just political suicide.
    She has no brains and is only suited for some kind of lowbrow reality show.

January 19, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  22. Omar

A Newt and a snake, That s perfect!!!

January 19, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Mark

The only position Newt would give Sarah is an all fours

January 19, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. JamesBenson

That's a mighty big "If" – I don't see him winning the primary, never mind the presidency.

January 19, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  25. LOL

I just tried to read through these post without wetting my pants from laughter. I didnt see one positive comment on here about this. With that being said. I hope, pray, beg, plead, jump through hoops hoping any GOP candidate would add Palin to the ticket. LMAO. opps I just wet myself ........ LMAO

January 19, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |