TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?
January 18th, 2012

TRENDING: Gingrich's Secretary Palin?

(CNN) - If Newt Gingrich wins the White House in November, the former House speaker said Wednesday Sarah Palin may get a big seat at the table.

"I would ask her to consider taking a major role in the next administration if I'm president, but nothing has been discussed of any kind," Gingrich said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Southern Republican Presidential Debate hosted by John King and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the South Carolina primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

His comments came one day after Palin urged South Carolina voters to head to the polls for Gingrich during Saturday's first-in-the-South primary.

She said a win for Gingrich would prolong the Republican primary and allow voters more time to vet the remaining candidates.

Asked if he would consider the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee to be his own running-mate this time around, Gingrich insisted it was too early to discuss a possible short list.

"Certainly, she's one of the people I'd call on for advice," Gingrich said.

Also see:

Christie to Romney: release tax info 'sooner rather than later'

Perry defends controversial comment on Turkey

Obama campaign makes first moves toward major ad buys

Romney ahead in Ohio; neck and neck with Obama in match-up

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin • South Carolina • TV-The Situation Room
  1. AGeek

Newt? That's ..uhm.. illegal. Intentionally will get you two years, unintentionally gets one in a federal lockup. Oh ..right, I forgot ..he's a politician. Laws don't apply to him.

January 19, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. ever4lasting

God help us Palin is an idiot this shows that Newt is no better in judgement than McCain

January 19, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Hahahaha

All I can say.

January 19, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. JoePub

If I were Palin, I wouldn't waste my time in political office. The real money is in book deals, and speaking engagements.

January 19, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  5. A Moderate

She certainly could help him quit after half his term.

January 19, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. Nat Turner

Thank goodness we will NEVER have to worry about THIS toxic combination!

January 19, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. Carlton

A guaranteed victory for Obama

January 19, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. Bob

Dear God make that ticket happen so I can listen to crickets at all the Red State polling places.

January 19, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. MaxNatoma

How many ways can you pander to the right-wing fringe, Newt?

January 19, 2012 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Dee

Oh golly gee Newt, I thought you wanted the nomination.

January 19, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  11. jb

Why not, this ticket might work...remember the American public voted W into office... TWICE; and look where that got us. Newt needs a chance to return our economy and way of life back to Victorian England.
    Palin will serve a purpose as a lightning rod and as a terrier after a bone for anyone Newt wants to slander, or keep on the defensive while he's pulling his foot out of his mouth and head out of his backside.

January 19, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. Barry G.

I'd like to see the income tax statements of all of the candidates (both parties), and I'd like to see the tax statements of every senator and representative (both parties).

I'd like to know how each of them made their vast fortunes and how much they've taken from which lobbyists.

January 19, 2012 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. california girl

I was starting to like Gingrich, but as i started checking out this morning CNN news, and saw his political "plan" (with PALIN) being a part of it, i said, "Oh No...another McCain." Gingrich you just lost a lot of potential votes!!!! And this woman (who has no clues at all), would do anything just to get the limelight.

Anyway, Gingrich will NOT get the Republican presidential nomination...am glad.

January 19, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. Stratmaster

Knowing Newt's history it won't be advice he is looking for from her.

January 19, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  15. Matthew

Just imagine............................................ Sec of State Sarah Palin. LOL

January 19, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  16. Jonathan

Unless that position has something to do with coffee and typing, he should stay far away from her. I don't particularly like him, but this cinches it. If he wins the Republican nomination, I'm voting Obama. She's an absolute idiot, and anyone that would consider her for any kind of prominent position is by extension an absolute idiot.

January 19, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. J myer

Newt is using Palin and she is stupid enough not to see through him. He needs her followers to vote for him and the best way to get them, is to promise her a position in his supposed administration. Her followers are adamant about her getting into the White House, one way or another. She is also playing him, as she want to be in the White House too, so they are two peas in a pod, both with huge egos, arrogant and self-serving. It would be interesting to see who would run the show. This would be a disaster for the country!!

January 19, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  18. Buck in AK

Anyone calling on Sarah Palin for "advice" needs therapy

January 19, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  19. WildMontana

She's a joke, but Newt isn't that far behind. I'm betting that Romney will win the nomination and then choose Lindsey Graham as his running mate in order to secure the South/Evangelical/Teabgger/NASCAR vote.

January 19, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  20. Ruiz

Wow, so sad, the hate for Sarah Palin. I guess respect for the governor of one of our great states is asking too much. I can certainly think of many politicians that are less qualified for a position in our government, but somehow they get a pass. I never thought I'd see this on CNN, I used to love to watch Headline News. I will continue to pray for our country.

January 19, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  21. Tom

I think Palin wants Newt to choose her as the running mate, that's why she likes Newt. It's ridiculous. Common guys, We are elect our future wise president, to restore America. Please conservatives, don't base on candidate religious background as long as he is capable to restore our great nation, America.

January 19, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  22. GOP is lost

She could be the Ambassador to that country Africa.

January 19, 2012 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. Buck in AK

If Obama is out of office...what is Palin going to crab about? She obviously doesnt do anything but complain about Obama. Never heard any positivity out of her.

January 19, 2012 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  24. Jim

GOP could kiss the presidency goodbye with that combo...sure Palin gets some calls from the Democrats encouraging her to run.

January 19, 2012 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  25. Ron

Thank you Newt...... that makes it positive that you will lose along with your stupid sidekick....... maybe then your wife will lose some of the botox so she can actualy blink her eyes....

January 19, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |