Colbert: Vote for Cain, he's on the ballot
January 20th, 2012

Colbert: Vote for Cain, he's on the ballot

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN) - Call it the rally for wannabe candidates.

Comedian and faux television host Stephen Colbert took the stage Friday with former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain, whose name still remains on the South Carolina primary ballot.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

"I came here to praise one man, one 'Her-man'," Colbert said. "Herman Cain is an outsider. In fact he is such an outsider, he's not even running for president anymore."

Cain suspended his campaign in December amid allegations of sexual misconduct after he had already secured a spot in the Palmetto State primary.

Colbert, meanwhile, announced last week his pseudo campaign to compete in Saturday's nominating contest.

But without much luck getting his name in the running (he missed the November filing deadline and the state does not permit write-in ballots) Colbert on Saturday urged supporters to throw their support behind Cain in his stead.

"I want you to vote for Herman Cain, because Herman Cain is me," Colbert said. "He believes in hard work, the power of free markets, and he possesses the one thing I don't think I will ever have: a place on the South Carolina primary ballot."

Accepting Colbert's praise, the former Godfather's Pizza executive said he was thrilled when the comedian asked him to be part of the event.

"Mr. Colbert could not get on the ballot, I could not get off the ballot. That's how this came about," Cain joked. "And Mr. Colbert mentioned that there was one thing that I have that he does not have...which is a bus with my face on it."

Thousands of young people flocked to the campus of the College of Charleston for the rally, which included a marching band and a choir on stage.

Stacey Hanchuck, an independent voter, said she plans to cast her ballot for Cain.

"In a roundabout way, we're voting for Stephen Colbert 2017," she said, holding a homemade Colbert poster.

Because South Carolina has an open primary, any registered voter, including Democrats and independents, can cast a ballot.

Hanchuck's friend, Brian Fisher, said he hopes Cain does well at the polls.

"I think it would send a message that people are just tired of the candidates we've been getting, that no clear leader stands out," Fisher said.

The satire-filled rally marked the second anniversary of the controversial Citizens United Supreme Court decision that allowed for the creation of super PACS, independent groups allowed to raise and spend unlimited amounts of money on candidates as long as they don't coordinate with the campaigns.

And while Colbert drew plenty of laughs satirizing the Supreme Court ruling-the comedian has created his own super PAC called "Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow"–it was no laughing matter for Cammy Kennedy.

"The more votes Stephen Colbert or Herman Cain can get the stronger the statement it will make that I was willing to take time on Saturday to go to the polls and vote for someone who is never going to get elected," said Kennedy, who described herself as "very liberal."

"But that's not what concerns me," she added. "It is more concerning to me that the super PACS are controlling the message that gets out to voters."

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Also see:

Perry drops out, endorses Gingrich

Judge-drawn Texas redistricting map tossed out by Supreme Court

Gingrich releases 2010 federal tax records

Santorum tries to shoulder past Romney, Gingrich in debate

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Stephen Colbert
  1. Rudy NYC

Herman Cain will say and do anything to get paid. Does he know that he probably just blew that job at Fox?

January 20, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. gt

stupid... americans troops die in afganistan today... and we waste time showing fools like these two... just stupid waste fo time...

January 20, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Joe YOU LIE Wilson

I actually like Herman Cain now than I did when he was running for Prez. Actually I liked him even then because he brought the LOLz

January 20, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. Shannon

Herman Cain is proving he never was serious about being President

January 20, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. shoegazer

Cain/Perry 2016....the dream ticket of comedians worldwide. Excluding of course,Stephen Colbert.

January 20, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. GODZILLA1

Colbert is far more intelligent than any of the GOP candidates running, or who have run.

January 20, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  7. Michael

Cammy Kennedy, that's EXACTLY the point! By forming his own Super-PAC, Colbert is commenting on the sheer bullshit that is the political system and how money influences it.

January 20, 2012 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  8. mmjk

You got that right Cammy, the superpacs are going to be running the country. Shame on the Supreme Court!!

January 20, 2012 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  9. the_dude

Colbert is like one of those people you know who just tries too hard.

January 20, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  10. Principi

Colbert is really nothing more than a human cartoon. Cain belittles what remains of his own image by association.

January 20, 2012 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  11. Tealiban

Stepehn Colbert...America's second most popular pretend news anchor, and one of the funniest dudes in the world.

January 20, 2012 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  12. Patrick

A tip of my hat to Colbert.

January 20, 2012 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  13. callthebluff

Super Pacs are not such a super thing, just another example of too much money equals too much power. Thanks to Colbert average citizens are learning a little more about dirty backdoor politics, like the swift boats.

January 20, 2012 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. Alex

Usually I like Colbert but I think he's being stupid here. Vote for Ron Paul if you want to stand for our freedoms, against government overspending, flip flopping politicians and against bias media coverage. 🙂

January 20, 2012 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  15. Sara

I hate to tell you this CNN, but Colbert is not a "faux television host". Maybe a faux news host, but he has his own, real, show that airs on a real network with real people in the audience. Are you implying that he's a robot or something...

January 20, 2012 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  16. mrt00

Vote for a lesser clown...

January 20, 2012 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  17. JCQueipo

Go Colbert and Cain

January 20, 2012 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  18. loathstheright

Nearly every conservative I have met, think Colbert is a conservative....LoL They don't get humor very well.

January 20, 2012 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  19. cowflop

"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."
    Abraham Lincoln

Thanks guys!!

January 20, 2012 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  20. tim

colbert would be a better president than any of these nuts

January 20, 2012 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  21. Bigdadg

Imagine if Cain gets more than 10%. It's a clear sign that people are sick of the same old rhetoric. What's the solution? *sigh* I just don't know. Heavy drinking until December 21st, then we all get raptured, right?

January 20, 2012 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  22. Chris Stanton

Looks like a bunch of floor "monkeys" dancing around singing and clapping behind the ring "masters" of the circus. I guess they don't realize that these politicians and faux politicians are making a mockery of them while racking in the MONEY for themselves. So why is Herman Cain still relevant? Shouldn't he be disgraced from the forum of public discussion??? If his own wife can't trust him to keep his word why should the American public? Why is it not a popular idea to hold the MESSENGER ACCOUNTABLE??? I mean if I brought your favorite meal to you and served it on a garbage lid would you be eager to eat it??? This is the reason politics in America is so fractured and broken. They aren't public servants they are public Entertainers & Human Cattle Herders... a vote for any of these buffoons is an endorsement for IDIOCRACY2012.

January 20, 2012 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. cola

This show does not have to go on...please stop

January 20, 2012 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  24. DENNA

It would be just wonderful if Herman Cain came out the winner in South Carolina! LOL The Conservatives would scream so loud, the moon would fall out of the sky. LOL I love it!

January 20, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  25. hankers

Corporations are people too... only with more money.

January 20, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |