Republicans slam Obama on health care at two year mark
The exterior of the Republican National Committee in Washington, D.C. on March 23.
March 23rd, 2012

Republicans slam Obama on health care at two year mark

Washington (CNN) - As expected, Republicans are attacking President Barack Obama on the second anniversary of his signing of the landmark and controversial health care reform measure into law.

"Today is the two-year anniversary of ObamaCare, but President Obama is not celebrating. He would rather Americans forget about his signature 'accomplishment,' because today it is a massive, undeniable failure and a heap of broken promises," says Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, in a statement Friday.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
- Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @psteinhausercnn

In a message echoed by other Republicans, the RNC chairman argued that "President Obama promised to lower premiums for families, but they will skyrocket into the future. He promised we could keep our health care plans, yet 20 million Americans could lose theirs."

Priebus added that Obama said his health care law was good for the country, but argued that instead, the measure would kill jobs, raise taxes, and increases taxes.

The RNC chairman's statement is part of a push by the party committee to criticize the president and the health care law on this second anniversary.

Obama signed the top domestic legislative achievement of his presidency into law on March 23, 2010. At the time, Democrats, emboldened by a new president and big gains in Congress, pushed the sweeping legislation to expand coverage for uninsured Americans, clashing with Republicans who branded the bill "Obamacare" and warned it would trigger an unprecedented intrusion by Washington into people's medical decisions. The bill was passed through Congress basically along party lines.

The issue became a central part of the 2010 midterm elections, helping the Republicans to a historic 63 seat pickup as they won back control of the House of Representatives. The 2012 GOP presidential candidates have made rolling back the new health care law a central promise of their campaigns.

Polling conducted earlier this month indicates Americans are divided when it comes to support of the health care law. According to a Pew Research Center survey 47% of the public supports the measure, with 45% opposed. But just as important, a majority (53%) say the bill should be expanded or left as is, with 38% saying it should be repealed.

- CNN Senior Congressional Producer Deirdre Walsh contributed to this report.

Filed under: Health care • President Obama • Republicans
  1. Cea Wolff

Reince Priebus is wrong, wrong, wrong. Why can"t all Americans have access to decent health care without going bankrupt to do it? if the Republicans hadn't obstructed it, it would be a lot better, but it can and will be successful.

March 23, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. Larry L

The Republicans are hard at work obstructing all progress. They hate the President's plan but offer nothing of their own. Where is their idea? Remember the Bush plan to lower the cost of prescription drugs? That simply turned out to be a gift to the pharmaceutical firms – who promptly upped the cost of drugs to capture the 10% increase Medicare provided. Republicans will create a plan that does nothing but fatten-up the bottom-line for HMOs, insurance companies, and pharmaceutical firms. The middle class, especially the elderly, will pay the bill.

March 23, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. The-Least-Unelectable

Republicans slam Obama on health care but approve of Romneycare. Talk of a confused party.

March 23, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

Okay, let's do health care the Republican way. Which is? Nothing. We resume what we saw during the Bush administration, which was annual skyrocketing costs of health care insurance. Higher costs and less coverage. At least the rise in health insurance costs have slowed since the ACA was passed.

March 23, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  5. American

Undeniable success & promises kept:

1. Insurance coverage can no longer be denied to my nephew for his pre-existing childhood diabetes.
    2. Mom's Medicare improved by closing the donut hole in her coverage.
    3. Niece can stay on parents' insurance until 26 while finishing college.
    4. Insurance can no longer rescind coverage.
    5. Etc, etc.

God bless you, President Obama 2012!

March 23, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. DAK

The healthcare debate then and the GOP crying about it now reminds me of wanting to build a fence between my property and a neighbor's.
    "I'm going to build a fence. Let's both go to the store and pick it out because you'll be looking at half of it, right?"
    "I don't want no fence."
    "Well, I'm going to build a fence on my property so you might want to go with me and help pick it out."
    "I don't want no fence."
    So after I go buy the fence and do the work of building it with no help from my neighbor but lots of obstruction, the fence is finally built and ready to paint. "What color do you want?"
    "I don't want no fence."
    So after I buy the fence, build the fence, and paint the fence my neighbor still complains about the way the fence doesn't work good enough to suit him.

That's how the Republicans are with health care. They have no idea what to do and don;t care to help make another's idea better just because they want to beat him in the next election. BS. The GOP would rather destroy this country than see any party other than Republican in the Whitehouse because they want to be in charge of the destruction so they can get the bigger pieces.

March 23, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  7. Switters

Yes – giving old people "vouchers" instead of Medicare is so much better......

March 23, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. New Age Independant

Rudy NYC

----–

So the proposals that were put together by the Republicans really amounted to nothing? Seems to be that Democrats refused to even consider any proposal during the last 3 years. I'll give you that little was done before Obama though, but that also counts his Democrat predecessors too.

Also, I have only seen an increase in health insurance costs. I've personally experienced a 20% increase and increased deductables, so I'm not buying into your claim.

March 23, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. Howard

What I fgind most illuminating is that even though the country is evenly divided on the issue of the Healthcare law, the previous responders are all on one side of the issue... a comment o CNN?

March 23, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

Health insurers really hate the "Patient's Bill of Rights" provisions. Can you blame them? Do you feel sorry for them? I don't on both counts. They sure don't feel sorry for you or me. If they did, they wouldn't be dropping people or turning people away.

March 23, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. Paul in NH

An unprecedented intrusion into people's medical decisions??? What about all the right-wing proposals in several states to mandate unnecessary ultrasounds and 'guilt speeches' for pregnant woman considering abortions? Keep government off my back – except if you're a woman! Hypocrites!

March 23, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. vic , nashville ,tn

Mr. Reince Priebus and his party care about super rich only

March 23, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  13. diridi

@American
    6. This is the nation's dire and desperate need for the welfare of Middle Class Americans.
    7. We need to stop Insurance idiots lobby GOP idiots to talk nonsense.
    8. I am glad it is passed and signed into LAW.
    9. Only if you have head, you realize it is a good law.
    10. Yes. Obama2012/Hillary16.

March 23, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Annie, Atlanta

Does anyone else find it the heigh of hypocrisy that lawmakers who have taxpayer funded salaries, health benefits, and pensions want to take away what little healthcare we're afforded under the President's plan. I would be ok with them taking away Obamacare(s), if they were willing to give up their benefits, too. No?

vic,nashville,tn – you're right. They always have just cared about the rich, but now more than ever. It's just a shame that half of us don't notice or care. The GOP has been purchased, yet some of us still think they're working on our behalf. Like I said, a shame.

March 23, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  15. Laverne

Repubs are the most hypocritcal bunch of nuts there is. We praise Romney and Romneycare, but we criticize Obama and Obamacare. I say the sign should read Thank you Mr. Romney for laying the ground work for healthcare, we support you!

March 23, 2012 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  16. Claudia, Phoenix, AZ

Republicans work hard to defeat President Obama and his healthcare bill but haven't lifted one hand to help Americans get jobs. That to me is the height of hypocrisy.

March 23, 2012 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

New Age Independent wrote:

-------------–
    Bill Clinton attempted health care reform and was blocked by Republicans. Jimmy Carter attempted healh care reform and was blocked by Republicans. Lyndon Johnson attempted health care reform and was blocked by Republicans, so he was forced to create Medicare instead to protect our seniors. Meanwhile, over that same time span Republicans did what for health care reform? Nothing, except protect the health care insurance industry. The buy "across state lines" proposal is an insult to our intelligence.

March 23, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. Lisa P

Howard

March 23, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
    ---------------------------------------------–
    The country is only "evenly divided" if you conveniently overlook the fact that half of those who are opposed to the Affordable Care Act are unhappy because we feel it doesn't go far enough. And, interestingly, when Americans are asked point-by-point on the various measures that actually make up the ACA there is overwhelming support for all of them, which tells you that most of the opposition is about politics - poor messaging by the Obama team, unending negative propaganda and lies from the GOP - not policy.

Now that the GOP's attacks on contraceptives have gotten the attention of half the voting population I expect "Obamacare" is about to get a second, much more favorable look.

March 23, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

New Age Independent wrote:

--------------------

March 23, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. Thomas

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus must have been bullied as a child .

It's so easy to tear an idea down then it is to make it succeed.

Mitt Romney / George Bush
    2012

March 23, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  21. TSK

I've said it before Ill say it again: here come the Koch Bros.

March 23, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. Fair is Fair

"I had a $5 co-pay in 2001 for office visits and prescriptions. I was paying a $15 co-pay for office visits and $25-50 co-pay for prescriptions in 2008. You don't have to buy into my claim. You can look at your own costs over the same time frame."
    ------
    Blame the ever increasing cost-shifting that providers have to do to offse their losses on Medicare patients.

March 23, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  23. w l jones

Not one of none production people that running all over the country giving up theirs tax payer write off healthcare ins urance. Said enough.

March 23, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

---------------
    Care providers are not health insurers. What does my insurance co-pay have to do with Medicare? Nothing.

I blame the ever increasing cost shifting on providing that free care conservatives love to speak about to those people who do not have any health care.

March 23, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

How come no one is defending the lack of Republican plan for health care reform?
    Maybe, because suggesting that people be allowed to go across state lines is a complete joke?

March 23, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |