October 25th, 2012

Obama casts early ballot in Chicago

Chicago (CNN) - President Barack Obama made a brief stop in Chicago Thursday to cast his presidential ballot, 12 days ahead of Election Day.

He entered the Martin Luther King Community Center around 4:10 p.m. local time, shaking hands with poll workers and telling them he appreciated their work. After filling out the requisite paperwork, and presenting a photo ID ("Notice there's no grey in that picture"), he walked over to the electronic voting machine and made his selections.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

- Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Chatting with the workers at his polling station, Obama talked up the benefits of voting early, saying people "don't have to take time off work, they can arrange it around their schedule."

Obama is the first presidential candidate to vote early, and his stop at the polling center reflects his campaign's push to get supporters to cast ballots ahead of November 6. In an email to supporters Thursday morning, Obama wrote "This afternoon, I'm casting my ballot in my hometown of Chicago. I'm told I'll be the first sitting president to take advantage of early voting. And I can't wait," before encouraging recipients to also register and vote early.

"For all of you who have not yet early voted, I just wanted you to see how efficient a process this was," the president said on his way out.

"I can't tell you who I voted for," he added.

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

- McCain says Mourdock endorsement up in the air

- Obama: The 'other guy' is a 'bulls**ter'

- Romney beats back on 'horses and bayonets'

- Obama's Facebook warning

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Gurgyl

Great. Go obama12.

October 25, 2012 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. Betty Phillips

It sickened me to hear Obama say he voted in his home town, what a bag of horse dung!!! If Obama is a homeboy from Illinois then what woulld my children be due to the fact that they were born in the late 60s in ILLINOIS,

October 25, 2012 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  3. Michael A. Eaddy

Thanks Mr.President! I plan to vote early,since me and the 1st Lady the first 2 that left a comment,yet! Some can go over board with comments...but you will win sir,Im like you in a way, work hard and really understand the American Dream! Great Job on how your handing the country...lets keep workin our way up!

October 25, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  4. sh00tz

I'm sure he voted for the only eligible candidate ROMNEY!

October 25, 2012 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  5. God

I told him to write me in. He did.

October 25, 2012 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. Anonymous

So what do they think of Obama now? He blamed it on the movie at the United Nations in front of the world. He said it without concern for the problems it might cause in other countries. What respect does the world have for Americans if we support this wag the dog(world) act from our President?

October 25, 2012 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  7. Done deal

Yeah. I wonder who he voted for? must have been for Nader

October 25, 2012 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  8. barb

I hope he met with the mayor of Chicago, to discuss the horrific murder rate, that no one istalking about. The Mayor would do better to worry less about the Presidential election and get his own backyard cleaned up. Was the murder rate this high under his predecessor?

October 25, 2012 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  9. Willard

I don't Michelle, I will vote for the same person! Now, you can continue to wonder!

October 25, 2012 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  10. liberal disease

i did too, and it wasn't for him

October 25, 2012 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  11. Polar Bear

Now, really? We seriously aren't considering giving Obama another term, are we? C'mon! Time for us to grow up! We might like the guy and feel good about having voted for him in the past, but we need to get over our affection and get a true leader in there that will help guide us out of the mess we're in. I don't want "likeable," I want "effective." Obama's done nothing of substance in his first four year, why would we think the next would be any different?

October 25, 2012 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  12. j0eschm0e

and just yesterday headlines said obama is not going to vote. flip flop flip flopflip flop, starting to think he is part fish out of water

October 25, 2012 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. melsystech

Obama wins US 2012 Election
    Obama
    total: 302

Romney
    total: 236

October 25, 2012 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Mr.RomneysDog

I bet he voted for Romeny

The Right Chice For America

October 25, 2012 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." --B. Obama

He probably screwed that up as well.

October 25, 2012 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. McBob79

he number of American workers collecting federal disability insurance benefits hit yet another record high in October, according to the Social Security Administration.

This month 8,803,335 disabled workers are collecting benefits, up from the previous record of 8,786,049 set in September.

In February 2009, the first full month after President Barack Obama took office, there were 7,469,240 workers collecting federal disability insurance. Thus, so far in Obama’s term, the number of workers collecting disability has increased by 1,334,095. That works out to a net increase of about 29,646 per month (1,334,095 divided by 45 months), or an average increase of about 975 per day (1,334,095 divided by 1,369 days).

October 25, 2012 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. NameNC_Right

Obana is a punk....and will be a sore loser

October 25, 2012 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  18. Big E

Today in Chicago, An African-American voter was asked for acceptable ID, which he provided and was allowed to vote. The sky did not fall and no one attempted to disenfranchise him. What a ridiculous system. After voting, he traveled to Democratic headquarters Arlington, VA and cast 100 more votes for people who did not intend to vote there. The system is working just fine.

October 25, 2012 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  19. SurfNturf

Am sure he enjoyed his last vote as the prez. ROMNEY 12

October 25, 2012 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  20. DaveinIL

The good news is that his vote in Illinois is meaningless amongst all the votes from the dead Democrats that would elect him anyways.

October 25, 2012 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  21. Penny Wright

George W. Bush inherited a strong economy, a budget surplus, and a nation at peace.

Eight years later, he left Obama with a shattered economy, a trillion dollar deficit, and two useless wars.

Obama saved the country from another Great Depression, rebuilt GM, reformed healthcare, reformed Wall Street, doubled the stock market, created 12 straight quarters of GDP growth, created 32 straight months of private sector job growth, got Bin Laden, got Gaddafi, and got us out of Iraq.

And now with the automatic spending cuts and the expiration of the Bush tax cuts in 2012, Obama has solved the deficit problem as well.

Obama has done a very good job.

October 25, 2012 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  22. johnquepublique

...and often? It is the Chicago way.

October 25, 2012 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  23. jeff tartt

I noticed he had to show his ID?

October 25, 2012 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  24. Antonio

Go Obama, Mitt wants to put more troops in Afghanistan, while Obama wants to take them out, and Mitt is only gonna help the wealthy, but O bama is gonna tax the rich to give more jobs.

VOTE OBAMA

October 25, 2012 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  25. USwatcher

I am sure you made a wise decision on your choice Mr.President...especially considering that Romney is "completely wrong" for America.

October 25, 2012 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |