November 26th, 2012
11:56 AM ET
10 years ago

GOP resistance to anti-tax pledge grows

Washington (CNN) - Is it a slow leak that will grow into a cascade, or a minor drip easily plugged?

More and more, conservative Republicans in Congress are breaking from a pledge they signed years earlier against any kind of tax increase or additional tax revenue.


Filed under: Fiscal Cliff • Grover Norquist
soundoff (28 Responses)
  1. CanadaONE

    WOW – USA if I were you I would scrap this story line – it makes you look OLD and oudated

    can someone ask Norquist – when does he want to join the 21st century – Hitler tried those tatics and he LOST

    November 26, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. just askin

    >The federal government is an inanimate object. It doesn't "want" anything.

    you're joking right? it is designed to want and get whatever it needs via laws and regulations. there are automatic cost of living increases, etc. there are never demands to stop providing things once they are started. there are always new demands for more and more government supplied services or funding. my question is when and where does the growing and taking end? people will always want more if some else is paying for it. at what point does government say enough? it seems like if 51% of the people can vote to take everything from the other 49% of the people that the cycle will not end until the 49% becomes 0% and the 51% becomes 100%.

    >In case you haven't noticed, it has shrunk >considerably since Mr. Obama came into office,
    >and is smaller, and more cost effective than it was under Mr. Bush.

    no, not really and not true. obama has made permanent the tarp spending of $800 billion. that was supposed to be one time spending that was paid back but obama has made it a permanent increase in govermnet spending. more than a bit deceitful don't you think?

    November 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. w l jones

    More and more GOP have decided to be an American first not a party work for we the people of our great country for all American. Bless.

    November 26, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
1 2