April 14th, 2013

Jenna Bush Hager gives birth to baby girl

(CNN) – Former first couple George W. and Laura Bush said Sunday they were "elated" at the news their daughter Jenna had given birth to a girl.

"Laura and I are thrilled to announce the birth of our grandchild, Margaret Laura 'Mila' Hager," the first-time grandparents wrote in a statement, noting the new addition to the Bush family was named for her grandmothers.

"She was born last night, April 13, at 8:43pm in New York City. We met our beautiful granddaughter today. Jenna and Mila are healthy. And our family is elated," they continued.

Jenna Bush Hager, 31, announced in December that she was expecting her first child, who is also the first grandchild for the former president and his wife. At the time, she said she was "nervous and so excited" about the pregnancy.

"I'm a first-time mom, but it's something I've always wanted. I'm a teacher and I love kids," Bush Hager said on NBC's "Today Show," where she is a contributor.

She appeared on the show with her husband, Henry Hager, whom she married in 2008 on her family's 1,600-acre ranch in Crawford, Texas. Hager said his wife would "instill wonderful values" in their new baby.

The former president, who phoned into the show along with his wife, Laura, declared he was "fired up" about becoming a grandfather but that he wasn't planning on changing any diapers in the near future.

"I'll be the guy in the Ford 250 driving around the ranch with the grandchild," George W. Bush said.

Later this month, the 43rd president will open his presidential library, situated on the campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

Filed under: George W. Bush • Jenna Bush
  1. Dave

One of the greatest US Presidents in history. And an exemplary family man. Congrats W! God Bless.

April 15, 2013 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  2. wildbunny

i love jenna, she is top notch – congratulations!!

CNN could you have found a more flattering photo of her?

April 15, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  3. EdwardTr

I find the remark "his wife would instill wonderful values" little weird for a dad-to-be to say. Granted it might have been one of the ten things he said, so it might sound different in context. However to me it is equivalent to a Soviet mom saying she will raise her child with communist values “another one for the cause”. When I spoke to my wife before my daughter was born I told her she was going to be a great mom and my daughter is going to be one lucky girl.
    All things said, congrats to the Bushes I hope it is a healthy happy child.
    Ps. I still do not like you George.

April 15, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  4. dctwmt

Who cares????

April 15, 2013 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  5. Wake up People!

So this is what passes for political news these days??

April 15, 2013 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  6. Matthew

On the birthday of Kim Il Sung, the founder of North Korea, no less.

April 15, 2013 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  7. JackZ333

It is hard to celebrate a life, in a family that is responsible for so many deaths.

April 15, 2013 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  8. Kathy from KBL

Who cares.

April 15, 2013 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  9. msosborn

And the rest of the world cares, why?

April 15, 2013 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  10. mark

Why is this news ?

April 15, 2013 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  11. Mortimer

This is the last thing the country needs.

April 15, 2013 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  12. Len

Congratulations!!!! Happy for the entire family!

April 15, 2013 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  13. pchelp, Juneau, AK

Who cares?

April 15, 2013 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  14. griff-griff

I wish her grandfather could have left her a better world to be born into. She will somehow pay the price for the WMD debacle and the thousands of lives lost and even more permanently injured. She was born rich with all of the ammenities that befall the one percent, while children of slain military men and women face a possible downward spiral in their lifestyles because of her grandfather's hunger for an unjust war. To Jenna, I think you have one of the most admirable jobs in the world in being a teacher. Since you don't need the money, why not volunteer at a DoD school somewhere and teach kids whose lives have been changed by your father's inability to lead and make sound decisions. And do not inform the media that you are doing it for photo opportunities. Just do it as a way of giving back to people that I am quite sure your father has forgotten about. BTW, congrats to you and your husband.

April 15, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  15. Paul

I would like to thank the people who responded to these comments. Over at MSNBC instead of congratulations its nothing but hateful comments towards people with whom they have never met. At least on cnn.com there is hope that not all liberals are hateful towards the other party.

April 15, 2013 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  16. clarke

Nothing like grand babies! Enjoy every second.

April 15, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  17. Gloria

Congratulations to both families! She is a beautiful little girl!

April 15, 2013 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  18. Al-NY,NY

the kids already got a higher IQ than her maternal grandfather

April 15, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  19. bcrunner

Congratulations to Jenna!! You will be a wonderful mother!!

As for George W., who cares!! You will always be the worst president EVER!!

April 15, 2013 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  20. Carrie O'Key

Good for her. She is a sweet girl and deserves all good things.

April 15, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  21. bruce

Who cares. Babies are born everyday. How about real news?

April 15, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  22. Belinda

Congratulations on you precious new baby girl. I pray the ugliness of this world, that is so apparent by these comments, will fade away before this little baby becomes an adult. May people mature and create a nicer, happier, more loving world for the children of today. God bless little one.

April 15, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  23. Jean

MSNBC is so pointless everyone knows the only thing posted over there will be ignorant comments. CNN is pretty pointless too when they portray stuff like this as news. Nothing against the Bush family and I wish them all well (GW was a great President, at least I felt safe, unlike now) but its not news.

April 15, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. KBNJ

"Gives Birth"? Sound sort of cold and mechanical to you, maybe a bit animalistic? Does to me. Search CNN headlines for related topic and here's what you get:
    Dax Shepard, Kristen Bell welcome baby girl
    Wiz Khalifa, Amber Rose welcome baby boy
    Shakira, Gerard Pique welcome baby boy
    Rosie O'Donnell, Michelle Rounds welcome baby
    Claire Danes, Hugh Dancy welcome baby boy
    Elizabeth Banks, husband welcome baby Magnus
    Nick and Vanessa Lachey welcome a baby

April 15, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  25. mbane

Congrats. Too bad your daddy killed the children of over 100 thousand people. How does it feel to be the daughter of a war criminal?

April 15, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |