Donald Trump: I would spend ‘whatever it took’ to win White House
August 11th, 2013

Donald Trump: I would spend ‘whatever it took’ to win White House

(CNN) – He flirted with a presidential run that never materialized in 2012, but Donald Trump is again making forays - serious or otherwise - into White House politics.

The real estate mogul and reality television host trekked to Iowa this weekend, along with other potential 2016 candidates Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, to speak at the evangelical Family Leader Conference.

And he told ABC News that he was willing to spend big on a presidential campaign - that is, if he decides to run for real this time.

“If I did it, I'd spend whatever it took,” Trump told ABC’s “This Week.”

Claiming a fortune of more than $10 billion, the magnate said voters would see a candidate who has “built a great company with a tremendous net worth.”

Many voters, however, still see Trump as the loudest backer of the “birther” movement, which questions President Barack Obama’s birthplace and thus his eligibility to serve as commander in chief.

Trump’s unfulfilled run for the 2012 Republican nomination included his demand that Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

The president previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning, the president released it in April 2011.

Noting he’s still not convinced the long form certificate is legitimate, Trump said in the interview Sunday that the “birther” issue wouldn’t disqualify him as a candidate, despite widespread condemnation of the issue from most Republicans.

“How does that make me not serious? I mean, I think that resonated with a lot of people,” he said.

During his address at the Family Leader event Saturday, Trump predicted a tough presidential contest in 2016, no matter the GOP candidate.

“Somebody is going to have to emerge who is really smart and really tough,” he said. “Because Obama should have been beaten. Hillary is going to be tougher to beat. And the Republicans have to do what's right. If they don't pick the right person, and I mean, it has to be the perfect person, they are going to get dropped in the 2016 election.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • Iowa
  1. pastafaria

Based on more credible estimates of Trump's net worth, and bearing in mind that most if it is tied up in illiquid assets such as real estate and trademarks/royalties, "whatever it took" would be of little consequence to a presidential election, especially when you consider backlash flood of donations that his opponent would inevitably rake in.

August 11, 2013 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  2. Tom Buchanan

August 11, 2013 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  3. Tom Buchanan

Based on more credible estimates of Trump's net worth, and bearing in mind that most if it is tied up in illiquid assets such as real estate and trademarks/royalties, "whatever it took" would be of little consequence to a presidential election.

August 11, 2013 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  4. Jason Cutler

"Somebody is going to have to emerge who is really smart and really tough"

Well I guess I don't have to worry about him becoming president.

August 11, 2013 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  5. Sandy

You go Donald and do not change your mind I am behind you 100%. If you need help here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin contact me via e-mail, I would love to help. You can have me for 24 hours a day to get this ball rolling and I mean rollingf

Sandy

August 12, 2013 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  6. bluemountain

How much does DT pay for this publicity?

August 12, 2013 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  7. Name Matt Johnson

I'm fine with him running as long as he doesn't win.

August 12, 2013 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  8. GIGI

I wouldn't trust this guy with my kids' lemon stand money.. talk about running a country? I don't think we, Americans are not that stupid.. Hope NOT!!

August 12, 2013 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  9. Sandy

If anyone can change this world it is you. I believe in you from day one. If I lived in New York I would of applied to work for you. My son who has disablilities is also available to work. We are a team here and you can count on us. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Sandy and Rich

August 12, 2013 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  10. dick Delson

He has two chances of being elected President. Slim and none. He is such a joke.

August 12, 2013 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  11. Mark

Incredible...again he wants to go at it. The last time he "somewhat" tried, he backed out when the numbers were not there, why does he think they would be now? He was right about two things though. First, Hillary *will* – whether you love her or hate her – be much tougher to beat than Obama. Which leads to the 2nd statement

"And the Republicans have to do what's right. If they don't pick the right person, and I mean, it has to be the perfect person, they are going to get dropped in the 2016 election.”

Whether your Dem or GOP, he still sums it up about right. They better get it right.

August 12, 2013 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  12. Jeb

Trump is a con-artist.

August 12, 2013 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  13. Mary and Joe

Anyone but the wicked witch of the west, Hillary "Rod-A-Man" Clinton.

August 12, 2013 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  14. Yogi Berra

If Trump ever becomes president, I'm moving to Canada.

August 12, 2013 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  15. Tim

Does this man ALWAYS forget to take his medications?

August 12, 2013 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  16. David Witcraft

He's a master of self delusion! A complete hypocrite who got rich developing property in blighted areas with the same government assistance he now derides. He's been broke and practically defrauding his lenders and business partners countless times. He's a real guiding light!

August 12, 2013 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  17. bob

i'm a life long registered republican. if trump wins the nomination for the gop ticket for 2016 i'm renouncing my citizenship and moving to either iran or france.

August 12, 2013 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  18. Lisa H

Doesn't matter how much he would spend or what he would do. Enough people in this country see him for the clown he is that they wouldn't vote for him even if he paid them.

August 12, 2013 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  19. Beni

Does his toupe have a birth certificate?

August 12, 2013 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  20. Anonymous

So, like, LITERALLY trying to buy the Presidency? Yeah, that reflects well on Trump's convictions.

August 12, 2013 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  21. Michael Benjamin

It is totally irrelevant, Trump will never be president.

August 12, 2013 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  22. Bill in Florida

Donald, please go away.

August 12, 2013 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  23. Linda

Doesn't matter what he would spend. He'll never occupy the oval office.

August 12, 2013 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  24. mountainlady

I think this is a terrifying testimony to the accusations against the GOP that money is all that drives their party. Let me see a show of hands. Does any thinking American want Donald Trump running the country??? Is that all America has come to mean? We're a corporation dedicated to money rather than a nation?

August 12, 2013 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  25. Jim Quinn

OMG!! It's like a bad comedy troop. Even if you manage to pick the best of that lot all you'll have is a joke.

Pagan jim