Donald Trump: I would spend ‘whatever it took’ to win White House
August 11th, 2013

Donald Trump: I would spend ‘whatever it took’ to win White House

(CNN) – He flirted with a presidential run that never materialized in 2012, but Donald Trump is again making forays - serious or otherwise - into White House politics.

The real estate mogul and reality television host trekked to Iowa this weekend, along with other potential 2016 candidates Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, to speak at the evangelical Family Leader Conference.

And he told ABC News that he was willing to spend big on a presidential campaign - that is, if he decides to run for real this time.

“If I did it, I'd spend whatever it took,” Trump told ABC’s “This Week.”

Claiming a fortune of more than $10 billion, the magnate said voters would see a candidate who has “built a great company with a tremendous net worth.”

Trump’s unfulfilled run for the 2012 Republican nomination included his demand that Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

The president previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning, the president released it in April 2011.

Noting he’s still not convinced the long form certificate is legitimate, Trump said in the interview Sunday that the “birther” issue wouldn’t disqualify him as a candidate, despite widespread condemnation of the issue from most Republicans.

“How does that make me not serious? I mean, I think that resonated with a lot of people,” he said.

During his address at the Family Leader event Saturday, Trump predicted a tough presidential contest in 2016, no matter the GOP candidate.

“Somebody is going to have to emerge who is really smart and really tough,” he said. “Because Obama should have been beaten. Hillary is going to be tougher to beat. And the Republicans have to do what's right. If they don't pick the right person, and I mean, it has to be the perfect person, they are going to get dropped in the 2016 election.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • Iowa
  1. Name Uche Agonsi

NO BODY IS EITHER THE RIGHT OR PERFECT PERSON FOR THE POTUS AMONG THE REPUBS IN 2016, even with all their wealth put together. Their chance migh graciously be in the next generation .

August 12, 2013 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  2. Aaron

Trump loves to talk like a street hooker. Talk is cheap...if you have real balls, run and proof it how good you are. I bet my life you wouldn't last long even if you spend your entire fortune.I have been sick and tired of your crap, so please go away.

August 12, 2013 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  3. Chris Boston

Donald Trump and Mitt Romney are who we need in the

August 12, 2013 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  4. Dylan

"Many voters, however, still see Trump as the loudest backer of the “birther” movement, which questions President Barack Obama’s birthplace and thus his eligibility to serve as commander in chief."

Obama's mother was an American citizen and thus that makes Obama an American citizen–it doesn't matter where he was born! And just for the record, Obama was born in Hawaii.

August 12, 2013 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  5. pbernasc

really, who is still stupid enough to fall for the marketing gimmick of this buffoon?
    It must be said, we should thank Trump for showing us so clearly how much of a joke the entire election process has become

August 12, 2013 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  6. Chris Boston

Donald Trump and Mitt Romney are who we need in the White House. These are two who know about job creation and economics in general. We need a President not a "vacation artist." We need someone who will not take any crap from these countries who dislike the U.S. and eliminate all the foreign aid to those who would rather see us gone. We need jobs in this country to get people working again! We do NOT need unemployment benefits lasting 2 years!! It is a benefit of which some take advantage. It is no longer beneficial when a person collects and it ruins their ambition. They become complacent and do not want to settle for anything less than what they previously made. However, settling for something a little less beats waiting until you have nothing.

August 12, 2013 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  7. dubyasux

Run, Donald, run! Please run. We promise not to laugh too hard while you make a laughing stock of yourself and your increasingly insane party.

August 12, 2013 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  8. gosh

this man ... please NO, if he becomes president, we can all leave america.

August 12, 2013 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  9. Dustin

Once we are done with another 4yr stint of high unemployment part time and low paying jobs a ever climbing deficit. While I personally don't like Trump his ability to bring several billion dollars to campaign table and his proven fiscal record would make him a strong candidate. For me personally in this downward economy and high deficit I could personally look past my personal hatred towards trump and vote for him because of his ability to handle fiscal matters.

August 12, 2013 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  10. John C Finley

Why not just resurrect Bozo The Clown. I would rather vote for him than this fake Republican. I cannot think of any person on Duck Dynasty that wouldn't do a better job. Someone should really look into how the Don has gotten this wealthy.

August 12, 2013 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  11. zr1100c3

PLEASE run. It will be hilarious.

August 12, 2013 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  12. John in Brooklyn

Please let him run....If there is a Democratic God in heaven...please let him run!

August 12, 2013 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  13. Bill

First, Trump isn't worth anywhere near $ 10 billion. Most of his holdings are minority ownerships in properties with his name on it for marketing/prestige, but largely paid for and owned by foreign investors. I read a couple of years back his true net worth is somewhere around $ 1-2 billion. Nothing to sneeze at, but not the $ 10b the loud mouth claims. Secondly, this is a guy who wants to strong arm China, the largest foreign holder of our debt. Watch what happens when President Trump tries to dictate policy to the Chinese and they call in the trillions of dollars worth of our debt they hold. Then Trumps' real experience – going through multiple bankruptcies – might actually be useful. Otherwise, let this gasbag spout off his nonsense on his little web videos while his teenaged wife finishes high school and let the grownups tend to the business of running this country.

August 12, 2013 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  14. Anonymous

If Donny is going to run for president, then I think I will, too. I'm the opposite of him financially, I live paycheck to paycheck, have horrid credit now, am disabled and unable to work – even though I'd give my soul to be able. I have no political experience, so I'd be that guy who blurted out the things the government would want people knowing. I have no wife now, no kids (thank god). I do have 2 dogs, though. I can't stand anyone in the government now, so I'd pretty much be trying to get rid of as many of slackers I could. Yup. I'm perfect for the job! Where do I fill out the application? (Yes it was a joke),

August 12, 2013 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  15. mdn7779

Typical right wing political attitude thinking that all they have to do is buy the Presidency! Am I the only one who has a problem with that?

August 12, 2013 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  16. sue

GO TRUMP GO
    but don't hate on the LGBT like most republicans.
    show them the love and you'll get elected.
    me

August 12, 2013 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  17. Thomas B.

The "birther" issue is ONLY an issue for Donald Trump because he's racist. Period. And it's eating away at him day after day that there's a black man as Commander In Chief/President of the United States instead of a pasty white guy in that office. Put up or shut up, Trump.

August 12, 2013 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  18. don

The person that is picked will have to be ask perfect as Obama, or Bush. Or Weiner.

August 12, 2013 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  19. DOS

Living proof that negative attention is better than no attention. Trump is the poster child for Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

August 12, 2013 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  20. komlan

wonders shall never end, I do not expect Trump to venture into that journey... it will be though for him

August 12, 2013 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  21. BD70

You cannot spread lies Trump and still be considered believable. Save your money, I highly doubt you are the perfect person to run for president against anyone on the dem side let alone Hillary.

August 12, 2013 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  22. BJNJ

Trump can get his fellow buffoon, the "rev" Al Sharpton to run as VP. Two birds of the same flock! Trump's a clown trying for attention. BJNJ

August 12, 2013 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  23. James Anderson

We don't have a need for another tax dodge in White house.

August 12, 2013 06:09 am at 6:09 am |
  24. Dave

Chump has money but no ideas. He's also an idiot. His arrogance is so profound that he is unable to see himself as others see him. More than money, what he needs is a make-over. I'm not even talking about his hair, but a complete make-over of his personality. But even then, I sincerely don't believe that he could ever remake himself to the extent that he wouldn't be repulsive to the majority of voters. No amount of money spent could ever overcome this.

August 12, 2013 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  25. zanny

Why does Evangelical and Donald Trump not fit in the same sentence????????? Poor man his reality show is over (I guess) and the ratings are probably way down as most Americans are smarter than that and he desperately needs attention So here we go again. Anthony Weiner is the only political candidate lower on the political roll than him. For someone who is so brilliant when it comes to making money, why can he not see what a fool he makes of himself in politics. Wow I remember how much his endorsement helped Mitt Romney win the Presidency or not.

August 12, 2013 06:26 am at 6:26 am |