Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'
October 11th, 2013

Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'

(CNN) - Exactly how disgusted is Chris Christie with the total lack of compromise in Washington?

"If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself," the Republican governor of New Jersey told the Philadelphia Inquirer's editorial board. The response came when Christie was asked what he would do if he was a member of the upper chamber during the current crisis.

"This is why I've never had any interest in being in a legislative body," the Philadelphia Inquirer quotes Christie as saying.

Christie, considered a likely 2016 contender for the Republican presidential nomination, is currently sailing ahead in the polls in his reelection fight with Democratic state Sen. Barbara Buono.

In the shutdown fight, Christie has strayed far from the Republican talking points on the brinksmanship between President Barack Obama and Congressional Republicans.

While no fan of Obamacare, Christie said late last month he also wasn't a fan of the Republican tactics that helped lead to the shutdown.

"I think quite frankly, to be fair, I don't think you hear responsible Republican leaders advocating a shutdown of the government," Christie told CBS News.

Christie has been equally critical of Obama, calling on the President to show more leadership than Christie has seen.

"My approach would be, as the executive, is to call in the leaders of the Congress, the legislature, whatever you're dealing with, and say we're not leaving this room until we fix this problem, because I'm the boss. I'm in charge," Christie said of the negotiations at an event for the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation.

"No matter where the partisanship is, the failure is in people not bringing people together to get it done," added Christie.

–CNN's Bryan Koenig contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. Dan J

Wow a pragmatic politician. Haven't seen that since Clinton.

October 11, 2013 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  2. E. Angus

You folks are so funny. Christie is a blowhard and a wind bag. I wouldn't vote for him if he was the last man standing.

I am not of the Tea Party folk but, I admire that they are standing on what they campaigned on. Getting the debt ceiling under control and bringing the bloated government workforce to a managable level. That takes guts and integrity. I may not get my SS check according to the Dems and I will have to live with that. It will be tough but, so be it.

By the way, I am a registered Dem and voted for Obama the first time with a lot of hope. I didn't vote at all the second time because I don't much care for Paul Ryan.

October 11, 2013 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  3. kerfluffle

I like the guy. He has some firebrand in him and practices bipartisanship as well as can be expected. America should be happy that there is a non-whackjob potentially competing for the job.

October 11, 2013 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. steve-0

The Tea Party is the s___ of this country. A vote for a republican for congress is the worst thing you can do to this nation.

October 11, 2013 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  5. Fred Flintstone

Don't bother dieting, you won't have to bother with suicide.

October 11, 2013 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  6. Quixote

Hmmm".......could that be arranged?

October 11, 2013 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  7. Quixote

The prez is NOT the boss. Looks like this Jersey loudmouth hooligan needs a civics lesson.

October 11, 2013 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. Robert

Perhaps Mr. Christie needs to brush up on his understanding of the separation of powers in the government. The President is not the boss of Congress. The whack jobs in the House have been ignoring the President for 5 years...why would they start paying attention now. This is empty rhetoric.

October 11, 2013 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. BK-KnightRider

What Christie seems totally incapable of understanding is the reality that the POTUS has ZERO authority over the members of Congress. In other words, the President cannot lock the leaders of Congress in a room with him and then say they are not leaving the room until they solve the problem because he is "the boss." Conservatives already stupidly whine about how the President supposedly acts like a dictator. If he tried to pull a stunt like that they would then be screaming about how he is a dictator who illegally kidnaps members of the Legislative Branch. I don't think Christie really understands or appreciates just how irrational some of his fellow Republicans really are.

October 11, 2013 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Anonymous

he's funny!!! hahaha

October 11, 2013 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  11. fatso

He is funny !!!

October 11, 2013 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  12. AK

Chris Christie... bleh.. Another wannabe GOP puppet with no spine... Nobody cares what you have to say and you won't be a presidential contender anytime this century. Maybe you should worry more about that GUT and YOUR health before anything else. Hillary would walk all over you and school you doing it. 2016 looks dismal having to choose between those two corrupt terrorist politicians....

October 11, 2013 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. LOLFace

You guys are hilarious. And i mean that in the worst possible way you can take it

October 11, 2013 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  14. virginiapicker

Didn't realize that the President was the "boss" of the Legislative Branch. For some reason I thought he was the boss of the Executive Branch. Who knew?

October 11, 2013 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. Blame the victim?

"the failure is in people not bringing people together"

It's not the fault of those that walked AWAY from the table and shut down the government? Sorry, you stupid, fat Republicow, this is YOUR PARTY that did this and that's where the fault lies – not in those who failed to bring the insane to heel.

October 11, 2013 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  16. Guest

Because he's a moderate, he won't win the nomination. The party has moved way out into the right horizon. Instead they'll find another extremist who will lose in the general election. Oh well. Perhaps it's time for me to change party affiliation and register as either a dem or at least independent. Where did my party go?

October 11, 2013 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  17. New Jerseeee

Gov, I appreciate what you are saying, but that is coming from the cheap seats. The Baggers are attacking the US on every front. Sometimes you just gotta wage a war on them until they yell for their mamas

October 11, 2013 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  18. jake

president Obama is leading the country. grover norquist and rush limbaugh are leading the teapublicans – by their political gonads.........

October 11, 2013 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  19. Ron

Can't get respect from the Rethuglicans, they don't even respect one another! I heard a couple of them even sold their kids baseball field so a corporation could build a building, they said, I grew up in the streets so can they!!

October 11, 2013 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  20. mikethe5thgrader

So, he wants to be president. You can see what he'd do in tough situations, off himself. How stupid! If he recants, just means he's a stupid liar.

October 11, 2013 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  21. rml;

christie – you are a joke... just go back to letting your own state self destruct ... go away... your opinion ceased to be important as soon as you showed you could not be trusted

October 11, 2013 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  22. Name Uche Agonsi

If Christie kills himself as a Senator, the US Senate would not die with him and their problems might live on. Christie, however, did not tell us what he would do if he were in the House of Reps. The Repubs' misfortune is that their members worship the DEVIL. They swallowed the Devil lucre hook and sinker, and there is no going back. The ongoing negotiation is a case in point. The party are virtually by eternal problems from selling their conscience and even afraid of letting the public know what exactly the want from Obama. Impossible demands for Obamacare is only a smokescream for ruining Obama Administration.

October 11, 2013 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  23. airjackie

Gov. Christi thinks his tuff guy Mafia Soprano act will work as President. He is all talk but is mentored by Karl Rove just like George W. Bush. NJ is a mess and Christi has only helped his wealthy donors in the State and those who have summer homes. All Christi has done for the citizens is raise ever State fee and do photo ops while having news stations praise him for getting lap band surgery. As the State is in debt Christi added 24 million because he did not wont Cory Booker Senate races on the same day as the Governors race. Now citizens will see another increase to cover the extra money needed. KKK Tea Party Senator Rand Paul already has his ads running for his Presidential campaign. Mitt Romney announced he has a black grandson and hopes it can get him an extra 3.5% votes to win in 2016.

October 11, 2013 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  24. Anthony Deisla

Christie is the only one making any kind of sense right now. This country needs a moderate President who can govern and get both sides to meet in the middle.

October 11, 2013 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  25. Ross Magerus

Does anyone believe this man would kill himself if he was in the Senate?
    Why? Because the Democrats have the majority there?
    Maybe he should consider that the great state of New Jersey voted for Obama.
    Just another idiotic falsehood and embarrassment for the great state of New Jersey.
    Unfortunately I can't gloat, we have a even bigger idiot governing our state of Oklahoma.

October 11, 2013 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |