Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'
October 11th, 2013

Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'

(CNN) - Exactly how disgusted is Chris Christie with the total lack of compromise in Washington?

"If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself," the Republican governor of New Jersey told the Philadelphia Inquirer's editorial board. The response came when Christie was asked what he would do if he was a member of the upper chamber during the current crisis.

"This is why I've never had any interest in being in a legislative body," the Philadelphia Inquirer quotes Christie as saying.

Christie, considered a likely 2016 contender for the Republican presidential nomination, is currently sailing ahead in the polls in his reelection fight with Democratic state Sen. Barbara Buono.

In the shutdown fight, Christie has strayed far from the Republican talking points on the brinksmanship between President Barack Obama and Congressional Republicans.

While no fan of Obamacare, Christie said late last month he also wasn't a fan of the Republican tactics that helped lead to the shutdown.

"I think quite frankly, to be fair, I don't think you hear responsible Republican leaders advocating a shutdown of the government," Christie told CBS News.

Christie has been equally critical of Obama, calling on the President to show more leadership than Christie has seen.

"My approach would be, as the executive, is to call in the leaders of the Congress, the legislature, whatever you're dealing with, and say we're not leaving this room until we fix this problem, because I'm the boss. I'm in charge," Christie said of the negotiations at an event for the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation.

"No matter where the partisanship is, the failure is in people not bringing people together to get it done," added Christie.

–CNN's Bryan Koenig contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. Skarphace

"My approach would be, as the executive, is to call in the leaders of the Congress, the legislature, whatever you're dealing with, and say we're not leaving this room until we fix this problem, because I'm the boss. I'm in charge," Christie said.

Ok, until now I was one of those Democrats that was a fan of Christie and hoping that he would run for President in 2016, but this is rediculous. The President is not "the boss" of Congress. Christie thinks he can demand that the Congress leaders meet with him until an agreement is made? He would have a rude awakening as POTUS.

October 12, 2013 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  2. N Vinny Veritas

Anybody else remember old unelected Grover Norquist recommending [about a year ago] that the House should keep the President in-check by only authorizing payment of the nation's debt in 4-week increments- so that they could extract maximum toll from him [and fulfill Grover's dream of making our government so small he could "drown it in his bathtub"?

It's time to rekindle the old U.S. Revolutionary era tactic- start the pots of tar boiling, gather the feathers, and get the rails ready for the grossly un-American Grover Norquist, the Koch brothers, and the Tea Party congressmen and women- who have brought this country's [and the world's] economies to the brink of collapse.
    There must be real consequences for such deliberately destructive behavior.
    I am certain this comment will never see the light of day.

October 12, 2013 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  3. CGDoc

Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary situation.

October 12, 2013 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  4. Gilmore

Have another Twinkie and some more donuts, Governor, and you may get your wish.

October 12, 2013 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  5. PREMAL D.SHAH

At least now we know what type of people these Republicans are. Spineless crap!

October 12, 2013 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  6. Nodack

So all Obama has to do is order them to get it done because he is the boss? Thanks Christy. Sounds like a foolproof plan.

October 12, 2013 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  7. Anonymous

Fair tax/flat tax, do away with irs and obama care fix outrageous medical lawsuits and get americans back to work after all the illegal basturds are shipped home wwith knowledge that if they jump the border again the will be deported to the antartic with only a three week food supply and a canoe to get home

October 12, 2013 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  8. Jesten

Christie, your Jersey Shore is showing again

October 12, 2013 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  9. NameFrommiami

He will never ever be President so why care what he says unless you live in New Jersey?

October 12, 2013 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  10. used to like christie

used to like this guy.
    now power has completely gotten to his head!
    nothing but a bully now.

food for thought:
    he touts lower taxes and pension reform.
    is that why toms river taxes went up 40% (in one year!)
    and he has a few dozen "double dippers" (taking pension & pay at the same time),
    within his inner circle?

October 12, 2013 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  11. mikes

Chris Christie for Senate!

October 12, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  12. josebear

If Obama is such a good guy working with both side.Why is his rating 37%.

October 12, 2013 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  13. bob

why wait til you are in the Senate...why not just do it NOW

October 12, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  14. russedav5

That'll never happen since 0bamanation is an infantile, fascist incompetent; he couldn't lead the way out of a place with ten foot holes in it.

October 12, 2013 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  15. ros10

I don't know about this Cuban guy Cruz from Texas or this Utah guy Lee, but since I live here in Florida I know this Cuban
    guy Rubio is not going to get another term in the Senate.

October 12, 2013 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  16. Leland Fox

Christie for Senator!

October 12, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  17. jerseyproud

Are you kidding me? Christie is the most spiteful, grudge holding, my way or the highway politician in the business. He would use the bully pulpit completely to his advantage. Bringing people to the table....we're not idiots Chris. We've seen what you consider bi-partisan.

October 12, 2013 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  18. wayne fowler

maybe the leadership of the Republican Party should do that to the tea party idiots, stand up to them and recapture the grand ole party!!!!!

October 12, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  19. Badgerbyte

Is that right Mr. Christie? Seriously? Then by all means make this trip!

October 12, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  20. eamonkelly

Why wait, fat boy?

October 12, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  21. eamonkelly

Maybe that was a bit harsh. Christie is an ex-prosecutor and a blowhard politician.and like Obama, will do and say anything he can to get the desired result. The congress decides the budget, not the Executive. Spare us the histrionics, big guy and allow the process to work because just in case you haven't noticed, the country isn't falling apart during the slowdown.

October 12, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. MJW

The President has done that over and over again. You as the brash person you are should call upon your fellow republicans and specifically the speaker and let them know that what they are doing is stupid and anti-American. How can you stop people from working but offer to pay them for the time they were off when they come back to work. How stupid is that? Yesterday I had to listen to a woman plead with me that she will be unable to pay her rent. As you know this does not only affect the Federal Government, it affects other businesses as well. These Republicans are so incompetent it is a shame that they are elected to responsible positions and have no idea how to be responsible.

October 12, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  23. Unobtanium

Five plus years the Tea Screamers have been barking NO, and the GOP fell in step.
    Now they want compromise ?
    Why ?
    Because this little stunt backfired and people are going
    to pay in the midterms.
    Nothing like digging your own grave.

October 12, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. cmcle

That would go over very well with a bunch of people who despise Obama and since January 2009 have vowed to destroy his presidency.

October 12, 2013 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  25. Richard Zuendt

Promises, promises, that is all we get from Chris "Fat Boy RINO" Christie. Just once it would be nice to see him carry actually keep a promise. This is a good place to start.

October 12, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am |