CNN Political Ticker

Barbara Bush hopes Jeb won't run for president

(CNN) - If former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush makes a bid for the White House, he may not have his mother's blessing.

Former First Lady Barbara Bush said in an interview with C-SPAN on Thursday that the United States needs to expand the number of families holding the nation's highest political office beyond her own, as well as the Clintons and Kennedys.

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker']

"I think this is a great American country, great country, and if we can't find more than two or three families to run for high office, that's silly, because there are great governors and great eligible people to run," she said.

Though her son is certainly qualified to run for president, the former first lady said, "I hope he won't."

"Because I think he'll get all my enemies (and) all his brother's,” she continued. “And there are other families. I refuse to accept that this great country isn't raising other wonderful people."

And her son delivered quite the comeback later Thursday.

This isn't the first time the former first lady has indicated it would be best if her son did not seek the presidency. Her most recent comments on her son's presidential prospects underscore sentiments she made public last year.

"We've had enough Bushes," she told NBC's "Today" in April.

Though the former two-term Florida governor is considering running for president in 2016, he's said he still hasn't made up his mind.

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.