Grimm: 'I'm not taking a leave of absence'
April 29th, 2014

Grimm: 'I'm not taking a leave of absence'

Washington (CNN) - One day after being indicted for various charges in a New York federal court, Rep. Michael Grimm returned to Capitol Hill and pledged to stay there.

"I'm back to work doing what the people pay me to do: represent them. So that's what's gonna continue going forward," the New York Republican told CNN.

Grimm stepped down Monday night from his post on the House Financial Services Committee, hours after the second-term Republican, who represents New York's 11th Congressional District, entered a not guilty plea on charges that include mail fraud and hiring undocumented workers.

House Speaker John Boehner told reporters Tuesday that Grimm's committee resignation was the "right decision," but Boehner wouldn't answer questions about whether Grimm should resign.

The congressman was released on bond Monday and promised to fight the charges, which he described as a "political witch hunt."

He also vowed to keep serving in his role as congressman and indicated he planned to continue with his re-election campaign this fall in his district, which includes the entire New York City borough of Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn.

Grimm said Tuesday he resigned from his committee seat because he doesn't want his legal battles to be a "distraction" to the committee's work.

"It's a very important committee. I'm completely committed to it. This is temporary, and I'll be back on the committee soon as this is over," he said.

Asked if he would be willing to take a leave of absence if so requested by House GOP leadership, Grimm said he would not consider that as an option.

"I'm not taking a leave of absence," he said. "I'm here to work and that's what I'm going to continue to do."

Boehner was pressed further Tuesday about Grimm's future and whether the speaker would support the congressman in his re-election fight this fall, but Boehner did not weigh in on the issue.

"I think all members should be held to the highest ethical standards. Mr. Grimm is under indictment. He resigned from his committee assignment. And I think he made the right decision," he said after the GOP gathering.

CNN's Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: Congress • House • John Boehner • Michael Grimm
  1. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

Another reason the current crop of idiots need to be replaced.

April 29, 2014 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    This too shall pass...
    Cooked Republican Congressman: It's what's for dinner.

April 29, 2014 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

I really got a kick when the reporter asked him was he a crook? This guy has mafioso written all over him. He strongarms reporters, pays illegal immigrants under the table and hides vast sums of cash. Sounds like a gumba to me.

April 29, 2014 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. Justanothervoter

I'm back to work doing what the people pay me to do: Defrauding the system.

April 29, 2014 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  5. guest

basically it reads like this: No, I am not going to step down. I am a rich white guy and a registered member of the GOP. We are basically made of teflon, we spend more on main stream media than small countries' GDP, we can spin this to look like Obama is personally committing crimes against me. Even if we are convicted, we own judges that will skim past the rule of law and put up a facade of judicial work before overturning our convictions anyway. If the lower circuit judges cant pass the sniff test, we will just have the high courts clear the way for us to throw more money at the problems or make our crimes legal expressions of the first admenment. Also I agree with Bundy, Obama would have been better off a slave and picking cotton on Mr. Bundy's farm.

April 29, 2014 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  6. sly

Crook Christie, the Grimm Criminal, the Kissing Congressman?

The Ignorant Rancher walkin' around with a dead calf round his neck?
    The Racist Buffoon in the NBA?

Wow ... the Party of Stupid is on a roll this week.

April 29, 2014 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. guest

In the picture he looks like a super villain from Batman or something, the way the shadows cover his face and deep set eyes

April 29, 2014 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  8. Sniffit

"Grimm: 'I'm not taking a leave of absence'"

Wanna bet?

April 29, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. J. Gordon

The congressman said his colleagues "have been great," and he believes their support will "continue.".
    Interpretation: They're afraid of getting investigated themselves.

April 29, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. so much for honesty

This is the worst thing about congress, they don't boot fools like this until they either innocent or guilty, either way he is too much a distraction, get someone in their for the people and not those who only think of themselves.

April 29, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Mopery

America: The best government that money can buy!

April 29, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  12. gisthatright

Such integrity.

April 29, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Tom Bukowski

The Speaker should ask him to go home.

April 29, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. an Iowan

Lets hope you do take a very long leave of absence, IN JAIL!
    This guy is a crook of the worst kind – he stole from American taxpayers.
    and he is not sorry he stole from us, he is only sorry he got caught!

April 29, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. shut up

And if you ask me again, I'll throw you off this balcony...

April 29, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

"While Grimm says he's back to work, he was not seen at the weekly House GOP conference on Tuesday–a meeting he typically attends."

Things that make one go "hmmmmmmmm". To give this dude credit, he's got a lot of defiance built up needing media attention.

April 29, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. robert constant

Republican businessmen do better without immigration reform. Here is their poster boy!

April 29, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. stewart

hey GOP leadership throw this bum out NOW

April 29, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. Serious Truth

"I am not a crook", Oops, wrong politician.

April 29, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  20. stewart

John Bonehead I think all members should be held to the highest ethical standards what a load of BS if they really believed it they would throw this bum OUT today. time to vote everyone out reelect no one

April 29, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. patchum02

where is the demands for remove o wait he's a they are allowed to do this

April 29, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  22. Thatguy371

It's everyone else's fault. It's a partisan witch hunt. I'm really a good guy who's been framed. Blah blah blah blah

April 29, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  23. Chris-E...al

Grimm should just step down he has he has caught that awful dem desease . Symptoms include confusion and drowsiness and fatigue . ?

April 29, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  24. Former Republican

"I'm here to work and that's what I'm going to continue to do."

This Congress has been the least productive in Congressional history. What work do they really think they are doing?

April 29, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  25. davecu

Innocent until proven guilty.
    Then a mandatory maximum!
    OR acquittal.

Who does Rangel still serve?

April 29, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |