(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton defended his wife Wednesday against renewed political tension over the 2012 Benghazi terror attack that left four Americans dead, including the U.S. ambassador.
He also argued there's been disproportionate attention on the deaths compared to diplomatic personnel killed when George W. Bush was president.
"In my opinion Hillary did what she should have done," Clinton said at an event in Washington.
[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker'] [twitter-follow screen_name='KilloughCNN']
The former president praised former secretary of state for creating a review committee that investigated the incident and came up with 29 recommendations, which she "started implementing."
He said the last time diplomatic staff killings became such a public issue was when he was president and terrorists bombed U.S. embassies in Africa.
"So, most Americans don't even know how many American diplomatic personnel were killed when President Bush was president," he said during an on-stage interview at the Peter G. Peterson Foundation's 2014 Fiscal Summit. "They don't know what, if any, after action review was done. What, if any, recommendations were made. What, if any, action was taken to implement those."
According to analysis by Politifact, which references the Global Terrorism Database, 66 people were killed at U.S. embassies and consulates during the Bush years, with the vast majority of them being non-U.S. citizens.
"So I think my advice to everybody involved is to not be defensive and realize what this is and answer the question," Clinton continued.
House Republicans last week voted to form a select committee to investigate the Benghazi attack, and some Republicans have argued that Hillary Clinton, a potential presidential contender in 2016, should be called to testify.