May 22nd, 2014

Obama goes for a walk

(CNN) - President Obama stunned tourists and others outside of the White House as he decided to take a stroll to the nearby Interior Department, accompanied by his sizable security detail.

The White House posted video of the rare outdoor trek, which took place Wednesday.

Obama shook hands, hugged, took photos and passed out White House M&M's to the surprised passers-by.

One woman, who introduced herself as Karen, asked for a picture and said it was "the best day of her life."

"Oh my gosh. Someone's going to think you're like wax," she added, as the photo was being taken.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. ObamaFan

He successfully steered us through some of the toughest years in our history.

May 22, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. Ehsan

you gotta love Obama....

May 22, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  3. Bob in VA

I was on a rare walkabout of my own today, and in the same neighborhood. Where is my news coverage??

May 22, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Kim Nail Little

I LOVE THIS, no matter who our President is!!!! I couldn't stand Dubya but would have been thrilled to meet our President. Our President should do this far more often, whatever city he/she is in. I know the security detail was probably having mini-strokes, but what a great thing to have done.

May 22, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Lizzie

Goodness gracious it's a walk, snap out of it, he was protected by extra security.

May 22, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

Insight

Obama and Pope Francis don't mind to reach out and touch the people. Cool!
    --------------------------
    Hmm, that gives me an idea. Let's buy a POTUS-mobile for those special occasions.

May 22, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. GatorDude

CNN: If the headline was Obama Takes A Hike, you'd get more clicks.

May 22, 2014 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. Erin

He is human, just like the rest of us.

May 22, 2014 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  9. Doug in NYC

Wait, wasn't this a perfect opportunity for Operation American Spring? What happened to all the "patriots" who wanted to arrest President Obama?....oh right, it turned into Operation Derp Fail.

May 22, 2014 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. Marie Antoine Obama

.... let them eat M & Ms....

May 22, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. kenman14

ObamaFan, He successfully steered us INTO some of the toughest years in our history!

May 22, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. kenman14

So, THAT was Karen's "best year of her life!"? You won't find many non liberals who lavish such praise onto politicians! And NO, it would not matter if it was Reagan!

May 22, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. ShWill

So refreshing to see our President outside the WH. Hope he can do it more Often

May 22, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. it must be said

Obama goes for a walk
    --–

Or put another way.... "Obama's Major Accomplishment in 3 Years: Gong for a Walk".

May 22, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  15. sammieb51

This president is the best on all levels.

May 22, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  16. Cedric

Ok, people. The man took a walk. Can you let the man get some fresh air without bashing him? Same thing for Bush II and every president before him. We bash him, but most of you Internet "thugs" would almost swallow if you were in the same situation. I don't agree with a lot of his decisions and policies. I did not vote for him during his 2nd election. I do, however, respect the office that he holds, and his status as a human being. Meticulous review of his day-to-day doings is overkill.

May 22, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. Craig

Nice guy. Too bad he can't lead.

May 22, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I sure wish I could meet the POTUS. My favorite one in my lifetime! Don't worry Bill, you're still my guy.... You're just #2 now.....

May 22, 2014 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  19. 1776usa2016

This president has navigated some of the most treacherous political waters in our entire history while at the same time steering the ship of state out from under one of the largest financial calamities in history.

History will judge him well.

May 22, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Cwhat'sNew

No matter what base you are from, you've go go nuts to deny that this guy took the country when it was on a free fall into the great recession, historical level of deficit and in the mess of two wars. He and us made a V and dug it out.

May 22, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. lesleydangeloberggreen

I would have HAD to say 'Forget the M&M's RESTORE UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS , SIGN THE BILL!!!!"

May 22, 2014 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  22. nitecryvl

kenman14, you need to have your memory checked or at least brush up on your very recent American history...
    Who was it that got us into two expensive, unnecessary, and unjust wars again? As I recall, it wasn't Obama!

May 22, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Sidron

What a lovely video, just amazing to see him walking about with the people. One amazing man that had to pick up the ruins of our nation from Bush. So proud of this man for guiding us into a glorious new era. Best president ever.

May 22, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. zenofwordpress

Who are the two total stupid ingrates, about a min. into the video clip, who do not stand up when the President enters the scene; they just sit there on the park bench like two mindless idiots. Everyone knows, you stand up for the President, no matter if you agree with his politics or not. Show some respect people! Sheesh!

May 22, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  25. MRHD

Craig re: "Nice guy. Too bad he can't lead."

Not the greatest leader we've ever had, I'll admit. Still a step up from the Bush years, where we had to say "Nice guy. Too bad he can't read."

May 22, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |