May 22nd, 2014

Obama goes for a walk

(CNN) - President Obama stunned tourists and others outside of the White House as he decided to take a stroll to the nearby Interior Department, accompanied by his sizable security detail.

The White House posted video of the rare outdoor trek, which took place Wednesday.

Obama shook hands, hugged, took photos and passed out White House M&M's to the surprised passers-by.

One woman, who introduced herself as Karen, asked for a picture and said it was "the best day of her life."

"Oh my gosh. Someone's going to think you're like wax," she added, as the photo was being taken.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. James

I believe Obama was wearing a wife beater t-shirt. He is a red neck.

May 22, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. My Only Regret

Too bad this wasn't January 2016 and this was his exit from office. Unfortunately we have to try and survive two more years of the Obama nightmare. Our veterans aren't the only ones being killed by this clown show.

May 22, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. Dave

I have nothing against him taking a stroll in public but this definitely did seem like a bit of a pr stunt with having the camera following him the entire time.

May 22, 2014 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. Joseph

Wow, idc who the president is. Just imagine planning a trip to DC and your day at the National Lawn turns out like this? I mean youre not there if you arent looking for the history of our country and bam! Crazy! BTW I love me some Obama!

May 22, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. chuck

Best day of her life! Bet her son was happy to hear that. "But mommy, you said me being born was the best day of your life,"

May 22, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. Marty

If I had his week I'd take a walk as well! I'd suggest not in front of the VA hospital.

May 22, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. Big Jim

He created some of the worst moments in American history. He has steered us into conflicts with Putin, which weakened America, drew his 'red line', and generally make the US the laughing stock of the world. The worst President ever by a country mile. Carter is very happy indeed. If you like your health care and doctor you can keep them. haha.

May 22, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. Jared

Not a fan of him, but it is pretty cool to see him out and about meeting people just because he can.

May 22, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. OldSchool

Maybe he needs to do this more often. Not necessarily to change the opinions of the nasty, vitriolic people who characterize him as some sort of villain, but to show those who give credence to the aforementioned trolls that maybe they are wrong and are completely detached from reality.

May 22, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Blackmore Village

I saw Ted Nugent hiding in the bushes.

May 22, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Robert Camacho

This is awesome, I respect OUR President. Whether you like it or Not, he is our President.

This show him as he really is like, I have had the opportunity to meet him several times and always great down to earth and always ask how I am doing.

What I love the most about this is how it gets to conservatives to see our President been himself!

Hillary 2016!

May 22, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Ken

I would have liked to meet all of our living Presidents. To date, my only presidential encounter was with President Ford in 1991, when he was visiting UCLA while I was studying there.

May 22, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Rudy NYC

lesleydangeloberggreen

I would have HAD to say 'Forget the M&M's RESTORE UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS , SIGN THE BILL!!!!"
    ------------------------------------
    What bill is that? It's pretty much impossible to sign a bill that died in the Senate from a Republican filibuster before it could even reach the House, where it would have been ignored, anyway.

May 22, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Blackmore Village

liberal disease

instead of working he is out strolling, no wonder why he never knows what is going on our government..

----------------------------------------------

Unlike our last President, this one
    can walk and chew gum.

May 22, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. sly

Ho Ho Ho - always amusing to read the Losers comments. Come on Confederates – we won! America won! President Obama won! And y'all got your confederate butz kicked just like the good ol' days.

Americans hate poor losers. So stifle. This is OUR country now!

As we like to say: AMERICA: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

May 22, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. James B.

Obama learns to walk, news at 11.

May 22, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Big Jim

----------------------–
    I can think of too many "worst moments" than your examples, but I guess it depends upon your point of view. I guess his swearing in ceremony was the worst of all, especially because you had to watch a rerun of it.

May 22, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Silence DoGood

@Rudy NYC
    lesleydangeloberggreen

------------
    -----------
    Example # 47857 of a conservative ranter literally making up (or Rush parroting) an easily debunked fantasy.
    Is this what the might GOP base is reduced to? Conspiracy Theory bought into by weak minds.

May 22, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  19. John

Looks like the Obama cheering squad is out in force. Just because he's a nice guy does not make him an effective President. I wonder how many vet's he's visited in hospitals? I'm guessing not many, too busy hanging in Hollywood for money.

May 22, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  20. hatenapa

Bush would have been pummeled with shoes.

May 22, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. Bill

Do the green M&M's make an insurance policy suddenly become affordable OR healthcare?

May 22, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Ken

I'd be more stunned to actually see him working.

May 22, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. LoveIt

I work around the corner from the White House and often take walks near there during lunch. It would be awesome to "bump" into the President. As with all Presidents, he has his ups and downs, but I like the fact that he's a "real person". Thankful he still has two years left.

May 22, 2014 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. Rich

Looks like the Obama haters are out in full force. Because when is the last time someone was happy to have their photo taken with a Republican president on a stroll? Probably Reagan, but he wasn't out for a stroll, he was wandering around lost.

May 22, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  25. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

All the haters here are pathetic. I love our President and while I don't agree with everything he's done, I thank God every day we didn't elect McGrumpy or Mittens.

May 22, 2014 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |