Christie: 'I am much smaller now'
May 28th, 2014

Christie: 'I am much smaller now'

(CNN) - Gov. Chris Christie is getting some compliments about his shrinking waist line.

After filing a complaint with Christie at a town hall Wednesday in Ocean County, New Jersey, one woman told the Republican governor he looks a lot "smaller."

"Let's not be totally unfair, I am much smaller now than I used to be," he said. "I used to be bigger."

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker']

A little over a year ago, Christie revealed that he underwent lap-band surgery a few months prior, in February 2013.

The governor, who's thinking about running for president, said Wednesday that his wife tells him he needs to buy new suits.

"But I'm on a budget," he added. "I gotta be careful, you know?"

Not long after that, another woman prefaced her question to the governor with some more affirmation.

"By the way, you do look fantastic," she said.

"God bless you," he said in return, as the audience applauded. "I love coming to Ocean County."

Christie talks to Jake Tapper about his weight

Christie knocks Letterman for fat jokes

Christie's weight: Does it matter?

In February, he received a similar compliment at a town hall.

"Rome wasn't unbuilt in a day," he responded.

While he may be losing weight, he still gets ribbed from time to time about his size. Comedian Joel McHale made multiple jokes about the governor at the White House Correspondents Dinner.

Complete Coverage: 2014 Midterm Elections

CNN's Ashley Killough and Steve Kastenbaum contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. P

Still a terrible Governor.

May 28, 2014 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  2. Srgt. Hulka

He's still a RINO

May 28, 2014 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  3. Guest

It doesn't matter. After hearing his stand on amnesty for the invaders, I would never vote for him. He should run as a Democrat, no Independent would get off the couch for this guy.

May 28, 2014 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  4. FedUp

Chris Christy is smaller and Obama isnt weak....Give me a break!!

May 28, 2014 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  5. ManOnPoint

No matter what a GOP member actually accomplishes there will be rude and insensitive comments from biased liberals to come. Never confuse a liberal with actual facts. You just wait...

May 28, 2014 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  6. Biggoofer

Christie has a FAT chance in 2016.

McCain...................Romney..........enough with RINOs.

Sad thing is, Christie may handover the election to yet another socialist Democrat in 2016.

May 28, 2014 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. TJ

Is this a new or old photo?

May 28, 2014 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. George

The only acceptable size for RINO is invisible.

May 28, 2014 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  9. Debbie

He's still a crook just thinner

May 28, 2014 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  10. bulldog

I don't know if he looks better, but he has lost weight and that may be a big plus for his health. I wish him all the best as Governor, but I would never vote for him as President.

May 28, 2014 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  11. Garr Obo

It won't make him any smarter.

May 28, 2014 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  12. Paul Ebert

I find it hard to believe that Christie is a glutton. He probably has a genetic predisposition to being fat. Very few with a similar drive to be President are not able to to overcome a weight problem without some type of surgery. Now, I'll probably vote against him in the primary if he chooses to run, but I won't pile on with the fat comments because he is trying, as are almost 50% of America trying to lose weight, including me. It's not easy and it doesn't happen overnight. It's a seemingly endless battle even for me who's just a few pounds overweight.

May 28, 2014 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  13. Mr. Balls

If that's true, he must have really been humongous!

May 28, 2014 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  14. Logictox

Can you imagine the fallout if CNN did a story about any woman politician and their weight?

May 28, 2014 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  15. just me

Actually, he loves going to those heavily screened town meetings. Straight from 43's playbook.

May 29, 2014 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  16. J.V.Hodgson

"16 tons and whaddya get,
    another day older and deeper in debt.
    I owe my soul to the company store.
    never MIND BRIDGEGATE, SANDY FIASCO, AND HhOBOKEN?
    REGARDS,
    HODGSON.

May 29, 2014 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  17. jdh

is gov. Christie related to a bloak from jersey by the name of brandon daugherty?: because they seem similar.

May 29, 2014 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  18. Jennie

Why are Democrats so mean and nasty to people with weight problems? Most Democrats are obese from sitting on the couch and waiting for their welfare checks while pounding down bags of chips bought using their government food stamps. It must be the self loathing.

May 29, 2014 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  19. SirZac

I love how it's a man and we are discussing his weight, and that media thinks it's newsworthy

May 29, 2014 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  20. Anonymous

What type of diet is this man on, if he has been on this diet for a year, he needs to find another one! He should have lost at least 100 lbs by now, I really can't see that much of difference if any!

May 29, 2014 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  21. American

Maybe we can cut our spending just like Christie cut weight.

To follow that metaphor through, we would simply remove a large chunk of the country. Much easier than "exercising."

May 29, 2014 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  22. Ace

I thought he was referring to his person, not his physical appearance.

May 29, 2014 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  23. mucklucky

OK, you are smaller... how about the state of New Jersey's deficit?

May 29, 2014 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  24. Nic

His chances of winning the presidency are also much smaller now.

May 29, 2014 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  25. Scott

His loss of weight, public workers, and blame on the federal government; anything to deflect attention from the fact that he's a criminal and terrible governor.

May 29, 2014 07:54 am at 7:54 am |