July 1st, 2014

Fewer wins this time, but tea party has changed the GOP

Washington (CNN) - Call it a brief intermission: There's a three-week break in the action after a slew of primaries in May and June and a couple big headlines.

The major story line so far this election cycle is the ongoing battle that pits mainstream Republicans against tea party groups and anti-establishment organizations.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2014 • Congress
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota:
    . "Frankly", he tells me, "I'm disappointed in you".
    -----------------------------------------------------Doesn't that sound just like them, bless their hearts?
    They are nothing if not professional script-flippers.
    Thanks for the invite.
    I think your entire town might be peeking through the windows and would have enough conversation fodder to take them through one of your famous MInnesota winters!

July 1, 2014 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

"Seriously? You don't know?"

I don't know what he knows, but I do know that women have a keen idea of what is happening in politics today. We certainly don't need anyone telling us what we ought to think about binders full of women and SCOTUS rulings and such.

Words and actions speak for themselves.

July 1, 2014 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. truth hurts but reality bites

tom l
    Do you have any intellectual honesty, Rudy? Any at all?
    ---

We all know the answer to this question. He/she/it has been caught in far too many lies in here.

July 1, 2014 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Dr. Brown

Tony d, explain the intent the gop had when changing rule 59 in the house voting rules it was intended to shut down the government, unless you can supply another valid reason, go ahead, give it s shot, crickets.

July 1, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

. After his last visit (no, he's not the same one from last year – that was an associate of my husband's)
    -------------------------------------------------Aww babe, you've got TWO of 'em?!
    I spat my water laughing out loud imagining you on "damage control".
    Give your big lug a big hug from both Wake Up and I!

July 1, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. tom l

"A wise man would stay out of this losing argument, tom. I'm not insinuating anything."
    ====

I know you're not insinuating anything. You are blatantly calling them the biggest deficit spending congress in history. So, yes Rudy, you are being intellectually dishonest because you know for sure that the TEA Party is not the ones responsible for it. You are just, once again, trying to score points for your side while making false statements. It's Tuesday. It's the ticker. So nothing new here.

July 1, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. just asking

rudy,

you claim it is the republicans in the house that are big deficit spenders, yet the democrats refuse to cut any spending or even attempt to cut spending.

you claim it is the house that spends the money, yet you credit bill clinton with balancing the budget in the 90s instead of the republican controlled congress.

so exactly when have democrats ever, ever, cut federal government spending? the sequester (obama's idea) forced their hand and they squealed like stuck pigs and predicted the end of the world (which did not happen).

July 1, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Silence DoGood

GOP – sworn to stop the operation of the government, party of NO.
    TP – threats of violence to convert the country into a theocract.
    At least they both have a plan.

July 1, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Oh hell, here comes the warden......gotta go!

July 1, 2014 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. Donna

Lynda/Minnesota
    -–
    "Seriously? You don't know?"
    -–
    Words and actions speak for themselves.

July 1, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

Tony D wrote:

It is not excuses Rudy, it is fact, it is reality. So are you now saying you and all the other leftist Democrats will agree to cut federal government spending to balance the budget? EXCELLENT!! Let's hear the hundreds of billions you will cut, and please be specific. I eagerly await your response and this historic break through. I'm sure Obama will also support cutting hundreds of billions in spending right?
    -----------------------------
    I am glad to see that you have accepted the fact that, per your definition, Tea Party Houses have been the biggest deficit spenders in U.S. history. Why do you want Democrats to write a budget for you? Do your own job, man. The Tea Party came to DC promising a balanced budget, so show us how to do it.

You guys are the self proclaimed experts. We've already seen what your side can [actually can't] do. Simple Arithmetic. The Ryan Budget didn't eliminate the annual deficit for at least 30 years. The budget wonk didn't realize it until the CBO evaluated his proposals and pointed it out to him. Ryan admitted that he hadn't "run the numbers" on his own budget when asked what the national debt would be when his budget finally balanced.

July 1, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

"I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way we could meet, wouldn't that be neat?!"

Oh, yes! Absolutely. Or at least share some truly hilarious conversations. Wink. Wink.

July 1, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. Rudy NYC

tom l

====

----------------------------------
    A wise man would stay out of this losing argument, tom. I'm simply following the definition laid out by your fellow conservative. If I'm being dishonest, as you put it, then actually you're calling your fellow conservative dishonest and accusing him of making false statements. Don't blame me. I'm just the messenger here. Blame Tony D.

July 1, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

Aww babe, you've got TWO of 'em?!

Binders full ... if you count my brothers and cousins. I've been surrounded by 'em since birth.

A few of the boys grew up to be loving, caring men. The others? Not so much.

(I'll pass that hug on to hubby. Thanks ... he's always been a keeper and I am fortunate to have him.)

July 1, 2014 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. Lynda/Minnesota

"I spat my water laughing out loud imagining you on "damage control".

Yeah. How do you tell a man well past his time (when you yourself are past YOUR time) that ... well, he's not all that impressive?

July 1, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

"Correct. And the Obama administration is paying the women less than the men. Actions speak LOUDER than words."

Silly, Donna. EVERYONE is paying women less than men.

July 1, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

tom l

“And I—and I went to my staff, and I said, ‘How come all the people for these jobs are—are all men.’ They said: ‘Well, these are the people that have the qualifications.’ And I said: ‘Well, gosh, can't we—can't we find some—some women that are also qualified?’ And—and so we—we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet. I went to a number of women's groups and said: ‘Can you help us find folks,’ and they brought us whole binders full of women.”

======

Does that sound like the words of a male chauvinist pig?
    -------------------------------------
    Yes, that is exactly the type of pickle that a male chauvinist pig would find himself in. It reminds of his anecdote to Rick Perry, I think it was. Romney said that he had to tell his contractor to get rid of any illegals because he was running for office. He should have fired the contractor and gotten a new one. The binders full of women is not all that different, except in reverse. He had a few or no women at all, and he wanted to burnish his public image.

July 1, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. Chris..E.al

Democrats are a catastrophe .

July 1, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

just asking

rudy,

-----------------------------–
    I'll warn you, too. A wise person would stay out of this losing argument. I'm just the messenger, who applied the talking point that was handed to me on a silver platter.

BTW, do you folks EVER listen to what you say. You answered your own question. The sequester cut spending.

"...so exactly when have democrats ever, ever, cut federal government spending? the sequester (obama's idea) ..."

TAA-DAA.

July 1, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rudy NYC
    The Tea Party never really changed its' tune. It's still against raising taxes, something Grover Norquist has made sure of nearly two decades now with his signed pledges. No, the local group here was simply overrun by people who had higher priorities than taxes... ... many of them were haters and birthers
    -----------------–
    Exactly. Higher priorities than taxes. Like what Rudy?
    When your initial priorities (lower taxes) are superceded and overrun by HIGHER priorities ( haters and birthers) it would be fair to say "the tune has changed".
    In other words when you start out with one goal in mind, and that goal brings in a diverse group of people, then your main goal changes to the point where you are left with little to no diversity, once again, it would be fair to say that their "tune has changed".
    The Tea Party may have started out under the premise of Taxed Enough Already but seeing how they became the most vocal supporters of the top 1% and most vocal obstructionists to this President, they just need to go on and call themselves what they are: Republicans.
    ----------------------------
    I guess you're right. The "Tea Party" did change its' primary message from taxes to social issues. But, the extreme right wing has always been there on the fringe, hovering and acting like enforcers. A decade these people were calling themselves "Minute Men." The fringe elements that overran the Tea Party has always been around. They saw an opportunity to teach a large group of people what to think and took advantage of it.

July 1, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Fair is Fair

tom l

======

Does that sound like the words of a male chauvinist pig? This is the dem version of "what difference does it make" taking something totally out of context and then labeling him so you can divide and conquer. Dude noticed that the only candidates were men and didn't feel that was right and went out specifically to hire women and you call him a male chauvinist pig. Can you provide some examples of this? Other than you're deciding you know exactly what is in Mitt Romney's heart, of course, since you are the all knowing man. While you're at it, why don't you look up all of the complaints about him from women that worked with him because that will demonstrate how much of a male chauvinist he is. I don't think you will find that because he's just not. He spoke "inarticulately" much like Hillary. Why do you defend her and then use this against him?
    --------
    Careful, Tom. The canned Rudy response of "conservatives don't understand sarcasm" is on the way...

Rudy – you're getting smacked around pretty badly today. It's past noon... why not start early?

July 1, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Donna

Lynda/Minnesota
    Silly, Donna. EVERYONE is paying women less than men.

Well isn't that Obama being a total hypocrite? We have all heard about his pen. Why doesn't he just issue an Executive Order and fix it in a few seconds? He could be the first to guarantee total income equality and set one salary for everybody in his administration, say $75,000. Why doesn't he put his pen where his mouth is?

July 1, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. just asking

Rudy NYC
    TAA-DAA.

then why did the democrats and obama lie to the nation and say it was the republicans that were cutting with the sequester?

July 1, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. vikingwoman

Yeah the Tea party has turned it into the GOTP! It's a leach, latching onto an established party to wreak their insane viewpoints, which they want to legislate! The GOP should kick them to the curb, but it seems some agree with the madness, others are too lazy to do something! Women, 'minorities', LGBT's, elderly, immigrants are all in their crosshairs & the SCOTUS just made it easier for these types to insert their religion into secular matters! Voting & educating ourselves is the only recourse!!

July 1, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. Tony D

I do believe that Rudy has now lied himself into a knot. Quite Obama-ish!! Congrats Rudy!!

July 1, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |