August 20th, 2014

Bush takes plunge, challenges Clinton

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush took the ice bucket challenge, and is now challenging his predecessor in the White House to follow in his footsteps.

In a video posted on his Facebook page, Bush takes a soaking from his wife, former First Lady Laura Bush, and then nominates former President Bill Clinton to take the challenge.

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker']

The challenge is raging this summer on social media, as people get doused with a bucket of ice water in order to bring awareness – and raise money – to combat amyotropic lateral sclerosis, better known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Politicians get soaked

$15 million pours in from ice bucket challenge

"Thanks to Jenna Bush Hager, Rory McIlroy, Woody Johnson, and Coach Jim Harbaugh for the #IceBucketChallenge," wrote Bush on his Facebook page.

In the video, Bush said "to you all who've challenged me, I do not think it's presidential for me to be splashed with ice water, so I'm simply going to write you a check.”

Moments later, after she pours a bucket of ice water on top of her husband, the former first lady said "that check is from me. I don't want to ruin my hairstyle."

Bush then called on Clinton to get wet, saying, "Now it's my privilege to challenge my friend Bill Clinton to the ALS challenge. Yesterday was Bill's birthday and my gift to Bill is a bucket of cold water."

Celebs embrace ice bucket challenge

Bush's successor in the White House so far has decided to stay dry. President Barack Obama has declined to take the challenge, but instead has made a donation to an ALS charity, according to the White House.

Bush's chilly dunking was arranged, in part, by his daughter Jenna Bush Hager, an NBC "Today" show correspondent.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • George W. Bush
  1. Tom l

Dude does a good thing and the hyper partisans on the right and left can’t help themselves but continue to say why the other side is so bad.
    _______________
    On a more serious note Tom I- do you really consider Mr. Bush’s donation ($100, $1,000 or whatever) to be a get-out- of-jail-free card? Because of this man, Iraq is still in flames; 125,000 of its innocent citizens died uselessly in a war he brought them, and 2 million more were spread across the world as refugees. Ignore the 7,000 U.S. war dead, and the tens of thousands maimed. Never mind the economic devastation he wrought here in our own nation.$100 fixes that for you? Sure he did a good thing today. A day late and a dollar (or a few trillion) short.
    Would you so willingly “forgive” Ms. Clinton for the Benghazi issues you clutch to so firmly? I doubt it.

Yes, because these are different issues. So while I am with you and was against us invading Iraq and find much fault with Clinton, I would applaud their efforts in this case. You can't do that because you are so hyper partisan and have such anger and vitriol towards the ones that don't agree with you politically that you only see them as 100% evil. So creating awareness and making donations to help cure this awful disease should be looked at favorably.

August 20, 2014 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  2. excuse my rant

Klutch Cargo
    You shouldn't confuse Bill Clinton, wouldn't be fair, wouldn't be prudent. If only 911 had happened on Bill Clinton't watch......
    ___________________________
    Seriously, dude? Seriously? That's your comment? You don't want to say something else....maybe like...I don't know...if only 911 had NEVER HAPPENED AT ALL. Instead of wishing that a terrible event never took place you just wish it happened "on someone else's watch".

August 20, 2014 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  3. smith

@rs-So is Bill Clinton a horrible person aswell? Thousands were killed in Somalia, Bosnia, and Iraq when used military force or does that only apply to Republicans.

August 20, 2014 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  4. Sniffit

He should do another bathtub selfie painting in ice water and auction it for the charity....will need a really tiny brush....

August 20, 2014 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. don in albuquerque

Lizzie
    Personally wrote that check for him did you?

August 20, 2014 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

smith

-------------------------–
    Don't you know, or at least recognize, the difference between a military intervention in an existing conflict, and executing a military invasion of a sovereign nation to start a new war? Your letting your obvious biases cloud your judgement.

August 20, 2014 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  7. rs

smith

________________
    Bosnia, in your mind is like invading the wrong country for no logical reason?

August 20, 2014 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  8. Sniffit

""Yes, the hyper partisans are just ridiculous. I honestly don't care whether you think I am a hyper partisan. I know who I am. And I know that both sides on extreme are wrong."
    ---------–
    Don't worry, dude. We know exactly what you are, too. You're hyper anti-partisan, truly one of a kind. No ideology."

I beg to differ. Tom has displayed dogmatic ideology. he subscribes to the silliness of the false equivalence narrative...things like claiming that the GOP/Teatrolls proposing the destruction of SS and Medicare "might" be extreme, "but if it is, then it is equally as extreme as" a Dem POTUS adopting the "extreme leftist" individual mandate the GOP/Teatrolls proposed in the 90's as part of his healthcare reform proposals. He then turns around and claims that blatantly race-oriented, hyperpartisan nonsense like voter ID laws and the rest of the GOP/Teatrolls' voter suppression laws are just "common sense" solutions to [problems that don't exist]. So no no, little tommy is certainly an ideologue and he certainly chooses sides...he just likes to pretend he doesn't because he knows very well that the argument of "everything's broken and gov't can never do anything right," which he ascribes to, is furthered when you can get as many people as possible to simply believe that both sides are he same, their solutions equally "extreme" and that nobody can be trusted.

August 20, 2014 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. it must be said

George Bush has higher approval number than the failure in the White House! Way to go George!!

August 20, 2014 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Steve

I wanted to say something nice about Bush but then after seeing what some said about Clinton and Obama no.
    By the way losers get ready for President Hillary Clinton.

August 20, 2014 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. Lizzie

Wake up.... How do you know he donated anything.

August 20, 2014 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  12. Wow

Guys…. This is a human thing, not a political thing, stop comparing their resumes! I am positive both men are proud of most of the things they did, and I am equally positive that both have some regrets…. Whether you think they were good or bad presidents, I think they are both good people. The fact that there families are so close, which they are, just goes to show that politics is secondary to our humanity. This is a great cause and an ingenious way to draw attention to it and raise money to fight it. It's a human thing!

August 20, 2014 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. rs

______________________
    Your opinion only, sir.
    And once again you are wrong- I did not say that Bush didn't do something good.
    As far as anger and vitriol- again only your opinion or perception. The Right is a complete freak show, frankly. Nothing it does or stands for makes any sense at all. As a former ardent Republican, I am appalled at their descent into madness and depravity- and I staunchly defend my right to call out the purveyors of their nonsense. The GOP is America's single greatest threat- it is my duty sir, to call out those working so hard to wreck our nation. As one who constantly defends the Right either fully, or with your childish equivalency arguments, please expect to get called on it- especially when your comment was one of the first posted here today.

August 20, 2014 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. Patrick

Rudy NYC

TOM L wrote;

---------–

----------–
    Not really one of a kind. Pot meet kettle.

August 20, 2014 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. John Bouy

... butt seriously folks, I think that Hillary would be MORE than happy to dump a bucket of ice water on Bill, ... for charity or for any other reason. LoL! It's all in good fun, and after all, the 8 years under Bill Clinton's watch were 8 of the most prosporous years in America over the last hundred years (without all the profits going to the Fat-cat Republicans)!

August 20, 2014 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. smith

@rs-We used military force in Bosnia to remove a dictator. Gee, we used military force in Iraq to remove a dictator. At the end of the day its still the same thing.

August 20, 2014 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. Anonymous

I now challenge him to a waterboarding.

August 20, 2014 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. Ol' Yeller

This would be more appropriate were mr. bush lain prone on a slightly inclined plane with his hands tied and a rag placed forcefully over his mouth and nose.... then the water poured slowly onto his face while he writhed about begging for it to stop... only it wouldn't.... not until he admitted to (fill in the blank- because he would admit to anything- just like the folks he allowed to be tortured).
    I'd pay to see that.

Though I'd pay more to see it done to cheney or rumsfeld (or sean hannity- I'd pay BIG bucks to see hannity squirm).

August 20, 2014 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. Ace

Should have waterboarded him while they were at it.

August 20, 2014 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  20. Gurgyl

@it must be said, you are so right, W approval is high? In whose eyes? In finding WMD? In looting treasury? Be glad, that failure has gotten your Healthcare, no one can deny your cancer in brain. Truth. You can cure your brain cancer with ACA Law. Good lucks.

August 20, 2014 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  21. Roy

President Bush was not my favorite by any means, but I salute him for being a good sport with the ice bucket challenge. Well done, sir.

August 20, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. rs

smith

____________________________
    Explain the role of NATO and the UN in Bosnia- now tell me that is just like Cowboy George's "go it alone" Iraq adventure. You may also need to consider the results. From where I am sitting, Iraq hardly looks to be better off, never mind a success.

August 20, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  23. rcj112

I could go the rest of my life without hearing about Bush or Cheney. Their "Legacy" is the reason we can't get out of Iraq.....

August 20, 2014 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. smith

@Rudy-First, the Special Forces operation to remove Adid in Somalia was all Bill Clinton. Second, If you join in a war you take on the same reponsability as the ones who started it. Last, your simply trying to make an excuse for Democrats using military force or being active in a war.

August 20, 2014 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  25. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Lizzie says:
    August 20, 2014 11:16 am at 11:16 am
    Wake up…. How do you know he donated anything.

Are you saying he didn't?

If you had bothered to read the very first article where Ethel Kennedy made the challenge, you too would know that President Obama declined the challenge and opted to donate money instead.

You can read can't you?