August 20th, 2014

Bush takes plunge, challenges Clinton

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush took the ice bucket challenge, and is now challenging his predecessor in the White House to follow in his footsteps.

In a video posted on his Facebook page, Bush takes a soaking from his wife, former First Lady Laura Bush, and then nominates former President Bill Clinton to take the challenge.

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker']

The challenge is raging this summer on social media, as people get doused with a bucket of ice water in order to bring awareness – and raise money – to combat amyotropic lateral sclerosis, better known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Politicians get soaked

$15 million pours in from ice bucket challenge

"Thanks to Jenna Bush Hager, Rory McIlroy, Woody Johnson, and Coach Jim Harbaugh for the #IceBucketChallenge," wrote Bush on his Facebook page.

In the video, Bush said "to you all who've challenged me, I do not think it's presidential for me to be splashed with ice water, so I'm simply going to write you a check.”

Moments later, after she pours a bucket of ice water on top of her husband, the former first lady said "that check is from me. I don't want to ruin my hairstyle."

Bush then called on Clinton to get wet, saying, "Now it's my privilege to challenge my friend Bill Clinton to the ALS challenge. Yesterday was Bill's birthday and my gift to Bill is a bucket of cold water."

Celebs embrace ice bucket challenge

Bush's successor in the White House so far has decided to stay dry. President Barack Obama has declined to take the challenge, but instead has made a donation to an ALS charity, according to the White House.

Bush's chilly dunking was arranged, in part, by his daughter Jenna Bush Hager, an NBC "Today" show correspondent.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • George W. Bush
  1. O'drama ya Mama

He was supposed to nominate 3 people not 1. He couldnt even get that right.

August 20, 2014 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  2. Klutch Cargo

Er, Aw,
    Excuse my rant. Sorry! It was Bill (Rhodes Scholar) Clinton who mumbled too bad 911 didn't happen on my watch! Well sometimes we just get lucky! But it was the Clinton Administration that warned the Bush administration about Ben Laden problem. But Clinton did squat about it! So what the H else are you ranting and raving about! Next thing you know you will be blaming Bush because you don't have a job! Go soak your head!

I know all about ALS. Just lost a close family member to the disease.

August 20, 2014 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  3. johnny oldtimer

Bad idea. Clinton has had heart problems and the jolt of cold water could trigger a medical relapse

August 20, 2014 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

smith

@rs-We used military force in Bosnia to remove a dictator. Gee, we used military force in Iraq to remove a dictator. At the end of the day its still the same thing.
    -----------------------
    You're living and breathing in a different world from the rest of us. So, if I crash someone else's picnic and eat a hot dog, and then if I go to a hot dog truck for a hot dog, then in both cases it's "just lunch." Got it.

August 20, 2014 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. just saying

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....
    Btw Chrissy, President Obama is a sitting POTUS. He doesn't need to drop ice water on his head. He donated money.

obama just doesn't want to get wakened up as he is afraid he'll actually have to do some work.

August 20, 2014 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

O'drama ya Mama

He was supposed to nominate 3 people not 1. He couldn't even get that right.
    ----------------------------
    Nah, cut him some slack. He probably had a legitimate case of brain freeze.

August 20, 2014 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  7. John R

The real issue is there was no ice used in this video, defeats the point. He gets a cup of water tossed on him from a huge bucket and that's it. The guy is still out of touch while he sits comfortably ensconced in his coastal Maine compound. Maybe all those refugees he created would like a drink of that water and have a nice life too?

August 20, 2014 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. Sniffit

"I now challenge him to a waterboarding."

win.

August 20, 2014 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Ol' Yeller

@smith

"@Rudy-First, the Special Forces operation to remove Adid in Somalia was all Bill Clinton. Second, If you join in a war you take on the same reponsability as the ones who started it. Last, your simply trying to make an excuse for Democrats using military force or being active in a war."

So... you want to compare Somalia with the Iraq war?
    Really?

I guess I didn't realize the Somalia mission lasted over a decade and cost us trillions of dollars and thousands of soldiers lives.
    And killed 100's of thousands of inocent civilians.
    And resulted in the US torturing people.
    And we still have prisoners in Gitmo from that operation.
    And we still have thousands of Vets with serious problems from there.

Shall I go on?

August 20, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. jim

@Klutch Cargo
    But Clinton did squat about it! (911) ....

W was reading to children when the planes hit, and continued to do so from what I remember.

After that, what exactly to W do to right the wrong of 911?

August 20, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. SP

What a great sport! One of the best Ex-Presidents!!

August 20, 2014 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Tom l

When did I ever say I don't choose sides? The difference is that sometimes I choose positions that are on the right and sometimes I choose positions that are on the left. That is entirely different from someone like you, Sniffit, rs and Rudy. You are always on the left. Hard-core. And you also think that the politicians on the left care about you. I, on the other hand, know that they couldn't care less about any of us. They only care about their wallet and about their power.

August 20, 2014 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. Chris..E.Al

August 20, 2014 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. jim

@tom l

"Dude does a good thing and the hyper partisans on the right and left can't help themselves but continue to say why the other side is so bad."

-----------

Ok?!? .. Dude does a bad thing by sending 4000+ good US soldiers to their deaths without just cause (WMD), not to mention the 100,000+ Iraqis who also died.

A bucket of water over the head is a good thing??? – for all the bad things W did, who cares about a bucket of water over the head???

August 20, 2014 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

I think this whole challenge thing is not making a whole lot of sense, at least not to me.. I think the challenge should be donate the challenged amount, or take the ice water shower so that the challenger donates the bucks.

I wish that I could put up my 1%, $100, to Mitt Romney's 100%, $10,000.

August 20, 2014 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  16. Chris..E.Al

Oh no i must go the warden is coming he dont know im spending his money to get all wet ? Remind you of anyone ? Very good ethics on display ? hmmm says it all .

August 20, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  17. AnonyMouse

johnny oldtimer
    -–

oh come on! his medical problems sure haven't stopped him from running around on hillary! no excuses!

now hillary on the other hand couldn't take the plunge because of her brain injury.

August 20, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  18. smith

@rs-So the UN and NATO excuse the US for using military force? I hardly think so.

August 20, 2014 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  19. Mark

How many of these ice-bucket videos do we have to watch? Sadly, the choice is to take the ice bucket bath OR donate to ALS. Why isn't that you have to do both???? The donation should be part of the challenge. Everyone who's taking the ice bucket bath is doing it so that they do NOT have to donate.

August 20, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. KungFuKool

If Bush wants to earn any respect he should allow himself to be waterboarded publicly since he doesn't consider it torture. It's probably quite pleasant right republicans?

August 20, 2014 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. strangways

He took the challenge thinking ice water would feel warm and fuzzy. Yet ANOTHER thing W got wrong!

August 20, 2014 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. Joseph Sico

Ummmm Where was the ICE?!?!

August 20, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. smith

@Ol`Yeller-Your missing the point. My point is both Dems and Repubs have used military force why call only one out? Btw, I`ll raise you one. The Veitnam war had 10 times more US troops killed and 10 times more non-combatants killed and the US entered that war by direction of a Democrat. Shall I go on?

August 20, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

smith

-------–
    ---------–
    Pretty horrible comparison / analogy, Sparky... even for you.

August 20, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

just saying says:
    August 20, 2014 11:59 am at 11:59 am
    Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross…..
    Btw Chrissy, President Obama is a sitting POTUS. He doesn’t need to drop ice water on his head. He donated money.
    —-

obama just doesn’t want to get wakened up as he is afraid he’ll actually have to do some work.

He damn sure works harder than you. Anyone that thinks being the POTUS is easy is insane. Especially with half the country praying you fail.

August 20, 2014 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |